New Canalys Report Indicates Android Apps May be Too Expensive

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 24, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,735
    [​IMG]

A new report from the marketing research firm, Canalys indicates that the top paid-for Android apps were priced “dramatically higher” than those on iOS for the iPhone. In fact, apps on Android reportedly cost two and a half times higher than they do on iOS. Their survey indicated that 82 of the top 100 paid apps in Apple’s App Store were priced at just $0.99, compared to only 22 in the Android Market. Here's their full press release with even more details on their study,

Hmmm... I wonder what is causing this big disparity. Share your thoughts in the forums on this topic.

Source: BGR

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +293
    Hmmm....Well, I don't have many paid apps, so for a paid app that is really good and that I really want, I'm willing to pay more than $0.99 for it. Intuitively this makes sense - more apps on Android are free, so all else equal that leaves a bigger pot for the fewer apps people will pay for.

Also, this comparison might be deceptive. Some of the top apps for $0.99 on IOS might be free on Android, so it's a different pool. In particular, might be a higher % of games in Android's top 100 which typically cost more $$$. Actually, the survey did show there was little commonality between the top 100 apps, and when there was prices were very similar.

Very interesting study though.

3. SpeJ3435

SpeJ3435 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I agree with Kodiak799; more apps are free on Android, leaving a bigger gap for paid apps. Also, wouldn't this be a good thing that app developers can get more for their apps because they have created something worth paying for? That's almost like criticizing Apple for how much they charge for their tablets, yet their tablets still sell very well or the people who buy expensive cars when cheaper ones will do the job. If people see the need to have something, they will pay more for it if they really want it.

4. xeene

xeene Silver Member

Ratings:
    +416
    there are always alternate ways of getting apps for free. so on ios you'd still spend $147 on top apps, while on android it would cost $0.

5. smokiedabong

smokiedabong Member

Ratings:
    +14
  6. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +56
    :blink::blink:
    Heck yeah! DancingNexusDancingNexus

Them game loft games are spendy!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_ devil::icon_ lala::D

heh....im eating capt. crunch right now.

Most people will complain about supporting a dev and all that stuff.....most of the really useful stuff you arent able to pirate....so calm it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  7. Xtra Big Kahuna

Xtra Big Kahuna Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't agree with this study. Just because the top 100 apps on android are more expensive doesn't mean all apps on android are more expensive. Now if they were comparing the same apps and the were more expensive on android then I would be okay with it, but they aren't. This whole study just makes me think apple is finding studies and companies that will make it seem like they are superior. Its just like all the ad campaigns for trucks, if you pay attention they are comparing the towing of V6 trucks to their big bad a** diesel hauling machines and then saying they are far superior because they can tow more.

8. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Silver Member

Ratings:
    +85
    They did mention that a few of the same apps are more expensive on android, though basically some of Apple's apps are "subsidized" to keep them lower. Some of the prices are strange on the Market though, like TiBu for $6 something. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the pricing scheme on the Market.

9. metalspring

metalspring Silver Member

Ratings:
    +24
    yes...please, no one can stop you from pirating the apps but DO NOT discuss it here....:excl:

10. pyro6128

pyro6128 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +8
    In all fairness he could have been talking about promotions, or getting the free app a day from amazon. But then he platantly said he was pirating haha. Gotta keep that on the low

11. xeene

xeene Silver Member

Ratings:
    +416
    I got 100 top apps from market for $10. Beat that ios! And you are right about amazon app store and daily free apps. There are also other places that do same thing.

12. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    extremetech did a great break down and debunk of this study. To sum it up, there are alot of Office Productivity type suites in the Android Top 100 which any one who has bought these or looked in to them know they are usually expensive compared to your more common apps and games. For example Docs To Go is $15. It is apps like this that tilt the scale to make it seem Android apps are generally more expensive. Using the Top 100 apps vs Top 100 apps was a very way to judge the average cost of Android apps.