Soak test

wolf102

Reaction score
I just got an email from motorola about a soak test coming up for final hardware I wonder what this update will be like.I a am signed up for the soak test I hope I get it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

pctechdude

Reaction score
Just got the same email...hope its a good one!

TheJester34

Reaction score
Is that all it says? I wonder what it is.... ICS, maybe??????????? (Yes I know, probably not. But I can dream darnit!)

Last edited:

dstreng

Reaction score
Is that all it says? I wonder what it is.... ICS, maybe??????????? (Yes I know, probably not. But I can dream darnit!)

Its most definitely, 100%, a patch. Not ICS. But sure, I guess u can dream

Reaction score
I'm hoping that it is a patch getting ready for ics. Anyway try to save it for the test of us if you can, it's still interesting. Hopefully it does not break root.

"But WHY THE RUM?!!"

OP
W

wolf102

Reaction score
How do I save it if I get it?

Reaction score
That is a good question, I don't have that answer but the folks here or xda might know. Do a little searching I'm sure you'll come up with the answer. I'll look myself when I get time. To late right now, I have to be up at 5:30 am and it's 11:20 now.

"But WHY THE RUM?!!"

mikespe

Reaction score
I just got that email too...had to take a quick survey but it said I should be picked...most likely within the next week or so...I'm assuming it is a variation of 901/902...I'm thinking if that's what it is & all is OK that the next update after that will be ICS...based on how the updates work (few users at a time) that everyone should be updated by mid to late March...which would validate the rumors of ICS by April...

I have no facts on this..just basing my guess on past practice.

Psychlone

Reaction score
Good luck guys... the last soak completely BORKED my phone.

Unlike most of you, my Bionic didn't experience ANY of the problems that I've read about - I never lost data connection once, I never had to reboot, never had it reboot in my pocket for no reason, never had any type of problem with it at all, and my battery life was well over 30 hours (on the standard battery with my normal usage - and you can verify that by checking the battery thread from a few months ago)

Now, after the last soak that I was part of, my phone has experienced ALL of the problems that everyone has been complaining about.
I pitched a FIT in the MFN forums - just like the other thousand "lucky" soak test winners, and ALL of us were met with silence from Motorola.

I've been in pre-media beta testing and focus groups for over 27 years and have NEVER experienced anything quite like how it went down testing a simple OTA for this phone - because I had never worked with Motorola before. Their perception is that if an OTA fixes 41% of the phones out there, they'll push it out - even despite absolute EVIDENCE that it made it worse for the other 59%.
They don't listen to their beta testers - if they decide it's good enough, it's good enough and off to the public it goes.

So, good luck guys. Hope what happened to me (and the other 999 people from the previous "secret soak test") doesn't happen to this next thousand.

jayman350

Reaction score
I got the email, went ahead and signed up for the soak test. I'm debating whether or not I want to go back to stock now and see what happens with this update. The survey mentioned that you should factory reset if you have rooted/modded anything, and that if you wait until the test is rolling out to wipe you will get kicked out of line and you will not get the update.

So, do you think it is worth risking losing root just to get the soak test? If there were any hope that this is the ICS update I would be all over it, but if its just another patch then I'm not sure. .901 has been going great for me so far.

mikespe

Reaction score
I got the email, went ahead and signed up for the soak test. I'm debating whether or not I want to go back to stock now and see what happens with this update. The survey mentioned that you should factory reset if you have rooted/modded anything, and that if you wait until the test is rolling out to wipe you will get kicked out of line and you will not get the update.

So, do you think it is worth risking losing root just to get the soak test? If there were any hope that this is the ICS update I would be all over it, but if its just another patch then I'm not sure. .901 has been going great for me so far.

I'm wondering if you don't unroot if it will really matter? I understand if you're not STOCK...meaning an alternate rom or several tweaks to the stock rom. But if you are all stock except root what could really happen? Yea you could lose root but what else? I still have all the bloat installed...just the benefits of being rooted without changing much to the stock rom (wireless tethering is the only real thing I use being rooted...plus TiBu and other "root" apps)

Reaction score
I'm wondering this myself, I am rooted, have safestrap installed and am running a custom Ron on the unsafe partition. I think I'll give it a go since I'm stock on the safe side. Got my email this morning so I'll see if I get it.

"But WHY THE RUM?!!"

striker85

Reaction score
Yay! I'm part of the soak test. I'm gonna follow the instructions and restore to 893. I'm on rooted 901 now but now with anything special...just root.