Test your headphone jack!!

kath00

Reaction score
Shoot. I was going to sleep on this and decide what to do about an exchange (took me forever to configure my phone) but as a hardware issue, I want to get it exchanged ASAP. I bought a brand new pair of nice Sony in-ear headphones and they arrived today and lo and behond, the hisssss is still there (I thought it was my cheapo earphones from before). So I am calling customer support tomorrow. Has anyone gotten a replacement? I want to be 100% sure that the replacement phones are being tested.

Kat

sweenbeen

Reaction score
Has anyone been having this issue on the X/X2 because I have! Sucks!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

sweenbeen

Reaction score
I also get a clicking noise in pandora... blahhh lol

Has anyone been having this issue on the X/X2 because I have! Sucks!

lykofos

Reaction score
I rarely use headphones with my phone, except during a flight, but tested this out anyway. I noticed it very distinctly on mine too. Don't use headphones enough for it to be a deal breaker tho.

But, I will be following that thread on the motorola support website and will send mine out for a replacement when it's confirmed that the newer models they're sending out to people as replacements no longer have the issue.

mantispid

Reaction score
I went to my local Verizon store to see if I could find a Bionic that did not have this headset jack high-pitched whine problem.

I went through five of them, and every single one had it... but to varying degrees. Some were barely noticeable, some were rather loud. I suspect there is an entire batch of some sort of electronic component like a capacitor or somesuch that barely passed QC, built into the initial production run.

Hopefully I'm wrong on this and it is something that can be patched. The Verizon rep said I could get a warranty replacement for it later if a software update doesn't fix it, and that he was putting in a notice to the regional Verizon division about this issue.

GBH2

Reaction score
Well, bad news. An astute Bionic owner has confirmed it's a hardware issue: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/469889#469889

Thank you for posting this. However, I read through his post and all he did was prove he was able to produce a signal by connecting the headphone ground and microUSB ground. So what? We know there is some unwanted feedback. It doesn't prove anything about the problem or it's possible solution and it in no way rules out a software fix.

haproot

Reaction score
I can verify 2 different Bionics in my neck of the woods that have this issue. hard to notice in a noisy work environment, but it is there none the less.

haproot

Reaction score
Friend of mine at work has a dock, so for S&G's I threw it in the dock and hooked my headphones up to the rear output. Noise seems to be gone. So maybe a workaround?
Volume doesn't seem to get as high tho.

phoenixus

Reaction score
If Motorola eventually comes out and says this is a hardware problem, do we go through Verizon or Motorola to get the phone exchanged?

Are we subject then to a "refurbished" unit since the day 1 owners will be outside the 14 day return period?

kath00

Reaction score
Good questions. On day 14 today and I returned the phone! I am just going to wait a few months for them to fix the bugs and then either rebuy it or buy the newest/latest/greatest at that time. Till then, back to my trusty Droid X!

Katherine

redwood

Reaction score
Good questions. On day 14 today and I returned the phone! I am just going to wait a few months for them to fix the bugs and then either rebuy it or buy the newest/latest/greatest at that time. Till then, back to my trusty Droid X!

Katherine

Same here...after not hearing the issue I got into a quiet environment and it was there. Not totally troublesome, but for this much $ that phone should be able to walk on water. Will wait to see how it shakes out. Small glitch in the return, my upgrade eligibility now says 2013...working with VZW to get it fixed.

lanza_david

Reaction score
I just received these headphones from Amazon Amazon.com: Coby Isolation Stereo Earphones with Volume Control CVE91BLK (Black): Electronics they were $5 bucks and completely solved the issue. There is a inline volume control.
I am happy once again.

At home I borrowed a pair of headphones with a microphone to test mine and I was happy that I did not hear the whine. These had volume control. However, I have regular earphones at work and the whine is there. Quite annoying.

What to do...

Has anyone here who bought it online through costco (wireless advocates) contacted them about this issue? What are they saying?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

brianlayman

Reaction score
For what it's worth, my ticket had been transfered to the Motorola engineering department. Yesterday they called me back, admitted there was an issue and they said that they've resolved it with a software fix that will be coming out within the next few weeks. They also assured me that if the software fix didn't resolve the issue for me, they would see that I was satisfied.