Sprint Just Fired a Canon Shot at Their Competition; $60/Month Unlimited Plan

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sprint-new-single-line-plan.png

It looks like Sprint's new group/family plans weren't the only big shift they had on their agenda. The rumors suggesting their new CEO was planning to shakeup the industry might turn out to be true, depending on your point of view.

Sprint's previous announcement only detailed their new family plans, and while these were very competitive, this new announcement is strong enough it could spark a price war amongst the carriers. Sprint's massive canon shot at their competitors was the announcement of a new Unlimited Talk, Text & Data Single Line plan for only $60 per month.

Of course, there are a few caveats. (You knew there would be.) First, folks on an Unlimited Data Plan can be throttled during times of peak congestion in favor of tiered data customers. Second, if you are already a Sprint customer you can't sign up for this plan unless one of the following conditions applies to you: you have a line that is no longer under contract, you have purchased a phone using Easy Pay installment billing or you add a new line of service.

While we aren't sure this new plan will make consumers start running in droves to their nearest Sprint store, we suspect this is hot enough to catch quite a bit of attention for the Now Network. For individual users who are in cities where Sprint has a strong network infrastructure, this seems like an extremely tempting offer.

The plans will go into effect as of tomorrow (August 22nd). What do you think of Sprint's artillery strike?

Source: Sprint

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Canon?

Ill say more like a

Daisy-slingshot-p51_23587_zoom-1-.jpg

As long as their coverage continues to suck it will not matter how "great" of a deal they offer.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You'll put your eye out.. Remember that.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This might be an issue if Sprint had decent coverage. Verizon certainly isn't worried. What worries me however is Sprint jumping on the throttling bandwagon, that's not good for current Verizon unlimited users.

tap'n on my S5

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This might be an issue if Sprint had decent coverage. Verizon certainly isn't worried. What worries me however is Sprint jumping on the throttling bandwagon, that's not good for current Verizon unlimited users.

That's a good point. VZW has already announced(?) they would throttle the heavy unlimited users during peak congestion...this would only bolster any defense VZW might need to argue to the FCC

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'd switch in a heartbeat if work didn't pay for my phone. I don't think a single phone should be $90-$120....

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. VZW has already announced(?) they would throttle the heavy unlimited users during peak congestion...this would only bolster any defense VZW might need to argue to the FCC
Not unless Sprint also signed a contract stating they would in no way hinder a certain band of frequencies.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish Sprint and TMo would form a partnership, where a phone could jump between the two carriers without roaming fees, and effortlessly. THIS would be Verizon's HYPER UPPER CUT.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not unless Sprint also signed a contract stating they would in no way hinder a certain band of frequencies.

Why would Sprint do that?

TMo does (or used to) something similar with speeds slowing down after 5-10gigs of data. They all have the same basic problem - how to provide plans for heavy power users while protecting themselves against abusers who use it as a home ISP and run-up 100gigs+ a month