Step-By-Step DIY Boot (M) Logo with pics

KerrAvon

Reaction score
Did you remember to "reverse bytes".... it may be wrong if you don't do that. As well as make sure it's 24 bit for the size of the file to come out to 262080 bytes

I'm pretty sure I had done that. I did it last night using Photoshop and it didn't turn out good. I just re-tried here at work using Gimp and now it looks good. Maybe I did something wrong last night.

Next step, custom boot animation, then mod-ing status bar and my Trek theme will be complete.

Thanks!

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks AD!

I haven't got it yet but I'm close. I'm done blowing you up for now:)

One question. Have you found a Koush Bootstrap icon that doesn't have the checkered pattern behind it? I don't wanna do that much editing. LOL! I started on it and gave up, it's ridiculous.

Last edited:
OP
ArmyDude

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Checkered background? You mean a PNG file that has transparency? Just save it as a BMP or JPG as is..... it will remove transparency. Then open it up again ( the bmp or jpg version) and the background should be filled in. Or..... just skip and go to adding the other layer with the black background... if you know what I mean.

OP
ArmyDude

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Leaving work. Will be back on later. Just shoot that image over to me. I'll check it out.​

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cool bro, didn't think about that, your right. I'll check it out before I send it over.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well AD I've gotten one to work. I had it upside down and flipped horizontally, before I saved it as a bitmap 480x182, to get it to come out upright. I've tried a dozen others and can't get them to fit right. I'M not sure if it's Photoshop or not. Don't know why one would work.

OP
ArmyDude

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Well... not sure what to tell you. Only thing I can think is a problem when Frhed reverses the bytes. You should only have to flip it horizontally. Is the image RGB and 24 bit? Just things to look at.

Sent from my DROID X using DroidForums App

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
After taking out the first 54 bytes do you scroll all the way down and take off the extra bytes if need be? Our do you get rid of the 54, select all, reverse bytes and take them off the top? I've just been reversing last step before saving it logo.bin.

OP
ArmyDude

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Take out the first 54... then go to the END (Bottom) and remove any necessary bytes.... THEN select all and reverse the bytes.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's what I been doing. Haven't seen anyone have issues like me. Lol:) Oh well practice makes perfect. Thanks for the help AD.

p51d78th

Reaction score
Thanks for the great walk through, I just have one problem that is confusing. I created the image flipped it, saved it as 24 bit bmp. Opened it in Fhred and deleted the first 54 bytes and had exactly 262080 bytes. Reversed the bytes, saved as logo.bin and replaced the file in the zip. Flashed my phone with it and instead of the NCSU Block S in red it is in green. Any idea what im doing wrong?

Thanks

OP
ArmyDude

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Is it possible that you accidently reversed the bytes twice?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great walk through, I just have one problem that is confusing. I created the image flipped it, saved it as 24 bit bmp. Opened it in Fhred and deleted the first 54 bytes and had exactly 262080 bytes. Reversed the bytes, saved as logo.bin and replaced the file in the zip. Flashed my phone with it and instead of the NCSU Block S in red it is in green. Any idea what im doing wrong?

Thanks

I had more problems getting this to work at the beginning that I might be able to point a couple things out.

-ArmyDude could be right. Just make sure to reverse them once at the end before saving as logo.bin.

-Make sure that when you delete the 54bytes at the top that the next following numbers read "00" or "ff." 00=black and ff=white. Same goes for the bottom if you need to delete 2 more bytes to get "262080." This will make your full background black or white. Cause if you have any color running to the edge of the picture at size 480x182 it will cause red or green top and bottom.

-And last. When I first started I read the 262080 on the bottom left of the screen after I hit Control-A and scrolled down. Make sure you look at the bytes on the bottom right of screen. I have found that I always have to delete bottom 2 bytes also. But I'm weird and it could be my error:)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

p51d78th

Reaction score
I started over from scratch and it worked. :D It may have something todo with switching between my mac and my wife's xp pc.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App