1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Swype = Sorcery

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by proof, May 1, 2010.

1. proof

proof New Member

After using the Swype keyboard application I have to declare there has to be some sort of sorcery going on with this thing, because it is surely magical.

If the developers of this application were alive in 1692 they would have been drowned as witches.

Amazing!!
  2. blackjoker4215

blackjoker4215 New Member

I have never tried Swype and probably never will, although I have heard wonderful things. You made me laugh so hard. Kudos!
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

That would be the opinion of the vast majority of people who have tried it. I can't get it to work for the life of me. I just use the regular virtual keyboard.
  4. dmacleo

dmacleo Moderator/RS Premium Member

I have shaky fingers (neuro issues) so its not something I can use (I use big buttons kb or mostly physical kb) but I am amazed at the concept and wish I could use it.
  5. rbrown1

rbrown1 New Member

How can I get it?

I have signed up for the now closed beta. Is there any other way to get SWYPE?

6. BostonDan

BostonDan Member

I heard the next Beta release will turn lead into gold, so you're not too far off!

Cheers,
    B.D.
  7. verian

verian Guest

Yea its insane I don't personally like to use it but had to see what it was about. Even when I thought I was missing keys and dragging my finger all over it some how new what I was thinking. Truly brilliant software.
  8. claustin

claustin New Member

I love it. I can't stand not having it now. Works great on my Incredible!
  9. gatecitycanes

gatecitycanes New Member

It wasn't quite the panacea I thought it would be but it's still pretty cool and I use it from time to time.
  10. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

lol

Yea its a beautiful thing. I thought it was some sort of gimmick, but it makes typing waaay faster. And even if you are not too accurate, more than 90-95% of the time it picks the right word for u to choose from. Whats funny is my GF cant get the hang of it, and she's a heavy texter.
  11. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I lived by swype, it was a god for me and it still is for one hand typing... but for two hand action the HTC_ime is awesome.

Actually I get faster, better results with the two handedness lol, and its predictive is a bit smarter.

I say run both for different situations.

But either way, yes.... sorcery :p
  12. claustin

claustin New Member

I've gotta agree with that. Swype is magic for one handed use. For landscape use it still works for tapping things out. I still prefer it over the stock Android keyboard, but not the HTC keyboard in landscape. I rarely use landscape though. Still, it would be awesome if you could set it to use different keyboards according to screen orientation.
  13. authority11

authority11 New Member

Yea this is the one thing holding me back from using swype. I love it for one handed use, but I use the landscape keyboard a lot and it is pretty terrible for landscape. So I just use the HTC keyboard. I'd kill for a way to get keyboard to change depending on what orientation you use!
  14. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

landscape is fixed with this new one i think
  15. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Totally agree man... Personally i SUCK at using touch-screen keyboards, which is why I have the Moto Droid and I can type like a madman on the qwerty... However I must say that Swype has been a lifesaver for me when I just want to make a quick text or search something fast.

To people who think its hard, just try it for a week. I sucked at first, and now I can fly on Swype. If you never tried it, I think it's A LOT easier than you think...
  16. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

i otally agree it may be weird at first but once your brtain learns where all the keys are and when you have to type out a word and then hit the word it saves that word for the next time. your user dictionary gets bigger and bigger everyday and it is really sweet once you have it going for about a week or so!!!
  17. Dan.Droid

Dan.Droid New Member

Be sure to go into your settings after you install it to tell the phone that you want Swype to be your default screen keyboard. You might also have to reboot the phone.
  18. mju1030

mju1030 New Member

Swype trouble fix

Sometimes, it helps to go to Settings > Language & Keyboard then select Android Keyboard (and deselecting Swype Keyboard) -- then back out and return and deselect Android Keyboard and select Swype Keyboard. That usually fixes the problem for me without rebooting.

BTW-- Swype is the single addition to my Moto Droid that I use and enjoy the most. In addition, when I show it to ppl who have other phones, both i and others, they FREAK.:rofl3:
  19. dolfanpete

dolfanpete New Member

ok, i got it to work. but i hate to sound like a debbie downer. I dont see all the fuss. what am i missing?
  20. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

are you sliding your fingers to type or are you hitting each key