speed up my droid?

microgiant13

Reaction score
i have the moto droid running 2.2 kernel 2.6.32-g103d848 android-build@apa26#1
i am not rooted and i did the 2.2 update myself and i have swype besides that i know nothing about how to mod my droid. i did a search on here and didnt see what i was looking for so here it goes. i see some people gettin way over 15 mflops on their phones i can only manage 9.206 is there another kernel i have to download to make it faster and how do i update it once i download it.
thankyou in advance and please ignore my ignorance

OP
M

microgiant13

Reaction score
If you want higher speed than you're getting stock you'll have to overclock and overclocking requires root.

so lets root my 2.2 send me the link and steps on how to do it and where to go lol (im aware of it voiding my warrenty i really dont care i have a droid x sitting in my room)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
This would be a lot easier if you'd looked yesterday. :)

Unfortunately, Easy Root was pulled from the market at some point today.

Okay, here goes -- I'm seeing people saying the RSDLite method of rooting works the same on 2.2 as it did on 2.1, but I can't confirm it. Needless to day that ups the ante quite a bit in the risk department, but if you're willing to take one for the team and risk it, I'm willing to help. :)

Last edited:

montyboy

Reaction score
***I was not aware this was a paid app. I do NOT wish to obtain a link. If anyone knows of a legitimate alternative way to buy EasyRoot please let me know ***

Does anyone know if there is a link to the EasyRoot that can be side loaded? The only reason I ask is because I just had my Droid replaced while on vacation and DON'T have access to a PC to get it rooted again. I am sure I can manage stock for a few more days if I have to. But why wait if I don't have to ;-)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
M

microgiant13

Reaction score
This would be a lot easier if you'd looked yesterday. :)

Unfortunately, Easy Root was pulled from the market at some point today.

Okay, here goes -- I'm seeing people saying the RSDLite method of rooting works the same on 2.2 as it did on 2.1, but I can't confirm it. Needless to day that ups the ante quite a bit in the risk department, but if you're willing to take one for the team and risk it, I'm willing to help. :)

i am listening worse come worse i just wipe it and start all over right? i am not too worried so lets play

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
It's the possibility of doing something wrong and having your phone refuse to boot that worries me. :) I just don't want to do something wrong and declare you the owner of a $600 plastic paperweight. :D

OP
M

microgiant13

Reaction score
It's the possibility of doing something wrong and having your phone refuse to boot that worries me. :) I just don't want to do something wrong and declare you the owner of a $600 plastic paperweight. :D

i will look into it more i guess, could i just save my non rooted 2.2 version and if it fails put that back on?

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm getting further reports that the RSDLite SBF flash works, which is what I suspected, but there's risk with this method.

Alright, here we go...

Step 1: go here and read the first post at least twice until it makes sense. :)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

Step 2: watch this video and follow it carefully.

Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Step 3: make a Nandroid Backup.

Boot into recovery by powering the phone down, holding down the x key, and powering the phone up. Continue holding the x key till you boot into recovery. At this point navigate SPRecovery to the backup/restore menu and make a simple nandroid backup. Once you've done this you can flash anything you want that comes in an update.zip format, be it a ROM, kernel, or theme.

Step 4: pick a ROM, any ROM.

I'd suggest either a rooted "stock" FRG01A or FRG22 ROM, or biting the bullet and going for another built-from-source ROM like CyanogenMod -- CyanogenMod is very stock-like in its look and feel, so it's a good choice if you're testing the waters. You could also download ClockworkMOD from the market and use it to do all your flashing. It's much simpler, but it also handles things differently. However, it will walk you through the installs itself.

To install under SPRecovery, follow this vid.

Video: Installing a Custom ROM Using SPRecovery | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

If it boots and you like it, make a nandroid backup.

Step 5: pick a kernel, any kernel, but not all kernels will work for you.

Every kernel has different features; ChevyNo1 has awesome ULV (Ultra-Low Voltage) kernels that many people swear by. If they're going to work for you, they'll probably work very well. He also cooks up LV and SV kernels if the ULV won't work. P3Droid has kernels that work for almost everyone, and have the added advantage (to some) of possibly clocking as low as 125Mhz for battery savings. Speaking of which, ULV will use less juice than an LV, which will use less juice than SV/MV kernels. Install in SPRecovery is the same as any other update.zip.

Step 6: flash the kernel (but not in Texas, that'll get you arrested for indecent exposure)

Follow the video listed for flashing in the ROM. It's the same process. If you get stuck in a bootloop, pull the battery, reboot into recovery, and restore your nandroid. Aren't you glad you made it now?

Step 7: install SetCPU from the market

Kinda self explanatory. Follow the on-screen instructions once you have it loaded and run from there. Be careful, go slowly, and don't be afraid to try other kernels if the one you have doesn't work so well. Just remember to nandroid backup/restore as needed.

If you need more help, let me know. I'm supposed to be working on a post-root guide for noobs, but I'm falling behind with everything that's been going on in my personal life recently. I should have it up shortly.

missrachel

Reaction score
Step 6: flash the kernel (but not in Texas, that'll get you arrested for indecent exposure)

LMFAO... hey, you are the best. What's your name, furbearingmammal? Thank you so much for being so helpful and patient..

I'm getting ready to root... gonna wait it out a few more days and see what happens before using your method here though. I have a question for you. I've been eyeballing JRummy's Pink Life Kangerade theme. I love it. Do you think that's a good ROM to use even though I am coming from FRG01B? Not sure if that matters (as you know I'm a n00b) just wondering what your thoughts were if any on the ROM. :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

LMFAO... hey, you are the best. What's your name, furbearingmammal? Thank you so much for being so helpful and patient..

I'm getting ready to root... gonna wait it out a few more days and see what happens before using your method here though. I have a question for you. I've been eyeballing JRummy's Pink Life Kangerade theme. I love it. Do you think that's a good ROM to use even though I am coming from FRG01B? Not sure if that matters (as you know I'm a n00b) just wondering what your thoughts were if any on the ROM. :)
I've heard great things about Kangerade, but never tried it myself. Coming off stock it might be a bit of a shock, with an accompanying learning curve, but then again it might be perfect. Depends on the user. :)

Just make sure it's the full ROM, or you'll need to flash it in over the ROM once you get it installed.

The name's Steve, by the way.

missrachel

Reaction score
Hey Steve! I just downloaded it... and rooted! :D First things first I am backing up all my apps and data on Titanium Backup right now. I've also installed ROM Manager and plan to use that to help me through the process of backing up and installing ROMs...

The other day you told me to make a Nandroid backup, and that there should be a Nandroid folder on the root of my SD card. When I plug my phone into my PC and turn on USB storage, I see no such folder. But my PC does prompt me to scan and fix the removable disk.. should I allow this?