Stock Thunderbolt rebooting randomly

martianspy

Reaction score
1. How many reboots have you experienced since the OTA?
About 6 that i have noticed

2. How many times a day does your phone randomly reboot?
1-3 times a day that observe, although it could be more, The latest was around 11:10AM EST today (May 23)

3. What were you doing prior to the reboot?
Like another person in this thread, it has happened while either listening to SiriusXM or Pandora

4. Is your phone setup to automatically search for a LTE signal automatically (CMDA + LTE/EvDo auto) or do you have it set for 3G/1x only (CDMA auto(PRL))? If you aren't sure then you are on the default setting, which is the first option.
CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto

5. Suggestions?[/QUOTE]
no

Edit: I have since changed my network to to
CDMA auto(PRL) and it just rebooted itself again at 11:50AM EST

Last edited:

js05sierrahd

Reaction score
Can I make the suggestion that you add a #6 to your questions

6. Location: State____ Town_______________ or Zip______

There are too many of us posting comments about all the random reboots we are experiencing since the OTA update, yet nobody is really explaining what they were doing before the reboot. I'm thinking if we work together we can piece together what's driving our phones to reboot based on what we are doing right before it happens. Hopefully we can at least reduce the amount of reboots if not eliminate them altogether. This may also give HTC some ideas if they haven't already identified the root cause.

I'm proposing a template to minimize the amount of time spent reading through the posts.

proposed template

4. Is your phone setup to automatically search for a LTE signal automatically (CMDA + LTE/EvDo auto) or do you have it set for 3G/1x only (CDMA auto(PRL))? If you aren't sure then you are on the default setting, which is the first option.

5. Suggestions?

USAFgunner

Reaction score
How many reboots have you experienced since the OTA?
4 since I started writing this!

2. How many times a day does your phone randomly reboot? About 10-15 that I notice

3. What were you doing prior to the reboot? Posting here from my tappatalk app

I did have 4g radio turned off but since I restored my phone I have to disable it again...but reboots either way. Seems like a memory drain its forcing the restart, mine will get a little slow and skittish right before reboot. Probably some junk app verizon put on there. So I guess when my new phone comes tomorrow it will be time to root and rom this thing and debloat

5. Suggestions?
Idk...i am about to punt this one

Sent from a phone with a kickstand...

nateccnn

Reaction score

Can't count...have no idea. Multiple?

Since I started keeping track, for the past 4 days, at least once each day. Probably three times in a day was the most.

In the past, when I was not keeping track...before it started bugging me, it usually did it while I was placing a call or shortly after the other party answered.

Now I am noticing it does it often when I am not paying attention. The phone might be in my pocket for several hours...I pull it out and notice it had rebooted some itme ago. I just checked my up time...12 hours 15 minutes...meaning it rebooted while plugged into the charger this morning at 3:30 am while I was sleeping. I'm betting a lot of people don't eve realize the phone is rebooting...especially those who use the stock Sense UI. I use Launcher pro so the first time I hit home or swipe the security bar it asks me which launcher I want to use...that's how I know it rebooted. So I check the uptime to confirm. If I did not have Launcher Pro it would never prompt me for a launcher and I would not know it rebooted.

Default settings

5. Suggestions?

Scream like H&&) at Vz until they acknowledge, fix it, and give us something for our frusttrations! When I drop a phone call and have to wait for the phone to finish booting up to return that call it costs me money if my competitor gets ahold of that lead while I am waiting (we use Pay Per LEad vendors on the net and they sell those leads to multiple accounts...first one to get ahold of the lead usually gets a contract).

6. Location: State_NV___ Town___Reno____________ or Zip__89502____

Nate

Last edited:

Technoman

Reaction score
Maybe one or two - not sure, but I know I have lost bluetooth connection from the phone that many times at random

Less than 1

Nothing - sitting idle - has never rebooted when I was using it

CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto

5. Suggestions?
Shoot myself or the phone? Surely I can find something less critical

6. What city and state are you experiencing your random reboots in, if any?
Dallas, TX

7. Are you experiencing random reboots over WiFi, 3G and/or LTE?
Since I am not using the phone I can only assume I am at 4g

8. What is your baseband version? Located under about phone and then software information.
1.16.00.0402w_1

js05sierrahd

Reaction score
One additional bit of info I would like to share:
So I downloaded the StabilityTest app and although I have know idea what any of the following means I can say that both times my phone has randomly rebooted the log report contained the same info below!

It looks like StabilityTest crashed unexpectedly or your device rebooted.
The following information were gathered right before the event occured:

cores: 1
bogomips: 681.57
load: 9.35

temperature: 34.0°C

# passed test runs (core 1): 33
# passed test runs (ram): 480
runtime: 01:21:02

system log:

--------- beginning of /dev/log/system
--------- beginning of /dev/log/main
E/TrafficStats( 1555): [QCTMM]tryAll index=0
E/TrafficStats( 1555): [QCTMM]tryAll index=1
E/TrafficStats( 1555): [QCTMM]tryAll index=2
E/TrafficStats( 1555): [QCTMM]tryAll index=3

(The log was about 3x as long but I cut the info to save space)

Any idea what "E/TrafficStats( 1555): [QCTMM]tryAll index=0" means??

