Techies, Tweakers and Hackers Dominate Android?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
fastboot.jpeg

Is Android's ecosystem boring and stale, or is customizability just part of the fun? We'd like to think the latter is true, but lets take a closer look.

It's been said that users do not like to pay for apps in the Market and the media operators have long held this same sentiment, but surfing the forums tells an entirely different story. There are hundreds of threads dedicated to the many different apps, widgets and launchers that allow users to customize their handsets. With every new smartphone release the inevitable "Show us your home screen" thread pops up. In those threads you can see literally thousands of different set-ups using the variety of launchers, widgets and applications available in the Market.

The current top paid Android app goes for $14.00 USD and has been downloaded hundreds of thousands of times according to the Android Market. That app is a launcher known as SPB Shell 3D. The next gen launcher changes the UI to a thing of beauty. Beauty is in the eye of the holder, but as you can see from the numbers, it appears many agree with this statement.

Looking even deeper reveals that users are ravenous for utilities that extend Androids core functionality. Keyboard replacements, alternative launchers, and odd sounding widgets find themselves on thousands upon thousands of handsets. Going deeper into the rabbit hole reveals a whole subset of 'hackers" intent on snatching up Advanced backup utilities, file explorers and ROM replacement tools. Besides games, customization is alive and well in Android land and users are intent on customizing their devices even if it means they have to pay for it. Thats the beauty of Android most will say.

All of this leads to a few possible conclusions; that there is a high level of dissatisfaction with the stock and not so stock Android ecosystem, and/or the customer base is skewed more toward techies, tweakers and hackers who want to customize Android because they can. You tell us.

Via: paidcontent

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
fastboot.jpeg

Is Android's ecosystem boring and stale or is customizability just part of the fun? We'd like to think the latter is true, but lets take a closer look.

It's been said that users do not like to pay for apps in the Market and the media operators have long held this same sentiment, but surfing the forums tells an entirely different story. There are hundreds of threads dedicated to the many different apps, widgets and launchers that allow users to customize their handsets. With every new smartphone release the inevitable "Show us your home screen" thread pops up. In those threads you can see literally thousands of different set-ups using the variety of launchers, widgets and applications available in the Market.

The current top paid Android app goes for $14.00 USD and has been downloaded hundreds of thousands of times according to the Android Market. That app is a launcher known as SPB Shell 3D. The next gen launcher changes the UI to a thing of beauty. Beauty is in the eye of the holder, but as you can see from the numbers, it appears many agree with this statement.

Looking even deeper reveals that users are ravenous for utilities that extend Androids core functionality. Keyboard replacements, alternative launchers, and odd sounding widgets find themselves on thousands upon thousands of handsets. Going deeper into the rabbit hole reveals a whole subset of 'hackers" intent on snatching up Advanced backup utilities, file explorers and ROM replacement tools. Besides games, customization is alive and well in Android land and users are intent on customizing their devices even if it means they have to pay for it. Thats the beauty of Android most will say.

All of this leads to a few possible conclusions; that there is a high level of dissatisfaction with the stock and not so stock Android ecosystem, and/or the customer base is skewed more toward techies, tweakers and hackers who want to customize Android because they can. You tell us.

Via: paidcontent

idk about anyone else, i know im in the techie and tweaker category, but personally i just like my phone to really be MY phone, i want it to be unique, i want it to stand out, and i think lots of other people like that personalization too and android phones really can be customized unlike any before
come to think of it i know a few people who arent techies at all but still are into the whole customization of their phones
personalization is one of the things that makes android, android

and yeah stock gingerbread and earlier is kind of boring but ics is awesome.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
im running ics on the rezound and its darn near the same as on my nexus...nuff said. Hackers,tweakers, keep doing your thing.

oh and the nfc thing....yeah its gonna be a matter of sooner rather than later:

http://www.devicefidelity.com/

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I have the same sentiments as metalspring. I think that the same can be applied to most everything we as consumers want, make or buy. Computers, cars or trucks, guns, etc (limited list of what came to mind). Mankind is the tinkering sort and that has led to new developments and all sorts of improvements. After all, who wants to hear "This is for you Comrade!" and it is just like everybody else has? Well, maybe a few. Even to the basic of cultures, people have "messed" around with their things.

FWIW, I am still running my Galaxy Nexus stock. I like ICS and the device. I am waiting for the OTA but will root afterwards just to make it mine :wink-b:

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I fall into the techie tweaker category, but will hack(ie root) when I have no choice to get my phone the way it was promised or I want it. This goes for pretty much everything else I own too lol.

EDIT: I have spent my fair share in the app market and feel the costs are fair and necessary to keep devs developing.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
As long as android is available on low-mid range devices sales per unit figures will stay low. Cheap people will not buy apps. Now the Appstore on the other hand has the advantage of 1. not offering quality free apps (not as many as android anyways) and 2. Cheap people will not spend $200+ on a phone and then complain about buying an app for .99c

Overall, most android users buy apps, but the eco system has a lot of kids (with no credit cards) and cheapskates who want everything for free.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As long as android is available on low-mid range devices sales per unit figures will stay low. Cheap people will not buy apps. Now the Appstore on the other hand has the advantage of 1. not offering quality free apps (not as many as android anyways) and 2. Cheap people will not spend $200+ on a phone and then complain about buying an app for .99c

Overall, most android users buy apps, but the eco system has a lot of kids (with no credit cards) and cheapskates who want everything for free.

Nothing wrong with being cheap as long as you not pirating. If the app is good ill pay. My problem is I buy an app and not only does it suck but the dev dont support it and my money is gone. Yeah it's 1.99 but still $2 can buy you a 20oz coke still.

Spiderwebb71688

Reaction score
Launcher Pro FTW!

I personally think that stock android is pretty boring. I have 3 friends with the gnex and I've played around with 4.0 a lot. I like the folders. Other than that i prefer launcher pro and will definitely stick with it when my razr gets ICS. Really google, no homescreen looping? C'mon man!

riko540

Reaction score
I like the wow factor I get from tweaking my phone. Guess that makes me a techy and tweaker.