Stock Thunderbolt rebooting randomly

aymdoggydog

Reaction score
Replacement Snafu

I received my replacement Thunderbolt today.
I noticed right away that the back cover isn't fit flush with the phone. This also means, I'm stuck in 1X, not 4G or even 3G as it has to fit snugly for the antennae to work correctly. This is not what I've paid for. Just in checking, I tried the replacement back cover on my old Thunderbolt and that fit perfectly. This means, it's not the cover that's wrong, it's the phone. No, I don't have a extended battery, this is the stock battery.
What made me initially chuckle is that the box my replacement TB came in, said that this has been checked for quality control.
I called up Verizon and spoke with a tech. He told me that they would send me out another back. I explained again, it's not the back it's the body of the phone that doesn't align. Even the power button is off kilter. Both backs fit perfectly on my original phone. It's the replacement phone that is having the issue. Why am I having to deal with yet another issue on a phone that is only a couple of months old, if that? I have been a customer for over 10 years and have always GLOWED about Verizon, their customer service and quality of product. My boyfriend and I always disagree on this, he is all about Sprint and I've always been all about Verizon due to the quality of phone and customer service.
I asked to speak with the techs supervisor as I don't feel that I should have to get another USED replacement phone when this replacement phone won't even work. where is the quality control? Supervisor Rick, talked over me when I was trying to tell him about the trouble shooting I went through on the initial phone and how wonderful and helpful Edward had been. I explained that this isn't acceptable. Why can't they replace this with a new one, as obviously the used replacement can't work. How can I trust a 2nd USED phone to work correctly(or 3rd phone)? Of course, it doesn't matter that they aren't making me feel like a valued customer. Since they can't deliver a product that works correctly, it would be me that would have to pay a $350 to cancel. Believe me, I would never ever have asked about canceling this contract if I felt that Rick was listening and truly wanting to make this work. Make his customer happy. I don't trust the USED ones anymore and now I will be stuck with this contract for another 2 years while being unhappy with the service and treatment I received from Rick.
So, now I will sit here for 2 days with an expensive phone that is only giving me 1x. I will have to go through the whole transfer of contact, apps and settings again. This whole experience has tarnished my view of Verizon. After my 2 year contract is up, I will be switching and getting on a family plan with another company. I'm sorry I'm venting but, I figured it would be best to explain to others what can happen, should you have issues with your phone.

WavelandAve

Reaction score
Yeah just got my TB yesterday and it updated and I've had 2 random reboots. I know a fix is being worked on so I'm not that upset yet. I'm not gonna complain just to get a refurb. I have a new phone and I plan on keeping it.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

I'm with you, I've had mine around a month. There is no way I'm going to send this in for some refurb.

Sent from my Thundereboot

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Merged duplicate threads. This thread will be for all random reboot issues or concerns.

etx_droid

Reaction score
I haven't had any reboots since yesterday. There's a theory going around that the handoff between towers is causing the reboots.

I haven't traveled anywhere since yesterday...I live only a mile away from where I work. I'm willing to bet I've been on the same tower this whole time. Just a thought for everyone!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Talked to a vzw rep and apparently htc is still working on a fix. So as a customer if you are unhappy and do not want to wait any longer I would call, respectfully, and demand another device (ie samsung charge) or your money back and wait for the bionic.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My phone just started doing reboots a week ago

Sent from my Thunderbolt paperweight

if you dont want to wait for the fix, which is understood, then you have a right to demand a device that works. No matter what they tell you a factory reset may be a temporary fix but the issue is in the software and you should not have to take a clnr for an ota that vzw allowed to be pushed even after the reports from testers of random reboots.

WavelandAve

Reaction score
My phone just started doing reboots a week ago

Sent from my Thunderbolt paperweight

if you dont want to wait for the fix, which is understood, then you have a right to demand a device that works. No matter what they tell you a factory reset may be a temporary fix but the issue is in the software and you should not have to take a clnr for an ota that vzw allowed to be pushed even after the reports from testers of random reboots.

The rep today installed juice defender & the 4G app. Told me that should resolve it, I said see you tomorrow. I asked about a different phone & was told I'd have to pay full retail since Im over the 14 days.

Sent from my thundereboot

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Don't go into the stores about this its a waste of time. Call 611 and ask to speak to.a.supervisor and explain how unhappy you are that you paid money for a 4 g device with software issues that VZW is dragging their feet on.

sent from droidforums app

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Make sure you tell them you already did a factory reset and all the fixes told to you by a rep. Personally I am running a Rom so it don't bother me but I am disappointed in how HTC and vzw is handling the tbolt issue. Motorola fumbled the ball with the locked bootloader and now HTC is fumbling with software issues.

sent from droidforums app

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
ok well ive posted above (someplace?) so this is an update.
so i called verizon taday because i was a little worried about the two reboots ive noticed although i could of had more? so i got a service tech dude. wait let me start by saying i am rooted and i did install the leaked ruu update before i rooted i am running bams remix. well i talked to a tech dude and he had me check the soft (menu>settings>about phone>software) and he asked about what version software i was on (1.13.605.7) and he said "ok you have the update 1.13 thats good" so he had me do an app and contact back up (people/contacts>menu>import/export>export to sd>phone then repeat for google) then i went and did a factory reset (menu>settings>sd & phone>factory data reset). then it reboots and and he said that should fix the random reboots and if not then they will replace the phone with a "new" one. in other words a refurb one. he also added that by doing it thru verizon its in the system with the issue so if i notice the reboots again thats when i will receive my new phone. hope this info helps anyone out. and no i did not disclose that i was rooted but if it starts to reboot again i will unroot at that time and call them back. but i need to set it back up to my liking again.

well here is an update to my update.
well since last posting ive had two more reboots . both were either leaving a 3g area and entering a 4g area or vice versa. so i called verizon and got transfered to tech support. i talk to a nice fellow named joshua and he explained to me that the random reboots on some devices is caused from the power spike from entering a 4g area from a 3g area. since in 3g your getting less than a gig of info or power(?) and when you enter the 4g area it jumps to close to 12 gigs (WOW!) and its that sudden spike that some devices cant handle and the built in fail safes kick in and reboot the device. so he is sending me out a new (refurb) phone. so i asked since it is a refurb device what happens if it starts to act up again and he responded then call us back and at that time we will replace it with a new one or see what we can do to fix the situation. oh i also asked if the new (refurb) phone was gonna be alright and he said it should although since each device is different theres no way of telling if it is.

so i will wait and see ill have the phone tommorow no charge to me. now i need to unroot my current phone.

but i would advise if you are having reboots then call tech support let them put you in the system then if it still happens then just call and get a replacment device.

bob

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ok well ive posted above (someplace?) so this is an update.
so i called verizon taday because i was a little worried about the two reboots ive noticed although i could of had more? so i got a service tech dude. wait let me start by saying i am rooted and i did install the leaked ruu update before i rooted i am running bams remix. well i talked to a tech dude and he had me check the soft (menu>settings>about phone>software) and he asked about what version software i was on (1.13.605.7) and he said "ok you have the update 1.13 thats good" so he had me do an app and contact back up (people/contacts>menu>import/export>export to sd>phone then repeat for google) then i went and did a factory reset (menu>settings>sd & phone>factory data reset). then it reboots and and he said that should fix the random reboots and if not then they will replace the phone with a "new" one. in other words a refurb one. he also added that by doing it thru verizon its in the system with the issue so if i notice the reboots again thats when i will receive my new phone. hope this info helps anyone out. and no i did not disclose that i was rooted but if it starts to reboot again i will unroot at that time and call them back. but i need to set it back up to my liking again.

well here is an update to my update.
well since last posting ive had two more reboots . both were either leaving a 3g area and entering a 4g area or vice versa. so i called verizon and got transfered to tech support. i talk to a nice fellow named joshua and he explained to me that the random reboots on some devices is caused from the power spike from entering a 4g area from a 3g area. since in 3g your getting less than a gig of info or power(?) and when you enter the 4g area it jumps to close to 12 gigs (WOW!) and its that sudden spike that some devices cant handle and the built in fail safes kick in and reboot the device. so he is sending me out a new (refurb) phone. so i asked since it is a refurb device what happens if it starts to act up again and he responded then call us back and at that time we will replace it with a new one or see what we can do to fix the situation. oh i also asked if the new (refurb) phone was gonna be alright and he said it should although since each device is different theres no way of telling if it is.

so i will wait and see ill have the phone tommorow no charge to me. now i need to unroot my current phone.

but i would advise if you are having reboots then call tech support let them put you in the system then if it still happens then just call and get a replacment device.

bob

The refurb will do the same thing the reason they have refurbs is because basically they are taking someone elses device with the reboot problem and sending it to you and vice verse. SO here is what I suggest. If you want to wait for the fix keep your device you have if you dont feel like going through the run around demand a supervisor and ask for an immediate fix or a different device because its not your fault vzw allowed bad software to be put on your device and for 100+ a month you deserve better than the run around treatment.

Element Box

Reaction score
I got my phone on launch day. I had random reboots, but mostly overheating. And I couldn't receive txts for a whole day. A hard reset fixed that. But it was annoying, when it got hot and shut off again. Went in to complain, they replaced my battery with an extended one for free. Works perfectly now even with the update... Shockingly enough. I do have the option to get another phone though

DroidAx

Reaction score
So i hear there may be a fix comming in mid june for the reboot isdue. My thought is if you contact the better business burea then you are 100% in control of the out come. If every states bbb was calling vzw i think they may re-think there refurb policy. Forims are only stress release with helpfull knowledge. Just take action. Ill wait till end of june for there fix and if not or if it reboots too many more times then off with there heads.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Beardface

Reaction score
The thing that frustrates me the most about this is that up until the May OTA, reboots was not an issue AT ALL on this device. The only thing people really had a problem with was the battery life, and HTC/Verizon figured it out that the 4G/3G was not handing off properly and was draining the battery in doing so.

So they came out with an OTA that was supposed to do the following:

Fix GPS
Fix the Radio
Fix My Verizon
Other minor fixes.

And what happened? GPS? Yes and no. It fixed it, but for a lot of the users, we had to do the fix to get it to lock ourselves. It was not dealt with properly in the update. My Verizon? Still doesn't work. Fixing the radios? OK, yeah, the handoff is better now, but now the word out of Verizon is that the 4G/3G handoff is causing the rebooting problems. So they fixed one minor problem and created a huge one instead.

Its incredible that they could make a phone WORSE with an update with no way for us to go back to the previous version. And if you don't want to wait for the fix, the only way to cure reboots once they start is to either do a factory reset or root the device and void your warranty. And for those who haven't rooted, you won't see a fix for 2 months after the problems started. This, on Verizon's first major device since moving the return timeframe from 30 days to 14, and eliminating the Early Renewal policy. Unbelievable.