somewhat easier guide to root your droid 2

darkonion

Reaction score
maybe its because im really tired but i cant find this, - Download attached archive [Droid2Root.rar, 4 files in it]

is that located in the android-sdk-windows files because if so i cant find it. :wacko:

You need to go to the #1 post here.

How to root the Droid 2 - Page 17 - xda-developers

There should be 3 files you'll need.

1. ADB/SDK tool
2. Motorola Driver
3. Droid2Root.rar (at the bottom of the #1 post. It is a file attachment to the post.

I'd download them in that order. Then follow the instructions on post #164! And you should have root if you go through that successful. Read the directions first before executing each command. The notes are there to help you navigate through this set of procedures.

cdipier2

Reaction score
I downloaded adb/sdk and the motorola drivers last night and I will download the last file later on when I get home from work. Thanks for your help man

DFlo

Reaction score
That did it...I have root! Thanks guys!

raw33

Reaction score
- adb shell
[The command line should now start with a “$” instead of c:\]

- cd data/local/tmp
[after typing in this next command, it won't really say anything, it'll just spit back out your command. This is normal.
ex.

$ cd data/local/tmp
cd data/local/tmp

It will be like this for the cd command and the chmod(next) command.]

- chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
[Type this exactly like it is.]

- let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two)
[This actually took me awhile before the program kicked me out. Go do something productive for 5 minutes then come back. I actually washed dishes and cleaned up my room while I waited. You'll know when it is done when you it'll kick you back to the DOS command. It'll look something like this:
c:\android-sdk-windows\tools>]

I got through all of the adb push of the superuser, su, busybox, and rage/cage.
Then on this step i have quoted I cant get past. I type in the adb shell and the $ comes up then type in cd data\local\tmp and that spits out what it says it should.
But then i type in "chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin" and it says unable to chmod rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin no file directory.
I put the 4 files in the tools folder and in the removeable storage droid 2 file when it is in pc mode. What am I doing wrong and sorry that I am a noob, I am quite new to this...

I don't know if this means anything but in my notification bar it said that rageagainstthecage downloaded 100% but i click on it in the notification bar and it loads a page that says "web page at file:///mnt/sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin could not be loaded as: the requested file was not found.

darkonion

Reaction score
- adb shell

- cd data/local/tmp
[after typing in this next command, it won't really say anything, it'll just spit back out your command. This is normal.
ex.

$ cd data/local/tmp
cd data/local/tmp

[This actually took me awhile before the program kicked me out. Go do something productive for 5 minutes then come back. I actually washed dishes and cleaned up my room while I waited. You'll know when it is done when you it'll kick you back to the DOS command. It'll look something like this:

Then on this step i have quoted I cant get past. I type in the adb shell and the $ comes up then type in cd data\local\tmp and that spits out what it says it should.
But then i type in "chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin" and it says unable to chmod rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin no file directory.
I put the 4 files in the tools folder and in the removeable storage droid 2 file when it is in pc mode. What am I doing wrong and sorry that I am a noob, I am quite new to this...

I don't know if this means anything but in my notification bar it said that rageagainstthecage downloaded 100% but i click on it in the notification bar and it loads a page that says "web page at file:///mnt/sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin could not be loaded as: the requested file was not found.

Did you type cd data/local/tmp or cd data\local\tmp? Type the first one and see if that works.

raw33

Reaction score
- adb shell

- cd data/local/tmp
ex.

$ cd data/local/tmp
cd data/local/tmp

Did you type cd data/local/tmp or cd data\local\tmp? Type the first one and see if that works.

I typed in cd data/local/tmp comes back just how he says it should.
I type in adb shell and get "$" Then it says type in cd data/local/tmp and it will shoot it back just without the $ in the line below.

But then i try the chmod rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin and it says no such file.
I just tried everything all over and it did the same thing.

Edit: I am doing the forward slashes like it says and the cd data/local/tmp works fine but its just the next step it can't find the file. I've tried putting the droid2root files on the phone in both pc mode and usb mass storage and neither is working.

Ferathon

Reaction score
Just for the record. I did this on Vista 32 bit and it worked perfect.

raw33

Reaction score
Just for the record. I did this on Vista 32 bit and it worked perfect.

I'm not even sure what system this computer is running on. Its a work computer and a little dated so maybe that would be it? My laptop is fried and I'm looking into getting another one is there one that would work better for doing stuff like this because I am definitely going to be looking to unlock phones in the future.

Ferathon

Reaction score
I'm not even sure what system this computer is running on. Its a work computer and a little dated so maybe that would be it? My laptop is fried and I'm looking into getting another one is there one that would work better for doing stuff like this because I am definitely going to be looking to unlock phones in the future.
Eh, I'm no expert but as long as you disable the UAC and extra security stuff Vista has, it works well. XP is almost guaranteed for everything, because that's what any windows user should use supposedly. I run a desktop and a laptop both on Vista and I've never had a problem doing this type of stuff.

raw33

Reaction score
Ok, I just noticed something else. In my phone files, it shows the rage/cage file, the su file, busybox, and superuser.apk. I clicked on the superuser.apk and installed it. Is that going to help or hurt my chances of rooting?

darkonion

Reaction score
Ok, I just noticed something else. In my phone files, it shows the rage/cage file, the su file, busybox, and superuser.apk. I clicked on the superuser.apk and installed it. Is that going to help or hurt my chances of rooting?

Hey. Sorry I can't help at the moment. Moving to a new apartment. Try starting over from the very beginning. Make sure you follow each step. I wouldn't be surprised if you missed a step. I think you might have not copied over the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin. I'll check the thread again in a little bit.

SDI

Reaction score
I know this is a little premature but when is a simpler way to root going to come out that does not require ADB? Just wondering?

pelswick48

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else had this problem...

After attempting root, everything appears to work. Except my data connection. None of my apps requiring a data connection will work, including my browser, market, and weather. Tried reprogramming and a battery pull with no success.

Any suggestions?

cdipier2

Reaction score
im finally rooted!! i got it after a little trial and error

thanks darkonion for your help, your tutorial was much easier to understand with the notes.