Stock Thunderbolt rebooting randomly

adalvare

Reaction score
I have a stock Thunderbolt that reboots itself around 4-6 times a day. I have around 200 apps, extended battery on the phone. Does any one have an idea as to why this would happen. It also has days where the battery lasts all day and others where it sucks out 25% before I get to work. Any help would be appreciated.

nateatlarge

Reaction score
HTC Thunderbolt rebooting.

I have had the same issues with my HTC Thunderbolt as well. I contacted verizon via phone, they are very aware of this issue and they told me to hang in there. I have had my phone replaced, my sim card replaced, and my SD Card replaced.

This is what verizon and HTC stated..

I understand how important it is for your Thunderbolt to function properly and I apologize that you have been experiencing the rebooting of the device since the update. HTC and Verizon are aware of this issue and will be happy to assist you.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Thunderbolt owners working together to reduce random reboots

There are too many of us posting comments about all the random reboots we are experiencing since the OTA update, yet nobody is really explaining what they were doing before the reboot. I'm thinking if we work together we can piece together what's driving our phones to reboot based on what we are doing right before it happens. Hopefully we can at least reduce the amount of reboots if not eliminate them altogether. This may also give HTC some ideas if they haven't already identified the root cause.

I'm proposing a template to minimize the amount of time spent reading through the posts.

proposed template

1. How many reboots have you experienced since the OTA?

2. How many times a day does your phone randomly reboot?

3. What were you doing prior to the reboot?

4. Is your phone setup to automatically search for a LTE signal automatically (CMDA + LTE/EvDo auto) or do you have it set for 3G/1x only (CDMA auto(PRL))? If you aren't sure then you are on the default setting, which is the first option.

5. Suggestions?

6. What city and state are you experiencing your random reboots in, if any?

7. Are you experiencing random reboots over WiFi, 3G and/or LTE?

8. What is your baseband version? Located under about phone and then software information.

Last edited:

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I've read through everybody's feedback regarding the random reboots. Some people have more than 5 a day, some only 2 to 3, while others may have been fortunate enough to experience 1 or none. I can't seem to put together any similarities in the information for those with greater than 5 reboots a day to those who have only had one or none. I PM'd people who get a lot of random reboots daily and others who have only had one or none since the OTA and no type of pattern emerged that could lead me to a fix that could least reduce the frequency. So at this point I've concluded that it's not user error related meaning we aren't contributing through user setting and/or applications to what is causing the reboots. So I decided to reach out to HTC via email to see what their front line tech support had to say regarding the issue and this is what they had to say below.

Dear Larry,
I understand you would like to know the cause of some Thunderbolt devices rebooting after the OTA. Unfortunately I do not know a direct answer to that question. If someone's device reboots on them after a factory data reset we have been working with customers to get a replacement device through Verizon or to get service under HTC's warranty.
While I could make educated guesses, they would simply be speculation and I could be entirely wrong and I wish to avoid providing you with inaccurate information. I hope you understand I am not trying to dodge the question.

I'm going to try and get a better response tomorrow by giving HTC tech support a call. If the front line tech support rep can't give me a better answer, then I will ask to be transferred to a higher level of tech support that could further assist me. I will update my post with what they have to say.

After some searching, I ran into this post, that may help shed some light on what we can test to see if it makes a difference and post what we discover. http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-test-phone-document-ota-update-problems.html

Last edited:

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
I have been having Reboots for over a week with too many to remember. The amount per day I can not say for certain because of my sleeping hours but while awake I average 4-6 per awake hours. It has rebooted while I do all activities. Text, email, web surfing, music etc. Sorry it isn't easier to narrow down.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

jnashr

Reaction score
1. Too many to count.
2. Usually I observe an average of 3....no telling how many times when it is out of sight.
3. It is completely random (reboot while:text, call, web, sleep, etc)
4. Suggestions....yeah, fix the OTA update...lol.

Today I went to turn bluetooth off, left the phone, came back and the phone was off. The phone would not power on until after I pulled the battery.

Last edited:

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score

The first one happened while my phone was asleep, so I don't know what the phone was doing in the background. I just happen to glance over and noticed it rebooting.
The second one happend when I was responding to a message in the facebook application.

4. 4. Is your phone setup to automatically search for a LTE signal automatically (CMDA + LTE/EvDo auto) or do you have it set for 3G/1x only (CDMA auto(PRL))? If you aren't sure then you are on the default setting, which is the first option.
CDMA auto (PRL) since I don't live in a LTE area as of yet.

