Sprint Officially Announces New Carrier Plans and Unlimited Guarantee

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 12, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Just a couple of days ago we shared a leaked promo pic of some new Sprint plans designed to be extra aggressive to compete directly with T-Mobile. These new plans also brought with them a special promo called "The Sprint Unlimited Guarantee." The new plans turned out to an excellent value, and this new Unlimited Guarantee is unique as well, offering those who sign up an Unlimited plan for life. The leak turned out to be accurate as Sprint made them official last night.

[​IMG]

They posted the plans and the Unlimited Guarantee. They even shared a cost breakdown to show off the savings these new plans offer. Here's a quote with a brief breakdown of the plans and the guarantee, followed by a link to the press release below that:

Source: Sprint Newsroom
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

I'm feeling a bit nostalgic, and want to offer a brief history of smartphone data plans. Of course, I have no such history stored in my head, and have no intention of looking it up. SO, I'll just say this instead:

I remember the old days where limited minutes and texts were the norm. And then we had rollover minutes and that was good. And then a miracle happened and UNLIMITED DATA became the norm. Everybody had ridiculous amounts of data, and while nobody got near the limit of unlimited, we all suspected that the "limit" was somehow 5GB and that was good. We tethered and that was good too. Some of us abused the privilege, and that wasn't so good.

But then Verizon got greedy and stopped offering the unlimited data plan, and then others followed. That was very, very sad. Many of us with our imaginary unlimited plans dug a hole and hid ourselves deep within it, to protect the sacred feeling of being able to consume as much as we wanted, even if it was still an imaginary limit.

And I began to wonder: if a smaller company got aggressive, they could try and offer a competitive unlimited plan. And if they did a good job, Verizon and AT&T would blink. And we could go back to the way things should be. Unlimited. And reasonably-priced.

Today, I am starting to think that the day of "Verizon blinking" is getting closer and closer. Fingers are crossed. I'm hopeful.

-Matt
  3. WishRyder

WishRyder New Member

Before anyone freaks out, the line that reads:
    should simply end in $110. It was copied and pasted from a site that used a small 3 to direct you to fine print that says "The Sprint Unlimited Guarantee does not apply to capped data use options."

So no, It's not a $1103 plan. Those kind of prices would only fly at Verizon.
  4. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Thanks for the typo heads up WishRyder!
  5. Caren4u2

Caren4u2 New Member

Am I understanding the $110 is shared with all the lines on the account (shared?) or is it $110 per line.
  6. gadgetrants

I'm reading it as $110 for just one line, that is:

$50 = one line
    $30 = unlimited data
    $30 = 5G mobile hotspot

Total = $110

It looks like a savings of $20, since the ala carte price for mobile hotspot is listed at $10/GB -> so you get 5GB for $30 instead of for $50.

My guess is that additional lines would add as described, e.g., $40 for the second line plus $30 for data on the second line, so it would then be $110 + $70 = $180 for two lines w/unlimited data plus 5G hotspot. If my math is correct (which it usually isn't), the so-called All-In plan doesn't sound all-that.

EDIT: I took a closer look at the description and didn't see an indication that anything was shared -- note that minutes and texts are unlimited for all versions of the plan, and data says "per line" under each option.

-Matt
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  7. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

Sounds like the big cell companies have gimmicks but in the end their all about the same price give or take, but none of them have coverage that verizon has, so vzw still has us by the b@lls.

sent from a note yee
  8. gadgetrants

I'm probably splitting hairs (since like you, Verizon has me by the cojones) but: a no-questions-asked unlimited data plan sounds pretty good, compared to the "we'll-hunt-you-down-and-destroy-you" attitude that Verizon has toward their grandfathered unlimited customers. I don't know about you, but I'm ALWAYS looking over my shoulder. LOL Paranoid and delusional, thanks to Verizon.

-Matt
  9. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

I hear ya, I went in and added a line to get my note 2, the guy said I had an update on my line, I said I know and I want to keep unlimited, so he looked up my line and was astonished the I used 89 gigs, he added a line ,and I switch it the next day to my line and dropped the data plan from the new line:), ps3 online eats date!

sent from a note yee
  10. gadgetrants

89 gigggggggggggggs?!?!?!?!?! The first thought that entered my head was "can I blackmail you with that?" and then the second was, "apparently they already know!" Anyway, nice job on the switcheroo move. I'm so inspired every time I hear that maneuver. Gonna try it soon.

