Test your headphone jack!!

CronoDL

Reaction score
I hear the high pitch squealing. However, if I hadn't read about it on this thread before I had bought my Bionic, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. It's certainly there whenever any audio plays, but it's pretty much drowned out by any music or video that's playing.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Glad I use BT headphones

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
That's my concern I don't think this will be a software fix. Sounds like a ground loop issue to me which would require a hardware fix. I hope it can be patched though.

That'd be my best guess as well. Sure sounds like a ground isolation issue.

johnny_waz

Reaction score
I fear we need to hurt motorola's financial gains from this phone before we'll get a response from them on this issue. Call your local news, and news papers to complain about this issue. I bet if it makes national news headlines then the problem "MAY" get an answer from motorola or a resolution. Until their pocket books are hurt by this i'm betting not a thing will be done about it.

I'm suprised Iphone junkies are not all over this issue. It sure would help their cause/sales even though I despise them.

OP
PhontomF

PhontomF

Reaction score
I found you can hear this sound through the external speaker too if you put it right next to your ear with volume down and then pause you can hear it kick off. It's not something with the headphone jack itself. You will need very good hearing for this though.

318Droid

Reaction score
For the last three days, I been trying to listen to this sound that everyone is complaining about but I havent yet to hear it. I tried like u guys said to test it but still not hearing . I bought the phone on launch as soon as the store opened. I listen to music daily as it let's time pass while I'm at and I still haven't heard the pitch or whine and I'm picky for issues like that. I've dealt with car audio/video for the last 10 years and I know what the sound sounds like but I can't hear out from my phone. is everyone s phone doing the same thing or is it a select few?

Scribble

Reaction score
Ok so I finally got around to grabbing my headphones and listening... I get the squeal. :( I get the feeling it's either in all of them, or a large portion of them.

(Side note I can only hear it in my left ear... apparently my right ear has less frequency range. boo.)

If you get a cheaper pair of headphones you probably won't hear it because they don't cover the proper frequency. I sure hope this is a software thing.

P.S. if you play music, and then turn the sound all the way down, all you hear is the squeal.

phoenixus

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a factory reset to see if that by slim chance fixes this?

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Yep, done one (not for this reason) and it's still there. It's 99.9% a hardware issue.

phoenixus

Reaction score
If I go to verizon to exchange this, does anyone know if you have to also bring the original box?

lstroyan

Reaction score
My husband and I both have Bionics now that his Droid started acting funky. The squeal is present on both but slightly stronger on mine (same headphones). I think it's probably all machines and not worth swapping out a phone, personally.

For the last three days, I been trying to listen to this sound that everyone is complaining about but I havent yet to hear it. I tried like u guys said to test it but still not hearing . ?

The only way I really hear (notice) it is if I play music with the sound all the way turned down. Why would I care, then, you ask? Because I've found that high-pitched squeals will give me a headache if I listen to them for very long.

However, I don't listen to music on headphones all that much; usually I listen in the car with a sucky adapter anyway :) So I'll probably go the attenuator route, myself.

L

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm 45, can't hear it with the phone turned down and I don't even have any earbuds to test it. Won't use it that much anyway.

GoBears86

Reaction score
One thing I noticed, which leads me to believe that it is not a headphone jack problem, is that when I listen to music using the stock music player, through the phone speakers, and put my ear right up to the phone, I can still hear the white noise 'whine'. It is not as pronounced as through headphones, but it is the exact same issue (with volume all the way down and music playing, white noise is evident, when the music is paused, white noise is evident for a few seconds and then a brief 'pop' followed by silence). This makes me slightly more optimistic that we are dealing with an issue that can be addressed via software update, but we will have to wait and see.