Stock Thunderbolt rebooting randomly

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by adalvare, May 8, 2011.

1. cueto

cueto New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So who do we contact to get a replacement device? HTC or VZW?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

2. nateatlarge

nateatlarge New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You have to contact Verizon. Even if you replace your phone it will most likely reboot. You can either hang in there till Verizon and HTC come up with a solution to the OTA error or complain every day for a week till they give you a completely different handset.

3. USAFgunner

USAFgunner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I got my new phone today and checked the firmware date. Good news is it hasn't been updated. So far so good, no reboot for 7 hours...all apps are the same as before

Sent from a phone with a kickstand

4. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hopefully its not a refurbished phone. I decided to keep mine and live with a reboot or two rather than trade for a refurb. I'm not paying 250 for a refurb

ridin the lightning

5. Kimberlee

Kimberlee New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1. How many reboots have you experienced since the OTA? 4 to 5 times per day

2. How many times a day does your phone randomly reboot? 4 to 5 times per day

3. What were you doing prior to the reboot? Usually listening to music (MP3s using WinAmp, Mixzing, or PlayerPro and also when listening to streaming radio such as Pandora and Slacker). It's also happened when I received an incoming call, rebooting before I was able to pick it up, and later when I tried to call VoiceMail.

4. Is your phone setup to automatically search for a LTE signal automatically (CMDA + LTE/EvDo auto) or do you have it set for 3G/1x only (CDMA auto(PRL))? If you aren't sure then you are on the default setting, which is the first option. Set up to automatically search for an LTE signal, but I live in an area that is only 3G. *Edit: I have now set my phone specifically to 3G only (in phone information) to see if it makes a difference and am testing it out.

5. Suggestions? I've tried pulling the battery as many have suggested (did that last night), and did not experience one reboot all morning at work, but after lunch I was back to multiple reboots again). I honestly think it's tied to a connection between the towers that need updated and the recent firmware upgrade (I've come across a lot of posts online regarding this). I've also tried flushing the cache files on my phone, in case the problem was linked to an app or corrupt file. Prior to this update my Thunderbolt never once rebooted while listening to music, whether it be at work or at home. At work, I listen to music (both MP3s and streaming audio/radio) for about 8 hours a day. No problems till this firmware update. It's been a nightmare since then.

6. What city and state are you experiencing your random reboots in, if any? Northwest Ohio

7. Are you experiencing random reboots over WiFi, 3G and/or LTE? It has ALWAYS happened when I was on 3G (4G is not yet available in my area). It has only happened so far at work, as at home I'm usually using Wifi. Testing out 3G at home right now just to check to see if there's a pattern.

8. What is your baseband version? Located under about phone and then software information. 1.16.00.0402w_1

#29 Kimberlee, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  6. USAFgunner

USAFgunner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah its a refurbished but its not like you could tell other than that the packaging says so...to me the trade off was worth it, no reboots yet :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

7. batonrouge

batonrouge New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thunderbolt rebooting, dropping internet

Got my new Thunderbolt May 9, it started rebooting and dropping the 3G connection Sunday May 22 and must be restarted sometimes twice to get connected. Consistent with my bad luck with phones, it started doing it right at the end of my 14 day return-period. Reburb replacement on it's way. I'm suspecting HTC's hardware is the culprit here and not the update since it did this before the update. My EVO4G (Sprint) did exactly the same thing. And I agree that the replacement phone will probably do the same and I WIL keep calling until I can possibly get a different unit...timed with a Bionic release would sweet... slim chance there though :(

8. Dedic761

Dedic761 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fed up with T-Bolt restarting... My Solution.

I called verizon this morning after having my T-Bolt for 13 days now and complained about the restarting issue that seems to be common. About 2 minutes later they came back and said they are sending me a brand new (not a fru) T-Bolt next day. He also said that this issue will be no longer on my new replacement phone. I also talked about the battery life with him, even though since the update on 5-20-11 my battery life is much better (with the help of A.T.K. Pro and Juice Defender).

Hope this sheds some light for other T-Bolt owners.

-Nick

9. jseah

jseah Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
  10. gary73

gary73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Probably out of refurbished

11. dsciara

dsciara New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    +1

12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Did you guys read the part where he said that they are sending him a brand new, not refurb?

OP, when your new phone arrives make sure you are not running any virus protection or task killers. I've heard about this problem with TB but not everybody has this issue. Good luck.

Search tags for this page
htc thunderbolt reboot
htc thunderbolt rebooting itself

htc thunderbolt rebooting on its own

htc thunderbolt reboots itself
thunderbolt rebooting
thunderbolt rebooting itself
thunderbolt reboots itself
thunderbolt resets itself

thunderbolt restarting on its own

thunderbolt restarts randomly