Stock Thunderbolt rebooting randomly

primetime1267

Reaction score
Yep, mine just started this rebooting crap today.. I'm completely stock. I'm calling tomorrow afternoon.

ziggy484

Reaction score
20 years ago or not, I don't friggen care!

If it really will be upwards of 2 months before we get a fix on the reboot issue that Verizon and HTC caused themselves by pushing out an update that broke more devices than it fixed, then yes, there is a serious issue on here. I don't give a crap if you were dealing with a rotary phone 20 years ago and the idea of a cell phone is novel to you. Some people actually use their phones as, you know, PHONES, and if the thing is constantly dropping calls and randomly rebooting in the middle of an important call, then yes, there IS a huge problem here.

Its completely and utterly unacceptable for Verizon and HTC to drag their feet to fix a problem with $600 devices that they broke themselves, especially when they offer no compensation to the affected customers other than "here's a device to replace yours... don't mind the fact that its a factory refurbished from someone elses device that already broke, we promise that it works juuuuuuust fine". Sorry... from a PR standpoint, that's about as bad as it gets.

If this really does take until July before we see any kind of fix, then I demand some kind of reimbursement for the crap they have been putting me through. I don't want some refurbished Piece of Crap that someone else already returned. I paid upwards of $200 and signed a 2 year locked in rate deal with no out clause for a working product that was made defective by the other party in the contract. Finding a fix should be their highest priority right now.

Hey beardface, couple things...
Nobody cares to listen to you ranting like a child, crap this and friggin that. Make all the "demands" you want, verizon or htc doesnt care whether or not you are satisfied, what more do you want than a replacement device when you have a problem? And $200 is NOT alot of money. Read any forum on any carrier, nobody is out there saying how their phone works flawlessly and the customer serivice is perfect. Buy a new phone so you can go complain on some other forum.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

cutiedroid

Reaction score
I really hope consumer reports gets involved as it is Verizon is trying to sweep this under the rug and move on to a new flagship device.

One poster says its not totally Verizon's fault yet you say Consumers Report should do an exposé on them because they're sweeping the truth under the rug. I'd say everything is not a conspiracy.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I can't figure out why these "demands" are being made to us here on the forum. Stop wasting your energy complaining to the forums and typing long posts asserting your stance on the tbolt ota patch. Use that energy to write a formal complaint and send it to the CEO of VZW or talk to your local store manager. It's not convincing us forum members that VZW owes you something substantial for a temporary period of time where an ota causes reboots for SOME. VZW did not torture u into buying the phone it was your decision.

Or root your phone and put a much improved Rom on your phone and use it like it was intended. I recently flashed thunderrom and have not had a reboot. Nor did I have one for weeks using bamf 1.6.3.

The bottom line is that your flagrant and persistent complaining and tbolt bashing is obnoxious to most of us here.

ridin the lightning

Last edited:

Beardface

Reaction score

If it really will be upwards of 2 months before we get a fix on the reboot issue that Verizon and HTC caused themselves by pushing out an update that broke more devices than it fixed, then yes, there is a serious issue on here. I don't give a crap if you were dealing with a rotary phone 20 years ago and the idea of a cell phone is novel to you. Some people actually use their phones as, you know, PHONES, and if the thing is constantly dropping calls and randomly rebooting in the middle of an important call, then yes, there IS a huge problem here.

Its completely and utterly unacceptable for Verizon and HTC to drag their feet to fix a problem with $600 devices that they broke themselves, especially when they offer no compensation to the affected customers other than "here's a device to replace yours... don't mind the fact that its a factory refurbished from someone elses device that already broke, we promise that it works juuuuuuust fine". Sorry... from a PR standpoint, that's about as bad as it gets.

If this really does take until July before we see any kind of fix, then I demand some kind of reimbursement for the crap they have been putting me through. I don't want some refurbished Piece of Crap that someone else already returned. I paid upwards of $200 and signed a 2 year locked in rate deal with no out clause for a working product that was made defective by the other party in the contract. Finding a fix should be their highest priority right now.

Nobody cares to listen to you ranting like a child, crap this and friggin that. Make all the "demands" you want, verizon or htc doesnt care whether or not you are satisfied, what more do you want than a replacement device when you have a problem? And $200 is NOT alot of money. Read any forum on any carrier, nobody is out there saying how their phone works flawlessly and the customer serivice is perfect. Buy a new phone so you can go complain on some other forum.

$200 is not a lot of money... true...

$200 in up front costs plus a locked in 24 month plan that you cannot back out of through the duration costing a minimum $100 a month before corporate discounts equals roughly $2,600, and that IS a lot of money. And if Verizon is not holding up their end of the deal, your ONLY options are to go to Verizon and have them send you another phone that has already been returned and supposedly "fixed" because of a defect the device already displayed, buy another phone at retail price ($500-$600) or switch to another carrier and pay the $350 Early Termination Fee for owning a Smart Phone.

So yeah, when you add it all up, it really IS a lot of money to the consumer that I'm talking about, and its complete and utter BS that Verizon & HTC are dragging their feet in fixing the problem they created in the first place. I invested a lot of money into this device, and to not be able to do even the simplest of things without interruption or complete system failure because of a screw up on Verizon/HTC's end in putting out an update with a KNOWN defect (yes, I say known because the people who were testing the update had the SAME problems we are experiencing now)... well, that's just terrible. It goes beyond bad customer service. It is poor business ethics.

And another thing... Because of this, I will likely root my device soon, but it is completely and utterly unacceptable for the only fix in the month since the update to be "root your device". You shouldn't have to void your warranty to make the device perform as advertised.

Black07roadking

Reaction score

$200 in up front costs plus a locked in 24 month plan that you cannot back out of through the duration costing a minimum $100 a month before corporate discounts equals roughly $2,600, and that IS a lot of money. And if Verizon is not holding up their end of the deal, your ONLY options are to go to Verizon and have them send you another phone that has already been returned and supposedly "fixed" because of a defect the device already displayed, buy another phone at retail price ($500-$600) or switch to another carrier and pay the $350 Early Termination Fee for owning a Smart Phone.

So yeah, when you add it all up, it really IS a lot of money to the consumer that I'm talking about, and its complete and utter BS that Verizon & HTC are dragging their feet in fixing the problem they created in the first place. I invested a lot of money into this device, and to not be able to do even the simplest of things without interruption or complete system failure because of a screw up on Verizon/HTC's end in putting out an update with a KNOWN defect (yes, I say known because the people who were testing the update had the SAME problems we are experiencing now)... well, that's just terrible. It goes beyond bad customer service. It is poor business ethics.

And another thing... Because of this, I will likely root my device soon, but it is completely and utterly unacceptable for the only fix in the month since the update to be "root your device". You shouldn't have to void your warranty to make the device perform as advertised.

Hey, beardface! Relax!!!! It's just a phone! YOU chose to buy this phone. YOU chose to extend your contract. Deal with it! No one twisted your arm to make either of those choices. Dude just relax... It's a PHONE! Yes It does more than make calls... But it's just a phone! You actually as if all of us TB owners want to hang HTC and Verizon. Not all of us are unhappy with our TB's! My PHONE does more than some computers out there and FASTER! Just RELAX, the bugs will get ironed out and most of us will be happy... Then again there will still be those out there who will never be happy. Name ANY PHONE out there who has a 100% satisfied customer base??? Even the coveted iPhone has serious issues. Jesus... Quit whinning!!!!

Sent from my Thunderbolt w/2750 mAh battery!

frankzumo

Reaction score

Honestly I don’t think he is ranting like a child. The problem in that Verizon/HTC needs to answer the questions of their customers, and make them feel at ease. I have had two Thunderbolts and I am about to get a third. We all know what the issue is REBOOTING. I have posted similar postings or rants on the Verizon forums. Do you think a Verizon rep answered any posts? No.

Everybody is not into rooting, flashing or even disco dancing……..If I did these things to my phone constant rebooting should not be an issue. If a Verizon and HTC are advertising the Thunderbolt to the public, it should work as advertised. Now if I was to purchase this phone and at the bottom of my receipt in fine print it stated “Three to four reboots a day is normal” I could understand.

In all everybody complains about something. It could be something as trivial as toilet paper, cell phones or a car. If you say you don’t, you are a flat out lire…….Even the clown in the video…Heck, he is complaining about people complaining. :icon_ peace:

ziggy484

Reaction score
If you guys insist on complaining, take it to someone who cares... What is the forum going to do for you? They offer you as many replacement phones as it takes, what else do you want? Deposits in your bank account?

