Swype for Android is time limited

OP
Z

zerodamage

Reaction score
This is exactly what I wanna have an answer to. I don't see how it is. I never said it was.... I'm on the side that it isn't, unless proof can be given.

The Developer emailed me stating as much. Please read the OP

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
WOW... just read the actual article... what MORONS.... in the current market trend (i.e. micro-transactions) wtf would such a company ONLY limit themselves to the OEM market... wow.. no wonder it's taken them so long to make so little progress, what idiots... they really are following the M$ business model (lets do thing the way we've always done them, not in a way that will make us profitable and successful)...

Absolutely correct. And that's why Microsoft has been so spectacularly unsuccessful at making money.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
I think that Swype is a great product, but it is not fair to allow everybody to download and test it, and then pull the rug from under them, not even permitting a charge for downloads. It is unreasonable to have to go out and buy a new phone just to get a licensed Swype, thus their customer policy is consumer unfriendly. They will deservedly create a large, frustrated and angry group of beta downloaders. Meanwhile, why isn't Verizon or Motorola helping to facilitate a download agreement?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think that Swype is a great product, but it is not fair to allow everybody to download and test it, and then pull the rug from under them, not even permitting a charge for downloads. It is unreasonable to have to go out and buy a new phone just to get a licensed Swype, thus their customer policy is consumer unfriendly. They will deservedly create a large, frustrated and angry group of beta downloaders. Meanwhile, why isn't Verizon or Motorola helping to facilitate a download agreement?

It's not up to them. Swype, at this time at least, is only interested in OEM. They have no desire, at least for now to offer the product to the end user. And I don't see many companies willingly paying for the use of such an unproven product (particularly with touch-screen phones making up so little of the market at this point). But hats off to Samsung for taking the plunge. I could see HTC making the jump seeing they are one of the leaders in the WM market (and they have a HUGE market share overseas).

mjs31

Reaction score

I dont think they ever stated they were the ones that allowed us all to download it. Actually, they are saying it is a leaked beta that was not supposed to go public.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Swype has really stirred up these forums eh? Both good and bad :)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont think they ever stated they were the ones that allowed us all to download it. Actually, they are saying it is a leaked beta that was not supposed to go public.

Someone hinted at it earlier but you're right, they haven't 'admitted' to it. But you do have to wonder with them keeping things under such tight wraps how anyone would have gotten the package. Especially one coded for Android. I've been following Swype for a year+ and this and the Samsung phone are the first things to leave their tight labs. So... but on their site they did say they have released it 'to a few select OEMs' so maybe one of those was an Android partner and someone inside leaked it. It's happened before (lol, was SOP in the WM community).

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Swype, touch screen rapid input made by the creator of T9, gets $5.6 million from Nokia and Samsung

Yeah. I would definitely focus on OEM too if I owned the company. But I am sure once its released, it would get ripped and be available to download just like Windows Mobile versions.

You brought up a great point, Chefs are much more likely to hack and cook something like that when their users don't have the option of correctly supporting it. Selling to the end user would likely cut that down greatly. How many iPhone, Droid and WM users are there? Swypes main competitor (Shapewriter) supports those (plus Windows, i.e. tablets) and they charge a modest fee (think $10 may be more). So I'm willing to bet they have a LOT more than $5.6 M in capital. But as stated, they are different business models for different thinkers. We'll see in the next year or so which one was right.

Gunghoray

Reaction score
Just joining the discussion here. I'm an immigrant from the "other" Swype" thread.

I teach my students to "follow the money" when analyzing a business case. Of course, there are MANY factors, ethics being one of them, that must be considered. But the MONEY is a big deal for investors and companies.

SWYPE has adopted a proven business model (ie. T9) that has worked in the past. Of course, that was a different platform (keypad) in a different technology season, but it was still a REVOLUTIONARY, not an EVolutionary product. Same thing here.

This is not a fly-by-night developer with hours on his or her laptop writing code to place a beta in the Marketplace. These guys have poured major bucks into the development (read news releases on their website) and have courted some major players in the market.

I believe ten million potential users is a tiny slice of the market in touch screens over the next five years. They've got potential to develop and sell another blockbuster like T9. And imagine the tech support investment they'd have to make if they were distributing on the Marketplace to individual users.

Supply and Demand will prevail here as well. There will be knockoffs and alternatives within a year. We "early adopters" will just naturally be frustrated because we have to wait for the latest and greatest.

Food for thought.

Prof Ray
Recovering Storm Abuser

Twoo

Reaction score
I downloaded it last night and I absolutely LOVE it. Definitely take the tutorial before using it- I would never have figured out how to do double letters without it =p

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I teach my students to "follow the money" when analyzing a business case. Of course, there are MANY factors, ethics being one of them, that must be considered. But the MONEY is a big deal for investors and companies.
[]
Food for thought.

Prof Ray
Recovering Storm Abuser

Prof Ray, sorry for the edit, just trying to shorten the post a bit. Just more 'food for thought'
Apple's App Store tops 3 billion downloads | Apple - CNET News

"The success of the App Store has forced other mobile companies to try to mimic its success. LG, Research In Motion, Nokia, Google, Palm and Microsoft all have their own stores or plan to open one."

Gunghoray

Reaction score
KZI. No problem editing my responses. I'm a wordy guy to begin with. The 3 billionth app from the Apple store is an impressive milestone. Some of the comments on the site of the article at CNET question the paid vs. free ratio, but even if only 10% are paid at a buck each, it's still 300 million.

SWYPE, though, doesn't have the depth to open their own app store. In this case, they'd be one app among tens of thousands. I wonder what the highest revenue grossing app is on the Apple store? I'd guess it's in the small millions at most.

Still not chump change, but I'd back the OEM strategy until it is a done deal and work in a "public option" with the OEM agreement.

Food for more thought.

Prof Ray
Recovering Storm Abuser

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Prof Ray, Glad to see you migrated to this thread. I mentioned you back in post #35 as a voice of reasoning for the business model of Swype. Soooo glad you came by and reiterated it! (Hope you don't mind)