Simultaneous Voice/Data Argument

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL thats funny.. all this talk of 4g this and 4g that.. it doesnt even apply to us!!! LOL LOL
Easy there Ark......once 4G is implemented in the next year or so, we're just saying it will be possible. GSM allows simultaneous voice/web browsing, CDMA doesn't. We've established that already. If you've ever used GSM, you'll know that it stinks big time. If you did have GSM, how often did you feel the need to be on the phone talking to someone and simultaneously surfing the web? Nada, or almost nada is more than likely the answer, unless you knew someone using a phone a friend on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire....remember the answer is Lima, Peru.:)

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
LOL thats funny.. all this talk of 4g this and 4g that.. it doesnt even apply to us!!! LOL LOL
Easy there Ark......once 4G is implemented in the next year or so, we're just saying it will be possible. GSM allows simultaneous voice/web browsing, CDMA doesn't. We've established that already. If you've ever used GSM, you'll know that it stinks big time. If you did have GSM, how often did you feel the need to be on the phone talking to someone and simultaneously surfing the web? Nada, or almost nada is more than likely the answer, unless you knew someone using a phone a friend on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire....remember the answer is Lima, Peru.:)

My bad! lol i just got a cubby over the 4g thing, thinking Man i cant wait!.. from what im hearing i wont see any difference ? but to be honest. my 3G in pittsburgh kicks butt! Im not UNhappy with my coverage at all..

Jeremy556

Reaction score
If you did have GSM, how often did you feel the need to be on the phone talking to someone and simultaneously surfing the web? Nada, or almost nada is more than likely the answer, unless you knew someone using a phone a friend on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire....remember the answer is Lima, Peru.:)
Stuck on a conference call would be my primary reason. It has never really come up though, because when stuck on a call, I'm either somewhere with wifi, or in the car and wouldn't be using needing data anyway.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

My bad! lol i just got a cubby over the 4g thing, thinking Man i cant wait!.. from what im hearing i wont see any difference ? but to be honest. my 3G in pittsburgh kicks butt! Im not UNhappy with my coverage at all..
Not sure where in da burgh you're at, but until we moved from Cranberry Twp. to near Philly in June, I was in a spot right at the Beaver Co. and Butler Co. line (Rochester Rd) where inside my house was a little rough going so I used the network extender. Outside of that area, I had fantastic VZW 3G and signal anywhere I went. Some areas between say Butler and I-80 were spotty, but there's no population there.:)

Slothead

Reaction score
As noted elsewhere on this forum (Search is a useful feature), the limitation on the Droid is the result of the CDMA (rather than the GSM) network used by VZW. The former streams data while the latter sends data in discrete packets. Thus, there is no way to interrupt the voice (or data) stream in CDMA. On GSM, used by AT&T, the two data streams (voice and data) can be pushed down the pipe simultaneously.

One of the reasons that I got an One of the reasons that I got an iPhone years ago is because I could use it in Europe. I was told that CDMA wouldn't work there. But since that time, Verizon offered a internationally-capable Blackberry (that I never bought into), so does Verizon also have GSM, or was there some other workaround for that international Blackberry? And of course if Verizon does have GSM, why wouldn't it work with 4G if that was the obstacle?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Should also be noted that your friend can only use data and voice simultaneously while on 3G and that is only in <10% of their coverage area. Considering that the whole argument about simultaneous use is moot.

Also you can give him an ego check by pointing out that in AT&Ts commercial it's a BlackBerry being used and not his precious iPhone. It also appears the guy is at home so wireless would be faster anyway.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
As noted elsewhere on this forum (Search is a useful feature), the limitation on the Droid is the result of the CDMA (rather than the GSM) network used by VZW. The former streams data while the latter sends data in discrete packets. Thus, there is no way to interrupt the voice (or data) stream in CDMA. On GSM, used by AT&T, the two data streams (voice and data) can be pushed down the pipe simultaneously.

One of the reasons that I got an One of the reasons that I got an iPhone years ago is because I could use it in Europe. I was told that CDMA wouldn't work there. But since that time, Verizon offered a internationally-capable Blackberry (that I never bought into), so does Verizon also have GSM, or was there some other workaround for that international Blackberry? And of course if Verizon does have GSM, why wouldn't it work with 4G if that was the obstacle?

The BB's that can be used overseas are dual band....CDMA and GSM. When I used my Storm overseas I called VZW had them unlock the phone and I was able to place a sim card in it to use GSM....

LrdElderon

Reaction score

Actually as long as coverage rolls out about the same as 3g is currently for the vz network you should notice a HUGE improvement in speed (when you get a supported updated droid phone =) ). currently i get about 2mb/s down an 1mb/s up on 3g. 4g I've read will be about 12mb/s for users with capabilities of 100mb+/s though individual users will never get that full speed. Basically it's faster than probably most peoples home internet service and it should start rolling out some time this year I've heard, but it will be a while before everyone gets it I'm sure.

OP
Mars

Mars

Reaction score
... video/voice chat for the next Iphone blah blah blah...then he goes on the mention again that the Verizon would never be able to have that feature!...
If you are going to have a video conference with voice and video, you would have to do both over data to keep them in sync anyway, so it would work on either network as it wouldn't be using the "voice" part at all.

Well the feature he is talking about allows the you to be able to transmit to another user (while on a voice call) a video of where you are, at so the other user can view your location from your video camera or something to that degree..

My friend is a good friend of mine since grade school..but when these discussions pop up I swear I want to just punch him in the mouth! It doesn't help that he is a rep for ATT as well and all his ATT buddies who hang out there all work to gang up on me its freakin annoying!

My question that I want answered is: Will Verizon ever be able to implement voice/data simultaneously with the 4G LTE network?

I know for a fact that the Android platform is here to stay. If Moto Droid's numbers stay at a high point, then we can be sure that the brand will stay alive with new devices that will definitely support 4G LTE. If that happens I know for sure I will stay with Verizon and the Droid brand.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
Seems verizon changed the page a little and is now requiring registration as a developer to see the new updated specs, but last week I was reading a spec page on verizons own site and I'm pretty sure it said that voice and data would be available at the same time with the new network. I'll guess we'll find out more on the 20th when they do their conference on the updated 4g lte spec.

OP
Mars

Mars

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure announcements will be made pretty soon..im getting excited as to what they have in store.. VOIP features maybe? who knows

StupidGenius

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken a standard for voice over LTE hasn't been set as yet. There's a group of manufacturers and telcos (Verizon and AT&T among them) that have put their support behind one standard (name escapes me) and will likely be chosen as the international standard.

There actually is a CDMA standard that allows voice and data at the same time. It was announced last August and it's called CDMA2000 1x Advanced (a.k.a. SVDO) but I believe it requires hardware upgrades on both the tower and handset. So I don't really see this coming, since it would require a major infrastructure investment.

CDMA Development Group Announces Improvements with SVDO - SlashGear

LrdElderon

Reaction score
Is it even worth it to just get a new phone for 4G is my question

honestly by the time this new spec comes out and offers enough coverage to make it feasible to switch you'll probably be wanting to update to a new phone anyways. I mean they say they'll start rollouts sometime this year, but it'll prob be 3-4+ year process anyways.