-Matt
  11. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

I've done it 3 times thats why we have 5 line, and only 2 smartphones, I went as high as 120 gigs last year watching 10 seasons of stargate sg1 on netflix and ps3 online every night, my wife didn't like me that month.

sent from a note yee
  12. KaChow

KaChow Guest

An Unlimited-No Questions Asked plan is a wonderful thing and only Sprint can offer something like that. But, ask yourselves what is the value of Unlimited if the Quality is not there. I left my Everything Unlimited plan because of this, for me Sprint has the worst coverage and I noticed that everywhere I went. This is not the case with Verizon. While, I too remember Verizons Unlimited data and even the Blackberry plans ;) the coverage provided is far superior. I guess in the scheme of it while you pay more to get less to receive the best with Verizon or can get more pay less for less reliable overall service. In the end what costs more not being able to use your device because of no service or excessive use of a more expensive limited carrier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  13. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

Put me down for the excessive use:)

sent from a note yee
  14. Dalvik_Cache

Dalvik_Cache DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Now if only they could promise unlimited coverage... LOL!
  15. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yup as always...its the coverage man, the coverage. Kids mother has been thru Sprint, T Mobile, Boost...and they all suck for her. Her only options are AT&T and Verizon.....AT&T might be her best bet as Verizon is gonna be too much for her. Maybe we can find a steller phone on Sprint that works good as a phone.

Some might think ppl that talk on the phone is a dying breed...but when it comes to important things, if you have kids....if that cell phone is the only phone in the house....service, coverage, a reliable phone is a matter of life n death. Still trying to talk her into getting a house phone, but I think most phones now connect to cable modems? Hope not...
  16. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I was one who always shook my head at people who really needed more than 2 gigs...

Now, I don't NEED more (I have unlimited), but I'm digging Google Currents because it downloads daily offline content of a lot of popular blogs/sites. That app alone has run-up nearly 1 gig in a week. Granted, you can set to d/l on wifi only but when you travel you might not have wifi.

Love the Google Currents app, by the way. Now I always have something to read on the plane or subway. Google News & Weather has also done about 1/4 gig in a week (I'm thinking maybe it's the images). That one I don't believe you can set to sync on wifi only.
  17. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

Once they roll out a real network, then I am there, but till then, they can sell unlimited all they want, with no network to back up their plans, what is the use anyways. Another desperate move by Sprint to get customers, same as T-Mobile.
  18. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

I also use Google Currents app, and yes it is fantastic, but it does NOT use 1 gig in a week to upload new content, plus there is no reason to not have it set to only upload new content over wifi, and when the need arises that there is no wifi available, all you have to do is refresh the app while on LTE, or set it to upload content wile on LTE, 1 Gig a week to load new content, yea OK, LOL.
  19. KaChow

KaChow Guest

It is all about the coverage. I went through 3 AirRaves femtocells, with the last one was free with no charge for monthly service complementary from Sprint, which even with added coverage support I could only get 3 bars standing next to it in my house and only 1 bar in the kitchen. This was unacceptable living 15 minutes from Philly. While the security blanket of EVERYTHING Unlimited including HotSpot it was over-priced for what it was.

While I kept it out with apps like Roam Control and Verizon prl swaps, it was too much of a hassle. For those that can benefit from Sprint then all the power to you. While Sprint can guarantee UNLIMITED they cannot guarantee COVERAGE. If Sprint really wanted to set the stage with their plans, the plan should be UNLIMITED NO CONTRACTS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  20. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Well, cachemate clears my cache nightly, so that might be why. 1gig is what my Data usage monitor said for the week. I have probably 15-20 sources on there that I follow.

I have unlimited data, so it updates daily wherever I am, whether it's wifi or LTE. Not sure how to set it to auto-refresh a certain time of day.
Search tags for this page

free sprint phones for existing customers

grandfathered 3g sprint
sprint free phones for existing customers
sprint worst carrier