1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Sudden Change in Battery Life (major decrease)

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt Battery Discussions' started by gymangel812, May 21, 2011.

1. gymangel812

gymangel812 New Member

Over the past several days, I have been getting much worse battery life on my TB. yesterday, for example, i charged the phone completely before heading to a movie and lunch. I used the phone for less than 10 mins to surf the net and went into the movie. i came out of the movie and was on the yellow battery bar (15% or 20%, can't remember what it is). I check the battery life stats and it had been 3 hr 34 min since it was fully charged. Similar thing happened today, barely used the phone and it was completely dead by dinner time. usually the battery is about 50% by the end of the day when the battery was working correctly. any ideas as to what could cause this? i didn't install any new apps/programs recently. i have been having a few random reboots, which i'm reading is a known problem. do i just need to take it to verizon? i bought it at best buy, do i need to do there or can i just take it to verizon?
  2. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Something is probably running in the background

ridin the lightning
  3. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie New Member

Have you tried a system reset? Sometimes going back to square one helps some issues. be worth a shot before going back to BB.
  4. gymangel812

gymangel812 New Member

how do i check this?

how would i do this? would i lose all my info like texts, pics, etc?
  5. daggy1985

daggy1985 New Member

Yeah I started having the same issue these past couple of days. The phone just started getting really hot and the battery drained completely dead within a couple of hours. I turned of my phone earlier today when it started getting hot and draining the battery and pulled the battery out for about a minute and putit back in and it seems to be better now. But ill find out for sure if it is better after a couple days of testing. Its weird cause just before this happened I was getting over 24 hours of use out of the battery.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using DroidForums
  6. ggpike

ggpike New Member

Same thing has been happening to me the last few days. I was getting anywhere from 16 hours with about 40-30% left to almost 24 hours, depending on use. Now it might last a 4 to 5 hours minimal use and it's down to 40%. This is the first time I've ever had any issues with the phone.
  7. Acct4me

Acct4me New Member

I'm having the exact same issue. Thought my battery was just shot after a year and a half, so I bought a new one. Put a full charge on the new battery, only to have it go dead in 7 hours with less than 10 minutes talk time and virtually no surfing. Up until 2 days ago, I was getting up to a day and a half of battery life.

I first noticed this issue after the last google maps update installed, but that's the only change I've made. Subscribing to thread, as I think something is up and hoping one of us can enlighten the rest when the discovery is made.
  8. daggy1985

daggy1985 New Member

Just a thought...I recall messing with my power settings earlier this week before this all started and I had turned on the fast boot...I disabled it earlier today after pulling the battery and recharging it. My battey is back to normal today. I wonder if fast boot is causing something to not load properly or function properly? Of course I also updated blockbuster and disabled the background updates for it...but i thought i had already done that last week...after i did a factory reset, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  9. Googleaddict

Googleaddict New Member

Yep same issue here. I used to get 16 hours of use and now its much worse :/

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  10. scaner

scaner New Member

Same here before i update i can get 12 hours...now i can have a 4-6 hours or less...,,,so im ordered a extended one,,it will come tomorow....yeeee.......:greendroid::greendroid:
  11. revelated

revelated New Member

I notice that there is a software update available. I wonder if the phone was trying to get the software or something. I noticed this behavior while at work - I was able to go 10 hours before needing a charge - on an EXTENDED battery. And it was warm to the touch. SO I knew something was wrong. Tried a power cycle, no good. At 20% I did a battery pull to try and clean it out, when it came back up it said 6%!

I'm rooted so I don't really want any updates applying themselves to my phone and screwing that up - the Thunderbolt was a PAIN to root.

EDIT: I see this particular update has been available for weeks. Is it possible Verizon is trying to force the phone to update itself?
  12. flipteg

flipteg New Member

i think there is definitely something going on with this version of Android with Sense. i typically get good battery life. with my normal 2 hours screen usage, the phone will typically last for 18 hours. but from time to time, without changing my use at all and without installing new apps, the phone will all of a sudden start draining the battery even when the screen is off. when i'm on my desk, this is typically easy to catch because when the phone is on the desk and i pick it up, it will be cool to the touch at room temperature. when it is at its battery draining quirk, the phone will be warm even after a couple of minutes on the desk without usage. if i catch it in time, a restart fixes it.

there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. this happens regardless if the app i just recently used has been problem free for months. i used my Nexus One for a year and i never had this happen even once. and i'm using pretty much the same set of apps that i do now with the Thunderbolt.

i downloaded a program called Watchdog (not 3G Watchdog) and it's supposed to show the processor percentage use of every app. when this battery drain happens, Watchdog is does not show any programs to be using the processor. i.e. all the programs are at 0% or at less than 0.9%
  13. leo67

leo67 New Member

so did anyone update? I read here that peeps that did the update started having issues with batt life
    is all this happening in 4G,,mine does exactly the same thing, mine is stock, with maybe a couple of apps that i loaded and the lookout anti virus thing
    but while in 3G the phone acts normal batt life up to almost 2 days (basically idle,, handful of txt, phone calls, and web)
    man if I knew this, I would of just stuck with a 3G phone
  14. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