5. Suggestions?
New working theory, but I have to track down a rooted user who was experiencing random reboots until he switch his basebands, claiming that his random reboots stopped.

Hesperia, CA about 1 hour outside of Los Angeles

I think my two reboot have only occurred over 3G

8. What is your baseband version? Located under about phone and then software information.
1.16.00.0402w_1

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
2 of mine in 3 g and 1 on LTE.

ridin the lightning

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
1. How many reboots have you experienced since the OTA? (although it was the leaked ota)

the first time i noticed it was just sitting there in sleep mode the it rebooted. the second time happened today i had it plugged in to the car charger and i noticed a white light and i looked over and it was rebooting?

4. 4. Is your phone setup to automatically search for a LTE signal automatically (CMDA + LTE/EvDo auto) or do you have it set for 3G/1x only (CDMA auto(PRL))? If you aren't sure then you are on the default setting, which is the first option.
CDMA auto (PRL) since I don't live in a LTE area as of yet. but i work in a lte area so i havent set it to 3g/1x.

5. Suggestions?
yep fix the OTA. or dont send out an OTA unless its known to make the devices work the way they say it should work.

I'm not an expert but i think it has something to do with have 4G and 3G combined on one device. maybe its because its switching between the two causes it to reboot becaue they are so differewnt that they dont play well together. and htc and verizon have no idea as to why and they are just throwing code at it hoping that they get lucky. but honestly its the worst phone ever i think but im stuck for two years. so ill live with it eventualy they will fix it or say ole well thats the best we can do and they will move on.
im surprised HTC would put it out seeing the problems since they seem to be the company that puts devices out that last longer than the rest with fewer updates i mean look at the evo 4g. no problems what so ever and they are practicaly the same device?

bob

Filosophic1

Reaction score
1. Approximately two to three dozen or so reboots after the official OTA update. Running totally stock, no root.

2. Phone will reboot 4 or 5 times a day.

3. It varies...sometimes I will be playing a game, other times am using my mobile hotspot (when it will stay connected), and sometimes it will reboot just sitting there. Plugged in or not plugged in, it doesn't matter.

4. Phone is set to CDMA auto (prl)

5. No suggestions as to what will fix this phone as I've done the master reset, battery pulls, etc. with no discernible effect on the phone rebooting.

js05sierrahd

Reaction score
I would say on average 1-3 per day (depends on my location-see below)

A bunch, and it really depends on my location. I installed the OTA the day it came out (I think the 12th) and while at work it will reboot multiple times during the day (Mon-Thurs 7:30 AM-6:00 PM). When I get home it may reboot 0-2 times (Mon-Thurs 6:30 PM-6:30AM) Friday-Monday morning (at home/in my town) maybe 1-3 reboots during the entire weekend (Northern NJ)

Typically either listening to SiriusXM or Pandora or nothing

4. Is your phone setup to automatically search for a LTE signal automatically (CMDA + LTE/EvDo auto) or do you have it set for 3G/1x only (CDMA auto(PRL))? If you aren't sure then you are on the default setting, which is the first option.
(CDMA auto(PRL) At work I am on the border of 3G/4G network but never get 4/G Service and at home I'm lucky to get 3G, usually 1x and I have a network extender

5. Suggestions?[/QUOTE]
COMPLAIN TO VERIZON 800.922.0204 & HTC 866.449.8358 until they admit there is an issue and FIX IT!!

Home: Highland Lakes, NJ 07422 (much less rebooting)
Work: Parsippany, NJ 07054 (location for most frequent rebooting)

Home: Service isn't great here 1x & maybe a little 3G so I use a network extender and most if not all data over WiFi
Work: 3G (WiFi not available)

Baseband version 1.16.00.0402w_1

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Let's Stay On-Topic Please

drastik211

Reaction score
I actually have not had this issue or at least mine doesn't reboot as often and I haven't caught it. That is until last night when I updated my phone's firmware. Update was successful and since have had 3 reboots that I have witnessed.

1. under 6 for sure since april 3 until 11PM Sunday night 5-22-11

2. 3 that I have witnessed since the update

3. freshly updated the phone and was texting using handsent, 2nd time I was
using weather bug, 3rd time was texting using handsent

4.set for 3G/1x only CDMA auto(PRL)

6.State: Indiana Town: Rushville

Last edited: