Stock Thunderbolt rebooting randomly

ziggy484

Reaction score
If you guys insist on complaining, take it to someone who cares... What is the forum going to do for you? They offer you as many replacement phones as it takes, what else do you want? Deposits in your bank account?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Oh….I am not complaining. I have already voiced my complaints to Verizon/HTC. I just understand his position.
Verizon has a system in place to fix the problem. Call, report the problem and they will send you another one. I say keep those Fed X drivers busy. :icon_ peace:
you are exactly right, but this clown beardface just doesnt want to let up

MrKleen

Reaction score
$200 is not a lot of money... true...

$200 in up front costs plus a locked in 24 month plan that you cannot back out of through the duration costing a minimum $100 a month before corporate discounts equals roughly $2,600, and that IS a lot of money. And if Verizon is not holding up their end of the deal, your ONLY options are to go to Verizon and have them send you another phone that has already been returned and supposedly "fixed" because of a defect the device already displayed, buy another phone at retail price ($500-$600) or switch to another carrier and pay the $350 Early Termination Fee for owning a Smart Phone.

So yeah, when you add it all up, it really IS a lot of money to the consumer that I'm talking about, and its complete and utter BS that Verizon & HTC are dragging their feet in fixing the problem they created in the first place. I invested a lot of money into this device, and to not be able to do even the simplest of things without interruption or complete system failure because of a screw up on Verizon/HTC's end in putting out an update with a KNOWN defect (yes, I say known because the people who were testing the update had the SAME problems we are experiencing now)... well, that's just terrible. It goes beyond bad customer service. It is poor business ethics.

And another thing... Because of this, I will likely root my device soon, but it is completely and utterly unacceptable for the only fix in the month since the update to be "root your device". You shouldn't have to void your warranty to make the device perform as advertised.

Hey, beardface! Relax!!!! It's just a phone! YOU chose to buy this phone. YOU chose to extend your contract. Deal with it! No one twisted your arm to make either of those choices. Dude just relax... It's a PHONE! Yes It does more than make calls... But it's just a phone! You actually as if all of us TB owners want to hang HTC and Verizon. Not all of us are unhappy with our TB's! My PHONE does more than some computers out there and FASTER! Just RELAX, the bugs will get ironed out and most of us will be happy... Then again there will still be those out there who will never be happy. Name ANY PHONE out there who has a 100% satisfied customer base??? Even the coveted iPhone has serious issues. Jesus... Quit whinning!!!!

Sent from my Thunderbolt w/2750 mAh battery!
Oh well good for you, your phone acts like it should.

But hey, guess what. Not all of ours do, and for 99.9% of us, the problems started with the May OTA. I did not have any rebooting problems with the device before then, and now I am averaging one every three days. Doesn't seem like a lot, until that reboot happens in the middle of a job interview. And as I said, Verizon/HTC BROKE the device with the update. The problem did not exist before and it does now. That is not "working out the bugs", that is creating the bugs themselves and not fixing them.

Yeah, that's a bit of a big deal to me.

As for the fix? Well, either let me get another top of the line phone like I paid for that doesn't have these problems that Verizon/HTC aren't fixing, or reimburse me 50% on my bill for the months that I have to deal with the problem that they created. Both options are reasonable and fair.

And for those who don't want to read about the problems... Here's an idea. DON'T COME TO THIS THREAD. What did you think you were going to see when you read the OP? "oooooh yay, I am totally fine with Verizon waiting 2 months to fix my phone that they broke... yaaaaaaaaaaaay"

Whatever

Hi Beardface, I'm sorry you are having issues with your phone... I know it can be very upsetting and inconvenient.

I have my phone working flawlessly and perfectly and know that you can have the same. I would very willing to help you resolve your issues. There is no reason you should have to continue being upset.... If you like I will fix it for you.

I have made this offer to many people. Several have taken me up on the offer and then there are the many who don't. Actually some then say they are fine with it the way it is... LOL, which simply means they enjoy complaining about nothing. No I am not saying this is you.... But I would be very happy to help you out.

My help will require you to set aside time to work with me over the phone. Also the ability to follow simple instructions that will require a little patience. We WILL root your phone in the process. If you are not comfortable doing this over the phone I can do it all for you myself if you send me the phone. (I've had 1 person from this forum do this).

If you are not interested and would like to simply keep things as they are that is fine. You being happy with your phone is all that matters.

P.S. No need to worry about voiding a warranty. If you ever need to take the phone to a store you can simply revert to stock with no root.... Warranty back in place!

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would gladly root your phone and fix your reboot issue myself as well...just so I don't have to keep hearing about how VZW owes u retribution. And how crappy the tbolt is. You will be more than happy with the capability of your new Rom compared to stock as well.

ridin the lightning

ziggy484

Reaction score
I would gladly root your phone and fix your reboot issue myself as well...just so I don't have to keep hearing about how VZW owes u retribution. And how crappy the tbolt is. You will be more than happy with the capability of your new Rom compared to stock as well.

ridin the lightning
You guys are being WAY too nice. He simply wants to complain, he won't even try the replacement phone that is offered to him because it is "refurbished"... I can't wait to hear his snyde answer to guys trying to help him.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Those that buy their device have a right to be upset if it does not peform like they feel it should. That is why I recommend users try the device out at the store and actively research the device with in the 15 days. The tbolt is a good device but for a lot of the issues to be fixed it requires root access right now. Some people do not want to jailbreak their device and they should not have to for it to work. Those that bought the device for the purpose of rooting have no problem because they no the solution is in a rom. With that said there is no need to go back and forth demanding a user root. If they do not want their device rooted and are not satisfied with the thunderbolt they are within their rights and should see about another device. If you can provide help to the users than do so but the answer to the problem should not be to root. That is the problem with our community now is that people are rooting with out the knowledge or desire to but doing so just to fix problems the oem should have fixed prior to release. This can result in many dangers from bricks and not understanding about superuser permissions and what apps and services you should and should not give super user permission to.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am reopening the thread. Please keep it civil. This thread will be monitored.

sent from droidforums app

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had someone ask me about the tbolt situation and here is what I would suggest. Call VZW and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain how upset you are about the ota and ask for a fix or a different device. Rooting is not a solution to a fix and never should be, its for those who like to tinker.

tc3

Reaction score

ridin the lightning
You guys are being WAY too nice. He simply wants to complain, he won't even try the replacement phone that is offered to him because it is "refurbished"... I can't wait to hear his snyde answer to guys trying to help him.

On on my 3rd phone and they only seem to get worse.

So yes...if they keep sending out phones that have the same problems or worse...then the should refund you or let u pick another device of the same amount you spent.

Last edited:

rbw62

Reaction score
Mine is a brand new TB. No issues with the update.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I had someone ask me about the tbolt situation and here is what I would suggest. Call VZW and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain how upset you are about the ota and ask for a fix or a different device. Rooting is not a solution to a fix and never should be, its for those who like to tinker.

Agreed. Which is why these complaints are falling on deaf ears on this forum. Unless I am asked to sign a petition there is nothing I can do to correct another's experience with VZW. Talk to the right people.

Sure everyone is within their right to be upset about the product that isn't performing to their expectation....on the otherhand going to a forum of tbolt users and owners persisting how crappy the phone is in multiple threads on multiple occasions and demanding to us forum members that Verizon owes them is what many forum moderators consider trolling.

Should users HAVE to root to fix their issue in the meantime...absolutely not. Should users post that Verizon intentionally and knowingly pushed a faulty ota that caused reboot without confirmation...absolutely not.

Is it helpful for us experienced users to suggest the method that is the solution to ones problems and headaches...yes...that is what we call helping..and why we frequent the forum. Will everyone take advice that many have partake with positive results...certainly not. Everyone is entitled to ignore advice and continue with status quo...but should expect to be told to stop complaining when willfully choosing to NOT follow that solution.

I'm also willing to bet that a customer that approaches a VZW rep with an attitude displayed in this thread will receive nothing more than a refurb. Being polite even though you are frustrated with your product will win people over and make them more willing to help. Making demands of them...and putting down their business aloud will not win any battles.

ridin the lightning

Last edited:

ziggy484

Reaction score

Agreed. Which is why these complaints are falling on deaf ears on this forum. Unless I am asked to sign a petition there is nothing I can do to correct another's experience with VZW. Talk to the right people.

Sure everyone is within their right to be upset about the product that isn't performing to their expectation....on the otherhand going to a forum of tbolt users and owners persisting how crappy the phone is in multiple threads on multiple occasions and demanding to us forum members that Verizon owes them is what many forum moderators consider trolling.

Should users HAVE to root to fix their issue in the meantime...absolutely not. Should users post that Verizon intentionally and knowingly pushed a faulty ota that caused reboot without confirmation...absolutely not.

Is it helpful for us experienced users to suggest the method that is the solution to ones problems and headaches...yes...that is what we call helping..and why we frequent the forum. Will everyone take advice that many have partake with positive results...certainly not. Everyone is entitled to ignore advice and continue with status quo...but should expect to be told to stop complaining when willfully choosing to NOT follow that solution.

I'm also willing to bet that a customer that approaches a VZW rep with an attitude displayed in this thread will receive nothing more than a refurb. Being polite even though you are frustrated with your product will win people over and make them more willing to help. Making demands of them...and putting down their business aloud will not win any battles.

ridin the lightning

does it sound more interesting when the poster asks himself questions, then answers those questions... Yes definitely

crg31953

Reaction score
I called Friday and a CR had me factory reset the phone,a fterwards it still randomly rebooted. I called them back today and they're sending me a replacement. I'll update when I get it (should only be a day or two).

PS. They said to use the 'same battery'. Anyone else hear this? Are they sending replacements without batteries?
They're sending you a Certified Like New Replacement

You're not getting a brand new phone. You're getting one that someone else already had problems with and returned. Verizon just factory resets and sends back out.

You won't be pleased with your replacement.

There is a difference between certified pre-owned and certified like new. Certified like new are test phones pulled from an assembly line, test only, no previous owner!
Just an FYI.

Lucas5

Reaction score
i got mine on launch day and it did have the problem with rebooting randomly but that was after it got that OTA update. i rooted my phone and manually downgraded the radio firmware. since then, i haven't had any random reboots, but i still experience sporadic drops in data (both 3g and 4g).

my phone is rooted and running the way i want it so i would rather live with the occasional drop in data than chance it with another phone. i'm sure that eventually either verizon and/or htc will produce and effective/permanent fix.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

ridin the lightning

does it sound more interesting when the poster asks himself questions, then answers those questions... Yes definitely

Interesting!?!?

Added as humor fail on failblog.org

ridin the lightning