Simultaneous Voice/Data Argument

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon's LTE network will have simultaneous voice and data. It's ridiculous (and ignorant) for anyone to state that SVD will never be available on Verizon.

If you've ever used GSM, you'll know that it stinks big time.
Depends on the design of the network and coverage, really. Blanket statements like that are pointless fanboy rants. I've had excellent experiences with GSM in parts of the US and certainly in many parts of Europe.

Tell him when 4g comes out that argument will be mute
Well, moot, actually. "Mute" arguments involve a lot of sign language. :D

Guurzak

Reaction score
If you're using WiFi for data, you can talk and surf simultaneously on either AT&T or Verizon. And if you're using 3G for data... well, if you're on AT&T you have to find a 3G tower before it makes any difference, and then listen as your voice call drops 6 times anyway. ;)

Since both AT&T and Verizon have the same LTE technology on their roadmaps, this will cease to be a competitive differentiator. AT&T is just grasping for any straws they can find because they know as soon as their iPhone exclusivity expires people are going to flee their network like rats off a sinking ship.

flavious27

Reaction score
So I was at my buddy's house tonight and he has At&t, and he was talking about how they are unveiling some new feature for video/voice chat for the next Iphone blah blah blah...then he goes on the mention again that the Verizon would never be able to have that feature! Its always a never-ending debate between me and him and which network or phone is better its gets redundant. Now I understand of course that Verizon's Network is not capable of voice/data unless youre on Wifi.

Will the technology ever develop to where we will be able to do this?? I love the Droid and Verizons network but its gets tiring when these Apple fanboys constantly bring up this argument every damn time! And there isnt really much to say about that, simply because its based on FACT.

What are your thoughts??

Tell them that is a good thing they don't have to use VOIP with at&t's network to talk and surf at the same time, imagine the amount of drops calls those iphone would be having then.

TBV

Reaction score
Just for the sake of argument, in my 1.5 years working in VZW retail locations and having spoken to thousands of customers over that time, I truly cannot recall a customer telling me one of the things their smartphone or advanced multi-media device must do is be able to browse the internet while they are on a call.

It's nice to have as an available option of course, but from my experience as a rep and a consumer, it is generally not a major buying motive of the average wireless customer. (shrugs shoulders)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
As noted elsewhere on this forum (Search is a useful feature), the limitation on the Droid is the result of the CDMA (rather than the GSM) network used by VZW. The former streams data while the latter sends data in discrete packets. Thus, there is no way to interrupt the voice (or data) stream in CDMA. On GSM, used by AT&T, the two data streams (voice and data) can be pushed down the pipe simultaneously.

One of the reasons that I got an One of the reasons that I got an iPhone years ago is because I could use it in Europe. I was told that CDMA wouldn't work there. But since that time, Verizon offered a internationally-capable Blackberry (that I never bought into), so does Verizon also have GSM, or was there some other workaround for that international Blackberry? And of course if Verizon does have GSM, why wouldn't it work with 4G if that was the obstacle?

The capability to use GSM by some phones sold by Verizon is not the result of Verizon having a GSM network. It's the result of the phone having a second radio (the so-called SIM chip) that can connect to a GSM network in Europe. VZW has a cooperative agreement with such networks to allow its phones to use those networks. Though they don't say so, those phones could also be used on the US AT&T network if there were such an agreement between VZW and AT&T. (That's as unlikely as Sarah Palin being the next president.)

aristo1963

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong,but wasnt it GSM that just got hacked and not CDMA?Also didnt the guy or group that did it post instructions on how to do it on the internet?:icon_eek:

Hmmmmmm....no thanks I will just stick with my CDMA phone.:icon_ devil: