Sudden Change in Battery Life (major decrease)

gymangel812

Reaction score
Over the past several days, I have been getting much worse battery life on my TB. yesterday, for example, i charged the phone completely before heading to a movie and lunch. I used the phone for less than 10 mins to surf the net and went into the movie. i came out of the movie and was on the yellow battery bar (15% or 20%, can't remember what it is). I check the battery life stats and it had been 3 hr 34 min since it was fully charged. Similar thing happened today, barely used the phone and it was completely dead by dinner time. usually the battery is about 50% by the end of the day when the battery was working correctly. any ideas as to what could cause this? i didn't install any new apps/programs recently. i have been having a few random reboots, which i'm reading is a known problem. do i just need to take it to verizon? i bought it at best buy, do i need to do there or can i just take it to verizon?

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Something is probably running in the background

ridin the lightning

daggy1985

Reaction score
Yeah I started having the same issue these past couple of days. The phone just started getting really hot and the battery drained completely dead within a couple of hours. I turned of my phone earlier today when it started getting hot and draining the battery and pulled the battery out for about a minute and putit back in and it seems to be better now. But ill find out for sure if it is better after a couple days of testing. Its weird cause just before this happened I was getting over 24 hours of use out of the battery.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using DroidForums

ggpike

Reaction score
Same thing has been happening to me the last few days. I was getting anywhere from 16 hours with about 40-30% left to almost 24 hours, depending on use. Now it might last a 4 to 5 hours minimal use and it's down to 40%. This is the first time I've ever had any issues with the phone.

Acct4me

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue. Thought my battery was just shot after a year and a half, so I bought a new one. Put a full charge on the new battery, only to have it go dead in 7 hours with less than 10 minutes talk time and virtually no surfing. Up until 2 days ago, I was getting up to a day and a half of battery life.

I first noticed this issue after the last google maps update installed, but that's the only change I've made. Subscribing to thread, as I think something is up and hoping one of us can enlighten the rest when the discovery is made.

daggy1985

Reaction score
Just a thought...I recall messing with my power settings earlier this week before this all started and I had turned on the fast boot...I disabled it earlier today after pulling the battery and recharging it. My battey is back to normal today. I wonder if fast boot is causing something to not load properly or function properly? Of course I also updated blockbuster and disabled the background updates for it...but i thought i had already done that last week...after i did a factory reset, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

scaner

Reaction score
Same here before i update i can get 12 hours...now i can have a 4-6 hours or less...,,,so im ordered a extended one,,it will come tomorow....yeeee.......:greendroid::greendroid:

revelated

Reaction score
Same here before i update i can get 12 hours...now i can have a 4-6 hours or less...,,,so im ordered a extended one,,it will come tomorow....yeeee.......:greendroid::greendroid:

I notice that there is a software update available. I wonder if the phone was trying to get the software or something. I noticed this behavior while at work - I was able to go 10 hours before needing a charge - on an EXTENDED battery. And it was warm to the touch. SO I knew something was wrong. Tried a power cycle, no good. At 20% I did a battery pull to try and clean it out, when it came back up it said 6%!

I'm rooted so I don't really want any updates applying themselves to my phone and screwing that up - the Thunderbolt was a PAIN to root.

EDIT: I see this particular update has been available for weeks. Is it possible Verizon is trying to force the phone to update itself?

flipteg

Reaction score
i think there is definitely something going on with this version of Android with Sense. i typically get good battery life. with my normal 2 hours screen usage, the phone will typically last for 18 hours. but from time to time, without changing my use at all and without installing new apps, the phone will all of a sudden start draining the battery even when the screen is off. when i'm on my desk, this is typically easy to catch because when the phone is on the desk and i pick it up, it will be cool to the touch at room temperature. when it is at its battery draining quirk, the phone will be warm even after a couple of minutes on the desk without usage. if i catch it in time, a restart fixes it.

there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. this happens regardless if the app i just recently used has been problem free for months. i used my Nexus One for a year and i never had this happen even once. and i'm using pretty much the same set of apps that i do now with the Thunderbolt.

i downloaded a program called Watchdog (not 3G Watchdog) and it's supposed to show the processor percentage use of every app. when this battery drain happens, Watchdog is does not show any programs to be using the processor. i.e. all the programs are at 0% or at less than 0.9%

leo67

Reaction score
so did anyone update? I read here that peeps that did the update started having issues with batt life
is all this happening in 4G,,mine does exactly the same thing, mine is stock, with maybe a couple of apps that i loaded and the lookout anti virus thing
but while in 3G the phone acts normal batt life up to almost 2 days (basically idle,, handful of txt, phone calls, and web)
man if I knew this, I would of just stuck with a 3G phone

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
so did anyone update? I read here that peeps that did the update started having issues with batt life
is all this happening in 4G,,mine does exactly the same thing, mine is stock, with maybe a couple of apps that i loaded and the lookout anti virus thing
but while in 3G the phone acts normal batt life up to almost 2 days (basically idle,, handful of txt, phone calls, and web)
man if I knew this, I would of just stuck with a 3G phone

"man if I knew this, I would of just stuck with a 3G phone" Ditto. :) I use WiFi 99% of the time anyway. I think that's why a lot of the phones still coming out are 3G. 4G just isn't there yet imo.

billge

Reaction score
Well I'm told that is why are at least 1 of the reasons that apple has not put up a 4 g phone yet. 4 g chips seem to soak up an awful lot of power to keep up with the band width diamonds.

the verizon android upgrade seems to have caused the DROIDX to use more power as well but then again I have spent a lot of time setting options, as you do with any new ROM.

Look for a larger battery out soon.

Sent from my DROIDX