Beardface

Reaction score

Hey, beardface! Relax!!!! It's just a phone! YOU chose to buy this phone. YOU chose to extend your contract. Deal with it! No one twisted your arm to make either of those choices. Dude just relax... It's a PHONE! Yes It does more than make calls... But it's just a phone! You actually as if all of us TB owners want to hang HTC and Verizon. Not all of us are unhappy with our TB's! My PHONE does more than some computers out there and FASTER! Just RELAX, the bugs will get ironed out and most of us will be happy... Then again there will still be those out there who will never be happy. Name ANY PHONE out there who has a 100% satisfied customer base??? Even the coveted iPhone has serious issues. Jesus... Quit whinning!!!!

Oh well good for you, your phone acts like it should.

But hey, guess what. Not all of ours do, and for 99.9% of us, the problems started with the May OTA. I did not have any rebooting problems with the device before then, and now I am averaging one every three days. Doesn't seem like a lot, until that reboot happens in the middle of a job interview. And as I said, Verizon/HTC BROKE the device with the update. The problem did not exist before and it does now. That is not "working out the bugs", that is creating the bugs themselves and not fixing them.

Yeah, that's a bit of a big deal to me.

As for the fix? Well, either let me get another top of the line phone like I paid for that doesn't have these problems that Verizon/HTC aren't fixing, or reimburse me 50% on my bill for the months that I have to deal with the problem that they created. Both options are reasonable and fair.

And for those who don't want to read about the problems... Here's an idea. DON'T COME TO THIS THREAD. What did you think you were going to see when you read the OP? "oooooh yay, I am totally fine with Verizon waiting 2 months to fix my phone that they broke... yaaaaaaaaaaaay"

Whatever

ziggy484

Reaction score

Oh well good for you, your phone acts like it should.

But hey, guess what. Not all of ours do, and for 99.9% of us, the problems started with the May OTA. I did not have any rebooting problems with the device before then, and now I am averaging one every three days. Doesn't seem like a lot, until that reboot happens in the middle of a job interview. And as I said, Verizon/HTC BROKE the device with the update. The problem did not exist before and it does now. That is not "working out the bugs", that is creating the bugs themselves and not fixing them.

Yeah, that's a bit of a big deal to me.

As for the fix? Well, either let me get another top of the line phone like I paid for that doesn't have these problems that Verizon/HTC aren't fixing, or reimburse me 50% on my bill for the months that I have to deal with the problem that they created. Both options are reasonable and fair.

And for those who don't want to read about the problems... Here's an idea. DON'T COME TO THIS THREAD. What did you think you were going to see when you read the OP? "oooooh yay, I am totally fine with Verizon waiting 2 months to fix my phone that they broke... yaaaaaaaaaaaay"

Whatever

You might as well get over it, they ARE offering a top line phone, the replacement tb... And youll never get cash back for phone bills. Thats as good as it get so DEAL WITH IT. and 99.9% user arent having problems, you are the minority, everyone on this forum is the minority, of all tb owners

frankzumo

Reaction score
If you guys insist on complaining, take it to someone who cares... What is the forum going to do for you? They offer you as many replacement phones as it takes, what else do you want? Deposits in your bank account?

Oh….I am not complaining. I have already voiced my complaints to Verizon/HTC. I just understand his position.
Verizon has a system in place to fix the problem. Call, report the problem and they will send you another one. I say keep those Fed X drivers busy. :icon_ peace:

polo3034

Reaction score
It might be worth a try for others to do what I did: I just "force stop"ed the FM radio apps under Manage Applications, and I honestly haven't had a single problem since then.

Might give it a try...?

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Louis ck was not actually complaining in the video. He is a comedian and that is material. There is a difference in discussing complaints in jest vs actually complaining. Know the difference.

Honestly I don't see why someone would NOT want root and Rom. I couldn't live with the redundant recently used apps in notification pulldown and all the advertising. I don't really tether and I still couldnt bear the stock configuration.

ridin the lightning

Dedic761

Reaction score
I just used the new battery with my new one and then I just sent my old battery back with the old phone.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I called verizon this morning after having my T-Bolt for 13 days now and complained about the restarting issue that seems to be common. About 2 minutes later they came back and said they are sending me a brand new (not a fru) T-Bolt next day. He also said that this issue will be no longer on my new replacement phone. I also talked about the battery life with him, even though since the update on 5-20-11 my battery life is much better (with the help of A.T.K. Pro and Juice Defender).

Hope this sheds some light for other T-Bolt owners.

-Nick
Glad you're getting a new TB. Mine is first generation and I don't have the reboot issues thankfully.

Do yourself a favor, get rid of the A.T.K. - there's lots of threads that will educate you why they're no good.