I would say on average 1-3 per day (depends on my location-see below)

A bunch, and it really depends on my location. I installed the OTA the day it came out (I think the 12th) and while at work it will reboot multiple times during the day (Mon-Thurs 7:30 AM-6:00 PM). When I get home it may reboot 0-2 times (Mon-Thurs 6:30 PM-6:30AM) Friday-Monday morning (at home/in my town) maybe 1-3 reboots during the entire weekend (Northern NJ)

Typically either listening to SiriusXM or Pandora or nothing

(CDMA auto(PRL) At work I am on the border of 3G/4G network but never get 4/G Service and at home I'm lucky to get 3G, usually 1x and I have a network extender

5. Suggestions?
COMPLAIN TO VERIZON 800.922.0204 & HTC 866.449.8358 until they admit there is an issue and FIX IT!!

6. What city and state are you experiencing your random reboots in, if any?
Home: Highland Lakes, NJ 07422 (much less rebooting)
Work: Parsippany, NJ 07054 (location for most frequent rebooting)

7. Are you experiencing random reboots over WiFi, 3G and/or LTE?
Home: Service isn't great here 1x & maybe a little 3G so I use a network extender and most if not all data over WiFi
Work: 3G (WiFi not available)

8. What is your baseband version? Located under about phone and then software information.
Baseband version 1.16.00.0402w_1

cueto

Reaction score
I as well am experiencing this reboot issue. Very irritating! Please help soon ...

Sent from my Thunderbolt

nateatlarge

Reaction score
This is what HTC Stated to me when i contacted them...

When we first heard word of the problems, we started collecting information for tracking purposes, to determine if it was a trending issue or something happening on absolutely every phone. Fortunately it wasn't all of them. Once enough information was collected, the appropriate department began analyzing the issue to determine the cause. Along the way, it was determined that at this time, the best solution was to have the affected phones replaced. In the meantime, I suspect that the engineers (and everyone researching the issue) are working on a version of this update that won't have that negative effect. I suppose rolling out an update to the affected phones wouldn't work since they are unfortunately too busy rebooting to apply an update. Yes, though, our engineers are working on a way to get the intended parts of the update through without an unintentional reboot party. I hope that we have this straightened out for you soon, and I really do apologize that you've been put through so much frustration with this

cueto

Reaction score
So who do we contact to get a replacement device? HTC or VZW?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

nateatlarge

Reaction score
You have to contact Verizon. Even if you replace your phone it will most likely reboot. You can either hang in there till Verizon and HTC come up with a solution to the OTA error or complain every day for a week till they give you a completely different handset.

USAFgunner

Reaction score
Well I got my new phone today and checked the firmware date. Good news is it hasn't been updated. So far so good, no reboot for 7 hours...all apps are the same as before

Sent from a phone with a kickstand

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hopefully its not a refurbished phone. I decided to keep mine and live with a reboot or two rather than trade for a refurb. I'm not paying 250 for a refurb

ridin the lightning

Kimberlee

Reaction score
1. How many reboots have you experienced since the OTA? 4 to 5 times per day

2. How many times a day does your phone randomly reboot? 4 to 5 times per day

3. What were you doing prior to the reboot? Usually listening to music (MP3s using WinAmp, Mixzing, or PlayerPro and also when listening to streaming radio such as Pandora and Slacker). It's also happened when I received an incoming call, rebooting before I was able to pick it up, and later when I tried to call VoiceMail.

4. Is your phone setup to automatically search for a LTE signal automatically (CMDA + LTE/EvDo auto) or do you have it set for 3G/1x only (CDMA auto(PRL))? If you aren't sure then you are on the default setting, which is the first option. Set up to automatically search for an LTE signal, but I live in an area that is only 3G. *Edit: I have now set my phone specifically to 3G only (in phone information) to see if it makes a difference and am testing it out.

5. Suggestions? I've tried pulling the battery as many have suggested (did that last night), and did not experience one reboot all morning at work, but after lunch I was back to multiple reboots again). I honestly think it's tied to a connection between the towers that need updated and the recent firmware upgrade (I've come across a lot of posts online regarding this). I've also tried flushing the cache files on my phone, in case the problem was linked to an app or corrupt file. Prior to this update my Thunderbolt never once rebooted while listening to music, whether it be at work or at home. At work, I listen to music (both MP3s and streaming audio/radio) for about 8 hours a day. No problems till this firmware update. It's been a nightmare since then.

6. What city and state are you experiencing your random reboots in, if any? Northwest Ohio

7. Are you experiencing random reboots over WiFi, 3G and/or LTE? It has ALWAYS happened when I was on 3G (4G is not yet available in my area). It has only happened so far at work, as at home I'm usually using Wifi. Testing out 3G at home right now just to check to see if there's a pattern.

8. What is your baseband version? Located under about phone and then software information. 1.16.00.0402w_1

Last edited:

USAFgunner

Reaction score
Hopefully its not a refurbished phone. I decided to keep mine and live with a reboot or two rather than trade for a refurb. I'm not paying 250 for a refurb

ridin the lightning

Yeah its a refurbished but its not like you could tell other than that the packaging says so...to me the trade off was worth it, no reboots yet :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk