1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Swype for Android is time limited

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by zerodamage, Jan 4, 2010.

1. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

I emailed the Swype developers asking whether or not they will be making it available on the Android Market. I know that I would pay for it and many others would as well. I love how it works compared to the standard software keyboard. I do not do pirated or unauthorized software and after learning that this is the case, I removed the app from my Droid. But I reinstalled after I got this response:

"Go ahead and use the leaked version. It is time limited, so enjoy it while you can!"

I did not get the answer to my real question: whether or not the application will become available on the Market Place. That is the question I want answered! I will add their response to that question if they ever answer.

Exit Question: If the leaked version is time limited, did Swype Inc. intentionally release this development build?
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. Mojo

Mojo New Member

It would not surprise me if Swype leaked it themselves
  3. JhankG

JhankG New Member

If that turns out to be the case, and they try to take it away without giving us the option to buy it on the market, I am betting someone will find a way to release swype without a time limit and for free.
  4. black04redline

black04redline New Member

I've searched for Swype and can not find it in the Market. Can anyone help me with a more specific name for the app? Thanks guys.
  5. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

6. MdicnMan

MdicnMan New Member

Google search is your friend... drink the cool-ade! :)

search for: "Swype-trial-release"
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  7. ntrddragn

ntrddragn New Member

They probably leaked it themselves. They want us to be the beta tester without actually saying it. And now they have a good response from the community. Im pretty sure they will change their tune. They should offer it both as OEM and on the market. Im pretty damn sure I will not be buying a new phone just because it has swype preload.
  8. frankieg22x

frankieg22x New Member

and now they can get $5-10 for a download instead of $2 since they know everyone loves it and is not willing to let it go.
  9. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Jack***es

Well that's just great... When the time trial is over do NOT expect an official release any time soon... They have been RIDICULOUSLY SLOW in their development. It debuted at a trade show in the last half of '08 and was fairly well 'developed.' and it has taken well over a year for them to get it to only 1 device so far...

And before any of you other developers chime in about how much time it takes (blah blah blah), I am a developer (Windows, Linux and WM) so I understand that end of it. But still... a year to go from a working (or so they 'showed' it as) trade show version to 1 device... that's ridiculous. Looks like they're following the M$ business model.
  10. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator Theme Developer

I'd pay ten dollars!
  11. brochaos

brochaos New Member

wonder how hard it is to remove a time check from software...
  12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Idiots...

WOW... just read the actual article... what MORONS.... in the current market trend (i.e. micro-transactions) wtf would such a company ONLY limit themselves to the OEM market... wow.. no wonder it's taken them so long to make so little progress, what idiots... they really are following the M$ business model (lets do thing the way we've always done them, not in a way that will make us profitable and successful)...
  13. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

the good praise swype has gotten out in the wild would make a nice bargaining chip if they are trying to push swype OEM
  14. brochaos

brochaos New Member

well i just read their site, the guy that invented this was the co-inventor of T9. and his partner is the co-inventor or the MS on screen keyboard. seeing as T9 is basically on every phone these days, i can't see why they would be limiting themself to just 1 phone. i see this taking off like crazy soon and hopefully it will be a non-issue.
  15. CDB

CDB New Member

If Swype didn't make it to the market place and no one came up with a fix for the limited-time trial, there is always:

ShapeWriter Keyboard
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

So is noone else worried that Swype can collect all information you type on the screen?

-Mike
  17. Dan.Droid

Dan.Droid New Member

^^^ Really? I shouldn't be surprised, but some how I am...
  18. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

Someone needs to get working on a time extension. I am starting to love this method of input. I am more than willing to pay for it, but I don't want to get really use to it, only to have it taken away with no options to purchase.
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

Right after the install completed, I got a pop-up telling me as much. I uninstalled it.

-Mike
  20. Dan.Droid

Dan.Droid New Member

Damn. I didn't take it because I don't like using pirated software. I would rather support programmers that make stuff I like to encourage them to make more. As much as people were raving about this, I was starting to look forward to an officially released version.
Search tags for this page

are there swype apps that don't log keystrokes

does swype for android record keystrokes

record keystrokes on razr hd

what kind of data does swype collect?