Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers.

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by Martin030908, Aug 1, 2010.

1. geetarspaz

geetarspaz New Member

i dont use any task-killing apps out there. my battery lasts about 1.5 days of heavy use. the phone manages memory and battery fine. with my first droid i owned, i used a task-killing app and my battery lifespan sucked and my phone always had issues going on. plus, over half the apps you just killed with be back on/open by android naturally.
  2. SGTiger

SGTiger New Member

Some task killers/managers have other legitimate uses unlike the useless/detrimental "automatic" task killing feature.
  3. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer Theme Developer

Great information here! I must admit I use an "auto-kill all" widget. I was told when I first got the phone (by another Droid user) that an app killer was an absolute necessity. So, I have become very OCD-like when it comes to tapping that widget.
    After reading this I am going to try and control my obsession and monitor my phones performance/battery life and see how it goes! This may be a tough detox, but I can do it - I know I can!!!:eek:hmy:
  4. chaosdax

chaosdax New Member

I had actually been told by the Verizon manager of the rep I bought the phone from that a task killer was a must have. After reading through this, I am also going to start scaling back on my obsessive app killing and deactivate the auto-kill -- A lot of what's being said makes sense.
  5. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

This is true.

The Auto-Kill is the true evil.... avoid it like the plague.

Obsessively 'killing' apps is second on the list :)

Continue to work on the addiction people... you'll overcome :)
  6. Dragon3463

Dragon3463 New Member

That doesn't make a bit of sense? So why does the apps keeping back on their own? have never gotten a satifactory answer on that question..
  7. M.Opaliski

M.Opaliski New Member

Look at what Apps appear in the list, the things that you use on a regular basis, as if they're waiting for you to use them. It's a smart phone.

The designers, they're not lying, really.

*Put down the Task Killer and back away ...
  8. harrellj

harrellj New Member

It is the way that the OS handles processes. Activity | Android Developers will probably give you the best amount of information on it. Application Fundamentals | Android Developers is more in-depth and FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android explains it in English rather than tech :p There's also http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html which is closer to tech than English, but still an interesting read.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  9. aminaked

aminaked New Member

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but the stock apps load into memory to give the user a faster user experience. For example, Maps loads into memory so that it is ready quickly when the user needs it. Please note that apps sitting idly in memory basically use no CPU/battery so don't worry about them. If android needs more memory, it will quickly clear itself some space.

That being said, when done with Maps return to your home screen so that the GPS shuts off. When done with Navigation, choose Exit from the menu so that GPS turns off. Some apps you install will keep running and use resources, but these are the 2 stock apps that seem to need special treatment.
  10. aldaudio

aldaudio New Member

i used to also kill apps, but not so much anymore. i can still only get about 10 hours battery life, tho im texting a lot and surfing the net.

when i go to see what drains my battery the most, its always the display with an over-whelming percentage, and thats with the brightness on 0.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. Dragon3463

Dragon3463 New Member

You can say what you want about it, but leaving a app running in the back is a very bad idea...But that's just my opinion and I won't respond to this again..
  12. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Uh, OK. You don't want to offer any proof of your claim? This is a DISCUSSION board, you know?

If you mean that you should use the Exit/Quit/Close button of an app then I agree with you. It is something you might want to do because it's probably there for a reason. This is especially true for the Navigation app as it can leave GPS going if you don't do menu > Exit.

But even if apps have an exit button, it normally isn't even needed to use it. The OS is smart enough to free up resources as needed. An app sitting idly in memory is using basically zero battery power. If the app is DOING SOMETHING, then it is using battery power. If the app is poorly designed it will use unneeded resources. Uninstall it!
  13. M.Opaliski

M.Opaliski New Member

If there's one complaint that I have about some of the Apps out there that I use, it's the lack of an Exit option. And even then, maybe I'm just complaining about nothing.
  14. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Well, yeah, especially coming from Windows where you have to close things when you're done. But Android really is different. If NO app had an exit button, Android can still handle it and free resources as needed. It gets you wondering why apps do have exit buttons since they're normally not really needed.
  15. Dragon3463

Dragon3463 New Member

If that be the case. Then why don't we just start designing pcs that way. They are supposedly way smarter then the android os.
    Its not that i don't understand the concept behind the thinking of the developers. I understand it very well. I do vb, c++, and few other programming languages. Have also played with android os as well. Just think its a bad idea.
    I'm not an expert on the subject but do know enough that using the system memory will slow it down.
    That is my last comment on this subject for sure but had to respond on it one last time.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  16. Martin030908

The design of Android is not meant to be a discussion.

It's been explained.

If you want to hold onto backwards thinking, go ahead.

Android opens apps because that's how it's supposed to run. It will reclaim memory when it needs it.

Open Google, do some searching, the proof will STARE YOU IN THE FACES :)
  17. Martin030908

If you're going to post, be productive.

Coming into this thread just to be a pain will get you no where, unless you're looking for a vacation :)
  18. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

i've never used auto killer apps before. if i've ever had a problem with an app messing with my phone i've gone one by one to figure out what's going on. HOWEVER, i have started using the autokiller app on the market that changes the os's memory management. my phone has NEVER run better. nothing drives me crazier than launcher re-draws. i have had ZERO redraws since i started using it. god himself can write a blog and tell me to stop using it and i'd refuse. doubled my satisfaction with my x.
  19. ffej89

ffej89 New Member

Im just curious how an app that is in the background pulling no cpu's is magically making your phone slower?
  20. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

i'm guessing when it runs out of memory it is closing the launcher. now with autokiller adjusting the memory settings i haven't had that problem to answer your condescending question.
Search tags for this page

best task killer for lg revolution

google task killer

googles answer to task killers

how to use task killer lg revolution
lg revolution app killer

lg revolution task killer

lg revolution task manager

native app killer android version 2
native task killers in android

task killer

task killer for lg revolution