Sudden Change in Battery Life (major decrease)

daggy1985

Reaction score
with the stock battery monitor, it will show collectively as Android Systems since the stock battery monitor doesn't distinguish individual system and kernel processes.

I see, thanks... that is the one that always shows a low % rate (at least on mine)

Can we pull up "suspend" W/O Process monitor,, in other words can I access it through the phones stock monitor?

Symptoms are the same yes, but on mine the symptom never happens while I'm toggled down to 3G,, only does it while in 4G

is everyone experiencing the symptom while in 3G as well

I've had it happen a couple of times with data off completely.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Guess just a coincidence, was in 4G all day yesterday, managed to get 2 clips uploaded to Utube.... did get slightly warm...... Surprised though,, both clips were 15-18mb each,, phone didn't go into a meltdown and actually cooled down after the process....W/O any intervention from me
Now this is how a normal device works.......... we'll see how long this lasts
Lol ya we'll see it happens fairly randomly like the random reboots, which thankfully I've only had 1 that I know of.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Sparkee

Reaction score
Battery and phone!_

This is my fifth, yes fifth Global Droid since I bought it in December, 2010. I have had every excuse in the book as to why it it shut down, froze, literally spazzed out where the phone was vibrating and the screen was chunking the picture in an out. I have the extended battery and it has its moments where it just loses it power and goes down to 15%. My daughter had five phones also. They sent her a blackberry and she hated it. So she ended up with the droid Pro. She likes that phone...I bought this phone and paid big dollars for it. I love it except this one is starting to do the same thing now after about two months of behaving. What I don't understand is how they can get away with sending me a used/factory replacement and I paid 500 dollars for the new one...

leo67

Reaction score
What can we say..... They have our you know whats in thier palms and they know it.
we can scream, rant on, email HTC's mother, email Verizons mother, write in forums, etc....etc.... bottom line,, after they ask,, well do you want it? we reply YES!!
because they know we have become dependent on these little devices,, and feel we are missing a limb, if W/O a smart phone.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend has gotten atrocious battery life since day 1. She called VZW and complained and they sent her a new high capacity battery and cover for free.

That seemed to help, but now she is back to having crappy battery life. She charges the phone all night, unplugs it and goes to work and by 10am she is already down to 60% and she hasn't even used the phone.

When she checks the battery usage states, it says the display is chewing up like 70% of the power, but the screen brightness is set to 35%, screen turns off after 30 seconds, Wifi, BT and GPS are all disabled, sych is disabled, etc...

I think that HTC simply put out a lemon of a phone. This battery issue is wide spread. It may not effect everyone, but it is probably 25% of the units on the street. If a car were to have a half of a percent failure rate there would be a recall.

These phone makers are so desperate to get the latest and greatest out the door a week before the other guy that they put out crap phones full of hardware and software bugs that are clearly NOT ready for prime time, and when they charge several hundred dollars and lock you into a 2 year contract and hold you hostage with a shoddy product, it drives me nuts.

Enough already. Admit the problem, issue a recall or fix the stupid problem and be done with it.

It's better to delay and put out a good product than to be the first to market with a crappy one, IMHO. But then again, I am not getting paid a million dollars a year to produce second rate phones, so what do I know...

alboboy10

Reaction score
You're absolutely right. They did the same with the blackberry storm which is the reason I left blackberry. They released it months ahead of time so they'd make huge benefits come christmas time and that's the worst device i ever owned.

They need to test these phones....not one or two but hundreds of them. And if it seems as though it's not ready for market don't release it. People spend money on this stuff.

All companies do this crap it's annoying. Apple did it with their antennas recall on their iphone. This phone battery is the obviously the biggest problem.

Idk how much worse a phones battery can get then on the thunderbolt. I love this phone...but just that damn battery pisses me off. How do u put a 1400 on a 4.3 inch screen with 4g lol I find it humorous. The iphone has the same battery on a 3.5 inch screen, 3g only, plus android system is known to consume a lot of battery.

That's the one thing I prefer about motorola and samsung, battery. My dx had a great battery considering I never changed the settings for it. Going a day on stock was not a problem. Never rooted it, never bothered changing settings much.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. They did the same with the blackberry storm which is the reason I left blackberry. They released it months ahead of time so they'd make huge benefits come christmas time and that's the worst device i ever owned.

They need to test these phones....not one or two but hundreds of them. And if it seems as though it's not ready for market don't release it. People spend money on this stuff.

All companies do this crap it's annoying. Apple did it with their antennas recall on their iphone. This phone battery is the obviously the biggest problem.

Idk how much worse a phones battery can get then on the thunderbolt. I love this phone...but just that damn battery pisses me off. How do u put a 1400 on a 4.3 inch screen with 4g lol I find it humorous. The iphone has the same battery on a 3.5 inch screen, 3g only, plus android system is known to consume a lot of battery.

That's the one thing I prefer about motorola and samsung, battery. My dx had a great battery considering I never changed the settings for it. Going a day on stock was not a problem. Never rooted it, never bothered changing settings much.

The bean counters do their number crunching. They look at the number of lost sales from a 1 month delay, plus possible manufacturing and development costs, and contrast that to the maybe 5-10% of consumers that will get mad enough to actually return the phone. Whichever one costs them less, is what they do.

There is no way that HTC and VZW were unaware that the TB had the worst battery life of any phone on the market. They absolutely knew it. But they spent a ton of money on advertizing, and if they delayed it any longer then they would get bad press for "having to delay the phone because it is buggy", not to mention letting AT&T and the Atrix getting the jump on them.

So they released a junk phone, knowingly.

It's like game companies. They have a deadline, they have a game that still needs work, so they release it anyway and justify it by saying that "we can always fix it with patches later"...

And because most of us run out to get that shiny new phone or game anyway, they make tens of millions of dollars and get away with it.

This is the kind of crap that the FCC or some consumer group should be dealing with. Not worrying about whether Stern or Opie and Anthony say the word penis on the air. Seeing how integral smart phones are as a communications device in today's world, they need to crack down on these companies that knowingly put out defective products, which in essense is fraud when you think about it.

If Ford puts out a car that they knew had issues, even ones not related to safety, they come under fire, have to issue recalls and stuff, etc...

So why not smart phones? It's not just a novelty any more. These devices are how people communicate, they are how business gets done.

HTC and VZW should be ashamed of themselves, but they are not. After all, they are making money hand over fist for something that they knew to be defective. There is no accountability, they are rewarded for what they are doing, and that is why it will never change.

kyhall

Reaction score
I finally broke down and purchased the large extended battery, and my battery life still SUCKS! I am in an area fully covered by 4g, have ready every trick to extend battery life (included an app that is supposed to drop me to 3g when I don't use the phone, and back to 4g when I have the phone on). I talk on my phone for about 10 minutes, have the screen set at 30% and have it on for about 15 minutes, check e-mails (for about 10 minutes), no surfing, no videos, no music. turn off wi-fi, bluetooth, and every other application that shows as running....and STILL get a charge that lasts about 5 hours. Un-friggin beleiveable. Nice big screen, smoking fast internet...too bad I can't use it.

alboboy10

Reaction score
My phone got 24 hours on small battery with different rom. Those things really work.

Might be a bad phone you have

leo67

Reaction score
Nice big screen, smoking fast internet...too bad I can't use it.

Didn't you read the fine print in the manual: "In order to use the device to it's full potential you must use the phone near a 120v power source"

I've said on this thread earlier....... Iphone starting to look attractive

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
My phone got 24 hours on small battery with different rom. Those things really work.

Not when you see so many of them having the same problem.

It is a flaw in the OS or the hardware when you see it on this scale.

Once again a phone company and provider spent more money on commercials and advertizing than they did on R&D and Quality Control.

They knew the phone had issues and released it anyway, knowing that they would still make a profit.

Even if they have to replace a ton of phones, they locked everyone into a 2 year contract so they are making money hand over fist...

alboboy10

Reaction score
Nice big screen, smoking fast internet...too bad I can't use it.

Didn't you read the fine print in the manual: "In order to use the device to it's full potential you must use the phone near a 120v power source"

I've said on this thread earlier....... Iphone starting to look attractive

Just don't hold it on your left hand or u might drop a call.

alboboy10

Reaction score

Once again a phone company and provider spent more money on commercials and advertizing than they did on R&D and Quality Control.

They knew the phone had issues and released it anyway, knowing that they would still make a profit.

Even if they have to replace a ton of phones, they locked everyone into a 2 year contract so they are making money hand over fist...

You're right but every phone that comes out has problems. This one has a fixable solution.

Root. Rom. Setcpu. Extended battery. Etc

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

You're right but every phone that comes out has problems. This one has a fixable solution.

Root. Rom. Setcpu. Extended battery. Etc

It is not a solution. Hacking the phone and thereby destroying the warranty in order to get it to work the way it is supposed to work out of the box, is not a "fix".

That's like saying that your brand new Toyota has issues so the fix is to drop a Honda engine in it. Sure, I guess it is an option, but hardly one that I would consider on a new car under warranty, you know?