SplashID

hwortman

Reaction score
I like the idea of being able to securely store passwords, bank a/c numbers, combinations etc.:) The SplashID works great on my Droid but I have never been able to get the desktop counterpart to correctly install.:mad: I have conversed with the helpline via email and have tried all of their suggestions but to no avail.:icon_eek: The trial period has expired and I still have no success.

Has anyone else used this app with positive results? Is there another app that will allow me to backup on my desktop and sync between the two platforms?

RichStevenson

Reaction score
Never tried SplashID but use Keeper and it sync with my laptop over wifi and 3G. They charge for the pc app though. I think it was $20.

billyk

Reaction score
This is a favorite subject of mine!

I got my Droid over a week ago, and getting a password safe was my #1 priority. I did some digging and SplashID rose to the top of the list, so I tried it with it's trial version and then bought it.

First off, my previous password safe was eWallet, and I had a rude awakening that eWallet DOES NOT have any useful export functionality. It exports a non-delimited txt file which is almost useless. But that's not Splash Data's fault.

Next, on to Splash Data's product. While I am OK paying for this software, and it appears to be at/near the top of the heap for this type of product, it's really not ready for prime-time. The PC software is unstable, simple functions such as "Delete" don't work reliably, and customizing fields for each type of "card" is half-baked - doesn't really work. I am in the software business and can say that I don't recall such a poorly developed piece of commercial software being released on the market.

Why am I OK with letting them keep my money? The primary functions, such as creating a record, displaying info, and sync'ing work. I trust that they will fix the very obvious bugs (I gave them a list!) and then I think they will have a commercially-viable, stable product.

Regarding sync'ing, I just followed their instructions and it works. I only works as of now via wifi, so you have to make sure your wifi is set to "On" on the Droid, that the app is running on your PC, and that your PC is currently connected to your wifi net. Be sure to get the right IP info identifying your PC. I find the sync to be reliable and extremely fast.

Hope this helps!

Guurzak

Reaction score
BioWallet has a very promising eyeprint-based security solution in the works, but it's still in beta.

fredm74

Reaction score
Same here, a password safe was definitely important for me. I think Keeper might be a good fit for me. I used to use the Memengo app on the Itunes store that was 100% flawless when using the desktop and the app on the Ipod Touch. I wish Memengo was available on the Android Market. But Keeper is charging $29.99.....ummm, okay? :icon_eek:

OP
hwortman

hwortman

Reaction score
A couple of questions. Concerning Keeper. When you wish to edit the "notes" field how to you scroll the view of the field up so as to display what is already in the field.

Concerning SplashID. Can it be synced to the desktop using the usb port and connecting cable?

bbtkd

Reaction score
I use OI Safe. It is cheap, works great, integrates into MyBackup Pro - and is part of the OI suite which is mostly free. Can't be beat. It does import/export including import from Password Safe.

OP
hwortman

hwortman

Reaction score
Is there a wifi attachment that can used through a USB port? The same as a Bluetooth transmitter?

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I downloaded the 30 day desktop trial of splashid. When I ran it, it went into setup and told me to be sure I had the program running on my phone. There is no free trial for the phone, so the desktop trial is pointless. I have to buy the phone version first. Kind dumb.

billyk

Reaction score
I downloaded the 30 day desktop trial of splashid. When I ran it, it went into setup and told me to be sure I had the program running on my phone. There is no free trial for the phone, so the desktop trial is pointless. I have to buy the phone version first. Kind dumb.

Don't know if there is a free trial for the phone, but thankfully, there is a standalone version of the PC app here:

http://www.splashdata.com/splashid/d...standalone.htm

This is a good thing if you want to share a personal db between two machines.

OP
hwortman

hwortman

Reaction score
After having so much trouble with SplashID (never got it to install properly even though they emailed me today with a free offer for the desktop) I downloaded Keeper and tried it on my Droid. It worked good on the Droid so I bit the bullet and $29.95 for the desktop. No problems whatsoever : Installed easily and synced with no problems.

Comparing the two apps on the Droid, Keeper is by far the better choice.

At this point I highly reccommend the Keeper for both the Droid and the Desktop. :icon_ banana:

nighthawk700

Reaction score
FYI: Keeper Password and Data vault desktop has been lowered to $19.95. I got it last week, transferred the database from my Palm's SplashID, and have been using it since.