Sudden Change in Battery Life (major decrease)

flipteg

Reaction score
i'm not sure if LTE is all to blame. from my previous post above, i should have mentioned that i am always on LTE. i never restart the phone if i don't need to and although i do experience the battery problem, i don't experience it at the same ratio as LTE use. with LTE on all the time, i experience the problem maybe 1 time per week. but as i said, there really is no pattern.

of course, the problem could also be on LTE on Verizon's network like the restart issues some people are having.

my phone is rooted with the update installed. i've had my phone since release day and my phone has acted the way i have described above with and without the update. i should also mentioned that i exchanged my first phone after a week of use for unrelated issues and it too acted the same way. 18 hours battery life with 2 hours uptime but when it goes in to a fit, it can use the battery in less than 5 hours with no usage.

alboboy10

Reaction score
My phone also losses battery km weird times. Today in the morning I literally had 70% battery after 24 hours of light use in only 4g. Then in a matter of 5 hours my phone lost over 50% in a matter of two hours about 30. The phone got hot too and I hate restarting it cause I lose a ton of battery.

I have the extended battery too.

Another thing is I use this phone for half hour and the battery doesn't budge. Then after I turn off the screen it goes down very fast...wtf this phone doesn't know how to read battery percentage?

It's annoying all these stupid little glitches and they're all battery related.

Just now my phone charging went from 90% to being full.

leo67

Reaction score
18 hours battery life with 2 hours uptime but when it goes in to a fit, it can use the battery in less than 5 hours with no usage.

and at 50% of batt life when it does go into a fit, it drops to 5-10% within
30 minutes ( at least with mine)

someone mentioned the 4G chip is a pig..... is there also a 3G chip along side the 4G... cause 3 days and counting, didn't toggle out of the 3G realm and the phone acts, like how a new phone should, and I
mean using the **** out of it, granted some things were slower like videos, and larger files, but it's performance was solid (only time it got barely luke warm was when I used it as a hot spot)....................................till I toggled back to 4G,,,, after a couple of vids, and checking a few sites,,, a phone call or 2.... batt took a nose dive, and the built in nuclear reactor went into a tantrum ( I was at 70%, and dropped down to 30% within 30 or so min) holy **** this is annoying.... I get a 4G phone, but end up using it in 3G because it's unstable in 4G + paying the premium to VZ....WTF!!

guess they released these things before they worked the bugs out, but that's hard to believe that they would deceive consumers in that fashion..
as an early adopter, I was expecting some bugs, but not 3 mile island

daggy1985

Reaction score
So it happened again...I had not had any issues since last weekend. After the last time this happened I purchased the system monitor to identify any rogue apps. Earlier in the week the android system did start using the cpu at nearly 100% load for 25 minutes before Ii restarted the phone to get it to stop, which it did. No further issues for the next 3 days...then today my phone was at about 70 % after being unplugged for 9 hours, then it dropped off like crazy over the next hour and a half. I've had current widget installed and keeping a log of the power consumption every minute or two. Since Ive installed it the power consumption when screen has been of has been about 34 mA, today when the battery dropped off the power consumption was 350 to 450 mA for the entire time the battery drained with screen off. But guess what nothing showed up in battery usage screen as the culpriate, no app was using processor, processor idle the whole time. So could it be the 4 G attenna? I think not cause this has happened with the data turned off. The only other thing I can think of is the cell signal, but it doesnt make any sense to me cause I havent noticed any drop in signal strength. Anyone have any ideas?
Sent from my NOOKcolor using DroidForums

flipteg

Reaction score
i think we need an app that will allow us to set an alarm so that the app will alert us when a certain set of amperage is being used while the phone is asleep. for example if the amperage goes over 0.06 amps when the phone is supposed to be asleep, it will sound an alarm so we know to restart the phone.

daggy1985

Reaction score
i think we need an app that will allow us to set an alarm so that the app will alert us when a certain set of amperage is being used while the phone is asleep. for example if the amperage goes over 0.06 amps when the phone is supposed to be asleep, it will sound an alarm so we know to restart the phone.