"man if I knew this, I would of just stuck with a 3G phone" Ditto. :) I use WiFi 99% of the time anyway. I think that's why a lot of the phones still coming out are 3G. 4G just isn't there yet imo.
  15. billge

billge New Member

Well I'm told that is why are at least 1 of the reasons that apple has not put up a 4 g phone yet. 4 g chips seem to soak up an awful lot of power to keep up with the band width diamonds.

the verizon android upgrade seems to have caused the DROIDX to use more power as well but then again I have spent a lot of time setting options, as you do with any new ROM.

Look for a larger battery out soon.

Sent from my DROIDX
  16. flipteg

flipteg New Member

i'm not sure if LTE is all to blame. from my previous post above, i should have mentioned that i am always on LTE. i never restart the phone if i don't need to and although i do experience the battery problem, i don't experience it at the same ratio as LTE use. with LTE on all the time, i experience the problem maybe 1 time per week. but as i said, there really is no pattern.

of course, the problem could also be on LTE on Verizon's network like the restart issues some people are having.

my phone is rooted with the update installed. i've had my phone since release day and my phone has acted the way i have described above with and without the update. i should also mentioned that i exchanged my first phone after a week of use for unrelated issues and it too acted the same way. 18 hours battery life with 2 hours uptime but when it goes in to a fit, it can use the battery in less than 5 hours with no usage.
  17. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

My phone also losses battery km weird times. Today in the morning I literally had 70% battery after 24 hours of light use in only 4g. Then in a matter of 5 hours my phone lost over 50% in a matter of two hours about 30. The phone got hot too and I hate restarting it cause I lose a ton of battery.

I have the extended battery too.

Another thing is I use this phone for half hour and the battery doesn't budge. Then after I turn off the screen it goes down very fast...wtf this phone doesn't know how to read battery percentage?

It's annoying all these stupid little glitches and they're all battery related.

Just now my phone charging went from 90% to being full.
  18. leo67

leo67 New Member

and at 50% of batt life when it does go into a fit, it drops to 5-10% within
    30 minutes ( at least with mine)

someone mentioned the 4G chip is a pig..... is there also a 3G chip along side the 4G... cause 3 days and counting, didn't toggle out of the 3G realm and the phone acts, like how a new phone should, and I
    mean using the **** out of it, granted some things were slower like videos, and larger files, but it's performance was solid (only time it got barely luke warm was when I used it as a hot spot)....................................till I toggled back to 4G,,,, after a couple of vids, and checking a few sites,,, a phone call or 2.... batt took a nose dive, and the built in nuclear reactor went into a tantrum ( I was at 70%, and dropped down to 30% within 30 or so min) holy **** this is annoying.... I get a 4G phone, but end up using it in 3G because it's unstable in 4G + paying the premium to VZ....WTF!!

guess they released these things before they worked the bugs out, but that's hard to believe that they would deceive consumers in that fashion..
    as an early adopter, I was expecting some bugs, but not 3 mile island
  19. daggy1985

daggy1985 New Member

So it happened again...I had not had any issues since last weekend. After the last time this happened I purchased the system monitor to identify any rogue apps. Earlier in the week the android system did start using the cpu at nearly 100% load for 25 minutes before Ii restarted the phone to get it to stop, which it did. No further issues for the next 3 days...then today my phone was at about 70 % after being unplugged for 9 hours, then it dropped off like crazy over the next hour and a half. I've had current widget installed and keeping a log of the power consumption every minute or two. Since Ive installed it the power consumption when screen has been of has been about 34 mA, today when the battery dropped off the power consumption was 350 to 450 mA for the entire time the battery drained with screen off. But guess what nothing showed up in battery usage screen as the culpriate, no app was using processor, processor idle the whole time. So could it be the 4 G attenna? I think not cause this has happened with the data turned off. The only other thing I can think of is the cell signal, but it doesnt make any sense to me cause I havent noticed any drop in signal strength. Anyone have any ideas?
    Sent from my NOOKcolor using DroidForums
  20. flipteg

flipteg New Member

i think we need an app that will allow us to set an alarm so that the app will alert us when a certain set of amperage is being used while the phone is asleep. for example if the amperage goes over 0.06 amps when the phone is supposed to be asleep, it will sound an alarm so we know to restart the phone.
Search tags for this page
android battery life decreasing
android battery life suddenly decreased

battery life decreasing

droid x battery life decreased
htc one battery life suddenly drops
htc one x sudden battery drain

my battery life is decreasing

phone battery decreasing fast

phone battery life decreasing

phone battery suddenly decrease
sudden drop in battery android