Autokill App: not about task killers

dmo580

Reaction score
Ok before I start, this is NOT about a task killer. Yes the app itself has a task killer built in, but I'm not going to debate this. If you want to troll about task killers being useless, troll elsewhere.

What I noticed was interesting about this app is it has a memory management part where ROOT is required.

You can control the memory limits for a: hidden app, content provider, empty app, as well as the foreground app and visible app I believe. I know that even apps like LauncherPro try to manipulate or play with the memory limits of Android as there are strict limits for 1 app.

Has anyone played around with the memory limits presets for Autokill? Is there any benefit?

Note: I'm not talking about kill apps with a task killel.

OP
D

dmo580

Reaction score
I'd like to say that editing Minfree is pretty good. I setmine to 40/50/60, and my phone feels blazing fast now.

To say that Android's memory management is perfect is a lie. This is why I believe that task killers are useful. If you still want to use a task killer, you need to make sure you are only killing the relevant things, and not setting it on blind autokill.

In essence, using minfree, if you set aggressive memory settings, Android will try to free up memory to meet the #s you set. If you set it wrong, Android could be killing everything. If you set it very loose, Android will let memory fill up with junk.

But I found 40/50/60 to be a good setting. It kills most lame crap, although a few still lingers around. This is the same as using a task killer if you set it to automatically kill the truly junk apps and not just everything

However, I find that using Android's relatively good memory management techniques coupled with setting minfree to give your device a responsive feel is much better than a task killer. I'm not saying task killers are dumb, but they feel more manual. If set right, I'm sure you can obtain very similar results. Unfortunately, killing every few minutes will eat your battery up more than it will do your battery good.

Having 60mb+ free makes any Android phone fly. You guys should try this!