Palm Users Who Changed to Droid?

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
Hi, lowtech! I am a newbie in this area. I also have been using Palm for years and have a Centro now. I do use the Palm Desktop v6 in my XP Pro PC to synch with my phone. I do not use Outlook (and don't necessarily want to open that can of worms now). Would you suggest another way to transfer my Contacts and Calendar (IMPORTANT 2 items) to my new forthcoming Incredible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again.

Personally, if I had to do that, I would:

1) Investigate the possibility of syncing the Palm Desktop with Google Calendar and Contacts. (I just searched in Google for sync Palm Desktop with Google...) (Here's one way: Palm Desktop Google Calendar Synchronization )

2) Set up a basic Outlook just long enough to sync your Palm Calendar and Contacts with that. Then, sync Outlook c & c to Google... which I what I did, but I already used Outlook.

Lots of really sharp people on here - you may well get better suggestions from someone else!

Good luck!!

jcrocks

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, lowtech (should be hightech).

Do you know anyone who has had good experience with CompanionLink software? I just communicated with their CEO and actually bought the product but was dissatisfied with their sales/tech surpport. The CEO refunded my $$. I am willing to try them out if I know that their stuff works.

As far as Outlook, I know there is setup required and have used it in Corp America. But have not seen the need the use it today personally especially having the Palm Desktop. Will attempt again.

Thanks again, lowtech!

If anyone else have another suggestion out there, PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, lowtech (should be hightech).

Do you know anyone who has had good experience with CompanionLink software? I just communicated with their CEO and actually bought the product but was dissatisfied with their sales/tech surpport. The CEO refunded my $$. I am willing to try them out if I know that their stuff works.

As far as Outlook, I know there is setup required and have used it in Corp America. But have not seen the need the use it today personally especially having the Palm Desktop. Will attempt again.

Thanks again, lowtech!

If anyone else have another suggestion out there, PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

For that I would go to an active Palm forum and search on CompanionLink - you should find some experienced opions. I do not know anyone offhand who has used it - but it has been a while, so I may have forgotten my Palm details (except those that I miss, like Datebk!!)

jcrocks

Reaction score
Impressed with your helpfulness! Thanks for the prompt reply.

Will try your suggestions.

Again, much obliged.

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
Impressed with your helpfulness! Thanks for the prompt reply.

Will try your suggestions.

Again, much obliged.

More than welcome - I have long appreciated forums for the tremendous help they have given me... just passing it on! :)

Post your resuts!

nwfr

Reaction score
Calendar doesn't display contact name or company name

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just received my Droid yesterday. Like lotech, I'm converting from a P755 and I have been using Act by Sage 2010 and syncronizing via Companion Link for years with great results. I've migrated my contacts, notes, and calendar to my phone however the activities show up on the calendar without displaying the name or company name it is associated with. It just says (Meet): Sign Contract and I have to go into the actual event to see who it is with. I've heard there is an app that will take care of that but I dont think Companion Link and Deja Office (I'm using now) will do it.

jgumphress

Reaction score
Another Palm 755P convert here. The only thing I miss on the Droid is the Memo function that was built in to all Palms. You could put miles of notes in it and then creat sub-folders within the notes. I've searched the Market time and again for anything that comes close to Palm notes, and nothing comes close. Palm note was clean, simple, easy to search, and easy to read.

Anyone find any note apps that was simular to Palm?
Thanks.

alwerner

Reaction score
I missed that as well but Google Docs works almost better then Memos. You can use the native Google Docs via the Browser and/or use GDOCs which is a mobile application that allows you to have offline access to Memos.

The web version will allow for spreadsheet & PDF access.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another Palm 755P convert here. The only thing I miss on the Droid is the Memo function that was built in to all Palms. You could put miles of notes in it and then creat sub-folders within the notes. I've searched the Market time and again for anything that comes close to Palm notes, and nothing comes close. Palm note was clean, simple, easy to search, and easy to read.

Anyone find any note apps that was simular to Palm?
Thanks.

Been too long since I used a Palm device to know if the differences are significant, but I find NoteEverything (Pro) to be a very useful note taking app.

P.S. It integrates well with GDocs.

technomemorydoc

Reaction score
needing to sync from palm desktop to google calendar with a Mac

I am presently a Treo755p user and am finally giving in. I have to upgrade, thinking of waiting for Droid X. In the meantime, I am trying to sync my palm desktop with google calendar but I can't figure out how to do it on my Mac. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. BTW I currently us Datebook4. Thanks!:icon_ banana:

jgumphress

Reaction score
I am presently a Treo755p user and am finally giving in. I have to upgrade, thinking of waiting for Droid X. In the meantime, I am trying to sync my palm desktop with google calendar but I can't figure out how to do it on my Mac. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. BTW I currently us Datebook4. Thanks!:icon_ banana:

I don't know why it would be different with a Mac because I am a PC. But if you go to your Palm desktop>contacts>tools>export as .csv file and send it to Google Docs. Then you should be able to go to Google and move it to your Google account. Mine went very smoothly and even took my photos that I had associated with my contacts.

technomemorydoc

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I don't think I can export as a "csv" file. I don't see that option.

alwerner

Reaction score
I think it would be easier to export as a .VCF (single) and then import it into your Google Contact list.

InvalidUserID

Reaction score
Configuring Droid to mimic Palms buttons

Long time Palm user here (10 years, 1999-2009) now a Droid user since Dec 2009.
One thing I miss are the hard coded buttons to access applications {Calender, Memo, Tasks}

DroidScreensv2Resizedegg_ddb1c.jpg

Using Launcher Pro scrollable dock widgets I think this comes pretty close to duplicating a similar feel.
The center dock remains the same [phone, contacts, apps, email, web].
Scrolling the dock to the left, I’ve configured it similarly to a Palm. [Calender,Todo, Memo, Search]
Calendar Pad Pro - Gottodo - Note Everything Pro - Aurora Search - Gesture Search

I’ve also added swipe gestures to the Gototodo and Note Everything app.
Swiping over Gottodo opens up Gtasks. {Because it syncs to the cloud I prefer to use Gtasks as a quick memo pad.}
Swiping over Note Everything opens a shortcut to create a new textnote in Note everything.
Swiping over Aurora opens up OI Shopping list.
Swiping over the camera app (left screen) opens up Splash ID

Aurora search is configured to search the calendar only. Gesture search is configured to search contacts only.

So far this seems to work for me. I’m still looking for a good outliner/hierarchical app similar to Natara Bonsai. Any suggestions?

--------------------
[Palm devices owned: Palm III, Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Treo 90, Fossil Palm watch, Tungsten T, Treo 650]