Now thats an idea! ;)
Sent from my NOOKcolor using DroidForums

leo67

Reaction score

we... paid good money for this crap!!
we....shouldn't dedicate and put in so much time and effort to make this phone behave,,(granted some folks like tweaking, I am not one of them) it should be the people doing the leg work..who said this is an excellent unit and hands down the best thing out there and sold it to us anyway,,knowing it still has bugs
we... shouldn't have to restart our brand new phones,, at least not at this rate
They... need to find a solution/fix ASAP........ because I'm sure with all this overheating will eventually lead into premature failure (prob way before the contract ends).... and I'm sure
They.... will give us every excuse there is under the sun.. NOT to get us new units

Besides, I think hearing an alarm to tell me to restart the phone everytime
the reactor goes in to melt down status,, will get old rather quickly

daggy1985

Reaction score

we... paid good money for this crap!!
we....shouldn't dedicate and put in so much time and effort to make this phone behave,,(granted some folks like tweaking, I am not one of them) it should be the people doing the leg work..who said this is an excellent unit and hands down the best thing out there and sold it to us anyway,,knowing it still has bugs
we... shouldn't have to restart our brand new phones,, at least not at this rate
They... need to find a solution/fix ASAP........ because I'm sure with all this overheating will eventually lead into premature failure (prob way before the contract ends).... and I'm sure
They.... will give us every excuse there is under the sun.. NOT to get us new units

Besides, I think hearing an alarm to tell me to restart the phone everytime
the reactor goes in to melt down status,, will get old rather quickly

I agree! Its been kind of annoying me cause it seems like Htc has been virtually silent on all these issues that the thunderbolt has been having. I want some kind of update on where htc is at on all these problems, but then again when does any company admit there is a bunch of issues with their product? Unfortunately with private corporations we dont get the kind of support we do from great devs that we see on xda and droid forums.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

leo67

Reaction score
And just love HTC's commercials, they make it like it's a perfect world, and are inspired by natural things........ so it integrates well with mankind..... YEAH RIGHT......... wake the F**K up and get a damn fix going already

and recent surveys says it gives the Iphone a run for the money,,,,,, don't know bout that, man I'm thinking of going to the dark side, got a bunch of friends with Iphones-- the 3Gs and 4......................................... no problems whatsoever, some have small kids (7-10 Yo's)that stream alot of vids and games for an entire afternoon
without a hitch, and needing a damn fire extinguisher

daggy1985

Reaction score
And just love HTC's commercials, they make it like it's a perfect world, and are inspired by natural things........ so it integrates well with mankind..... YEAH RIGHT......... wake the F**K up and get a damn fix going already

and recent surveys says it gives the Iphone a run for the money,,,,,, don't know bout that, man I'm thinking of going to the dark side, got a bunch of friends with Iphones-- the 3Gs and 4......................................... no problems whatsoever, some have small kids (7-10 Yo's)that stream alot of vids and games for an entire afternoon
without a hitch, and needing a damn fire extinguisher

Lol i have to admit the thought of going to the dark side has crossed my mind, but I know I couldnt handle the chain n ball that is ios.

flipteg

Reaction score
i have been using an app called Process Monitor for a couple of days now. even when the phone is behaving, a system process called "Suspend" seems to be always showing around 8-12% CPU usage.

when i did a Google search for the terms "Android suspend process", i came across this thread: Issue 11126 - android - "suspend" process runs continually in background at ~40% CPU on HTC EVO 4G - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

there's a lot of people's speculations of what and what isn't the cause of the problem. i'm not sure if our problem is the same but the symptoms are the same. i.e. unusual battery usage from time to time with no pattern and a reboot will fix it temporarily until next time.

much of the comments suggest that it might be a bug in Froyo since the suspend bug affects phones from different manufacturers across different networks. the bad part is, there doesn't seem to be a fix for now.

i also came across another thread with people having what appears to be the same problems on the Nexus One AFTER updating to Gingerbread. my Nexus One with Gingerbread is with my girlfriend now but i don't think the battery usage on that phone is any different from when i used it for a year on Froyo.

leo67

Reaction score
Can we pull up "suspend" W/O Process monitor,, in other words can I access it through the phones stock monitor?

Symptoms are the same yes, but on mine the symptom never happens while I'm toggled down to 3G,, only does it while in 4G

is everyone experiencing the symptom while in 3G as well

flipteg

Reaction score
with the stock battery monitor, it will show collectively as Android Systems since the stock battery monitor doesn't distinguish individual system and kernel processes.

daggy1985

Reaction score
Can we pull up "suspend" W/O Process monitor,, in other words can I access it through the phones stock monitor?

Symptoms are the same yes, but on mine the symptom never happens while I'm toggled down to 3G,, only does it while in 4G

I've had it happen a couple of times with data off completely.

leo67

Reaction score
with the stock battery monitor, it will show collectively as Android Systems since the stock battery monitor doesn't distinguish individual system and kernel processes.

I see, thanks... that is the one that always shows a low % rate (at least on mine)

I've had it happen a couple of times with data off completely.

Guess just a coincidence, was in 4G all day yesterday, managed to get 2 clips uploaded to Utube.... did get slightly warm...... Surprised though,, both clips were 15-18mb each,, phone didn't go into a meltdown and actually cooled down after the process....W/O any intervention from me
Now this is how a normal device works.......... we'll see how long this lasts