swap networks on phones? Can this be done?

seneye

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a way to connect a Verizon phone to At&t or cricket or any other network? Or an At&t iphone with another network? I have a friend that just came back from africa and is going back again and he knew a couple people that wanted the iphone but use it on one of their networks over there? He was saying something like that if you have the unlock codes you could change networks even if it was a Verizon/At&t? I looked around a little bit and think these codes are called sublock codes? im not sure though. But which got me thinking, if you can root the phone or jailbreak whatever, is there a way to install the software to match that of At&t or another network? I have no idea, im just asking?

droidxd00d

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a way to connect a Verizon phone to At&t or cricket or any other network? Or an At&t iphone with another network? I have a friend that just came back from africa and is going back again and he knew a couple people that wanted the iphone but use it on one of their networks over there? He was saying something like that if you have the unlock codes you could change networks even if it was a Verizon/At&t? I looked around a little bit and think these codes are called sublock codes? im not sure though. But which got me thinking, if you can root the phone or jailbreak whatever, is there a way to install the software to match that of At&t or another network? I have no idea, im just asking?

You would have to find out what radios they use over there. Verizon Is mainly a cmda based network while others are GSM based. You would probably have better luck with an at and t or sprint model iPhone but I'm not entirely sure. But I know you cannot unlock Verizon's phones for another network

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
You can put a Verizon phone on another CDMA network. Excluding Sprint, cause they're pissy about non Sprint phone.

As for putting a Verizon phone on AT&T or vice versa. No dice. Unless the phone has the GSM bands (like the Pro/D2), and you unlock them. Beyond that a regular verizon phone cannot work on AT&T. They are two different network techs.

OP
S

seneye

Reaction score
Say in Africa they have either CDMA or GSM networks how would I go about unlocking the phone? and how would I get it to recognize the new network?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Say in Africa they have either CDMA or GSM networks how would I go about unlocking the phone? and how would I get it to recognize the new network?

You'll most likely have a much easier time if the phone is GSM. As long as the bands in the phone will support T-Mobiles/AT&Ts bands then the phone just has to have the sim card slot unlocked. Then you just pop in a SIM and you should be good to go. Though, it's possible the phone will only get EDGE speeds.

OP
S

seneye

Reaction score
well how would you unlock the sim card? and couldn't you do the same with a verizon phone...but why would GSM be easier than CDMA?

I just looked up how to unlock the iphone but, i don't understand because it doesn't have a simcard? how will it recognize the new network?

Last edited: