So who's fault is it?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its amusing to hear everyone say update 2.1 is no big deal, yet their rooted and have 2.1. I have have yet to jump and if the ROM's weren't available I'm sure most of you would be clamoring for 2.1 also. To say get over it is ridiculous. I would prefer my 2.1 form Motorola. I am not very tech savvy and don't want to chance it. (Family moto: Murphy's law). So...to say get over it or its no big deal, WHILE YOUR RUNNING IT yourself is upsetting.......I can't wait for 2.1, I just want the one promised to us...

No disrespect but nobody promised you would get 2.1 other then some people on line who have no control over the distribution. This to this day it still remains to be a rumored update. Nobody has sent anything out to Verizon customers indicating that 2.1 would be along the way.

Now I admit there does seem to be some documentation that would allow you to think it was promised to us but that's just not the case.

If you are referring to a Verizon Rep promising you 2.1, well then you have a point but lets face it Verizon Reps really don't know that much about what's going on in regards to updates. If they promised you this I'd take that with a grain of salt.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
wrong

No hook you are wrong when motorola, google tell us we will be getting 2.1 that is a promise of getting it! I dont care what involvement verizon has We bought a motorola phone and motorola has stated we will get 2.1 therefor we are to get it or this is called false advertising or misleading sales tactics both illegal and valid lawsuits. Your post is just plain wrong and as a news person this is poor! there has been documentation from the manufacturer of the phone that the droid would get it. its definatley promised and advertised where you get this is not the case is beyond me.
On the important front flash is the advertising feature that led me to purchase this phone and 2.1 can wait until flash is ready for me.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No hook you are wrong when motorola, google tell us we will be getting 2.1 that is a promise of getting it! I dont care what involvement verizon has We bought a motorola phone and motorola has stated we will get 2.1 therefor we are to get it or this is called false advertising or misleading sales tactics both illegal and valid lawsuits. Your post is just plain wrong and as a news person this is poor! there has been documentation from the manufacturer of the phone that the droid would get it. its definatley promised and advertised where you get this is not the case is beyond me.
On the important front flash is the advertising feature that led me to purchase this phone and 2.1 can wait until flash is ready for me.

I stand corrected, but I believe the statement made was "soon" and no definition of time is mentioned. But you are correct Motorola did announce it was coming to the Droid. Not to make excuses but I was speaking from a Verizon point of view.

Motorola did indeed say in that very mixed up statement that it would be released soon and I did forget about that document. It's the only thing that is out there but that should be sufficient enough.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its amusing to hear everyone say update 2.1 is no big deal, yet their rooted and have 2.1. I have have yet to jump and if the ROM's weren't available I'm sure most of you would be clamoring for 2.1 also. To say get over it is ridiculous. I would prefer my 2.1 form Motorola. I am not very tech savvy and don't want to chance it. (Family moto: Murphy's law). So...to say get over it or its no big deal, WHILE YOUR RUNNING IT yourself is upsetting.......I can't wait for 2.1, I just want the one promised to us...
While it's true an official 2.1 is not out there, those of us who have rooted do have the features 2.1 offers. Since it is available in ROM's, yes I'm one of those who don't care when 2.1 officially drops. There are many people on here that would offer to help you root and check out what these ROM's have to offer. Sorry if you are upset by all this, but take it from this old 50 yr old who was totally afraid to root because I was afraid I'd brick the phone...it's virtually impossible to brick. PM me and I'll help, or PM some of the others who have rooted and they will be more than happy to help you out.

The intent of this thread was not to turn it into a root vs non-root, it was to get opinions why it hasn't dropped yet. Being a former VZW rep and a former BB user, I blame a lot of the delay on VZW testing and not approving it.

Last edited:

bpad10

Reaction score
While it's true an official 2.1 is not out there, those of us who have rooted do have the features 2.1 offers. Since it is available in ROM's, yes I'm one of those who don't care when 2.1 officially drops. There are many people on here that would offer to help you root and check out what these ROM's have to offer. Sorry if you are upset by all this, but take it from this old 50 yr old who was totally afraid to root because I was afraid I'd brick the phone...it's virtually impossible to brick. PM me and I'll help, or PM some of the others who have rooted and they will be more than happy to help you out.

The intent of this thread was not to turn it into a root vs non-root, it was to get opinions why it hasn't dropped yet. Being a former VZW rep and a former BB user, I blame a lot of the delay on VZW testing and not approving it.

I'm sorry if I was misunderstood...I think its fantstic that many are rooted and there are many excellent choices available. I contemplate taking the plunge myself. What bothers me are people saying its no big deal and quit whining yet they have all the features I am hoping for via the update. "Soon" was over a month ago.
Hell, I want answers from Verizon and Motorola more than the update. We pay thousands and get no response. I was always under the impression companies should be liable to their costumers....if there is growing concern they should address it....
Who's at fault? Motorola for no response, Verizon for being oblivious or holding it back, us for not pressing the issue, and me for complaining and whining too damn much :)
Now, have to admit this board is, by far, the best, most complete board out there....thank you for all of the information and guidance....

KevinJ

Reaction score
As to the poll, there should be a "none of the above" option. I believe the real fault is the end user, who isn't patient enough to just sit and wait without jumping on the speculation bandwagon (although they play some nice music on the bandwagon, so I've heard.;))

I'm not rooted, and don't plan to. I'm also not 'salivating' or complaining about no 2.1 My phone works fine for what I need it for - to make phone calls. But if I were to be suspicious and paranoid, I would point people to the link I found last week where it's Verizon who is holding back the OTA, because they don't like how "open" Android is, and they are looking for a way to restrict the phones like all the "regular" Verizon phones (read what ATT is supposedly going to do with Android phones, and you'll get the picture).

And also....
We bought a motorola phone and motorola has stated we will get 2.1 therefor we are to get it or this is called false advertising or misleading sales tactics both illegal and valid lawsuits.

I see no where that it is "false advertising" or "misleading sales tactics". So Motorola said the Droid will get the 2.1 update. Did they ever give a credible delivery date? I don't think so. Also, I don't think the Droid was sold with the "2.1 is coming for the phone" by Motorola, Verizon, etc.

Motorola says 2.1 will be available. When it passes all the beta tests and works as good as possible, it will be released. Until the day when there is a definite date, there's nothing to be done except, whine, cry, berate, speculate, and let the rumors run rampant on the interwebs.

And we all know how factual the internet is. :D

M

Matth3w

Actually, I wouldn't. I couldn't care less about the OTA because it doesn't include a DAMN thing of real value. Live wallpapers? Worthless, lag the phone (even if only slightly) and are generally covered up by icons

Sodner

Reaction score
It's weird that Verizon (or is it Motorola or both) have been advertising the *$&# out of the Droid lately. I must have seen the "Human" commercial 5 times in 3 hours of TV last evening. So on one hand they are pushing the device big time, but on the other, they have failed to push and update to keep the device totally up-to-date.

I voted for Moto but I have no idea who is holding this up.

At this point we have to be happy we are on a 2.x of the OS. Those other devices on 1.x are the ones being left behind and facing a growing number of apps that are incompatible.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
As to the poll, there should be a "none of the above" option. I believe the real fault is the end user, who isn't patient enough to just sit and wait without jumping on the speculation bandwagon
That pretty much sums up my thoughts. I've seen this sort of behavior for years on various forum sites. People get all worked up over speculation and then get incredibly disappointed when the rumors don't pan out.

We bought a motorola phone and motorola has stated we will get 2.1 therefor we are to get it or this is called false advertising or misleading sales tactics both illegal and valid lawsuits.
Where was 2.1 advertised for the Droid? It would be one thing if a hard release date was provided but, IIRC that was never announced. It's pretty much a no win situation for Motorola. As it is, people are griping because the update doesn't have a firm date and hasn't been released yet. However, if Motorola was to arbitrarily post a date and had to defer it they'd be in trouble. Or if they released the update and it was buggy they'd have to endure a storm of complaints. Again, it's impatience and self-entitlement of the consumers that's the real problem IMO.

As it is, even if the update is released with no problems I'm expecting to see waves of people griping about how disappointed they are that they update doesn't do everything that they dreamed of while foaming at the mouth for its release.

Last edited:

Enter

Reaction score
It is Verizon. A year ago I had the Motorola Krave (horrible phone), when I first got it, it updated once right after I had it activated. Throughout a year, there were no updates from the phones Check Now option, however I saw numerous updates pop on online forums. It did not come with a USB cord so I figured I could live with the numerous bugs and just get it OTA. One year, no updates found from my phone and three released through Motorola's site instead. I ended up finally buying a USB.

Jhem812

Reaction score
I think the delay is from the Apple/HTC lawsuit. So blame Apple.

Last edited:
OP
KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorola has submitted 2.1 to Verizon. It failed Verizon's security testing so changes had to be made to it before it can pass the security checks. From what I have read this has happened twice now. So all in all its Verizon's fault. I would rather it be delayed and have no issues then it be rushed and have problems.

This is also why Verizon was the last to release a blackberry update. When they finally came out they were flawless (most of the time)

By this logic I would say it's Moto not VZW... VZW has a vested interest in making sure their phones are secure which Moto can't deliver on (i.e. inability to provide a stable and secure update). How is it VZW fault the Moto devs can't get it right? Cell security (and security in general) is a HUGE deal for a LOT of users of these types of devices. But it would be nice to know exactly what VZW is not happy with (i.e. do our cooked ROMs have these same flaws??).

Actually, I wouldn't. I couldn't care less about the OTA because it doesn't include a DAMN thing of real value. Live wallpapers? Worthless, lag the phone (even if only slightly) and are generally covered up by icons

This again seems for an argument for/of poor coding @ Moto. As I said in my OP (least I think I did) if the chef/devs with their limited time and resources can take the release candidates and make them as fast and stable then WTF is Moto's problem... they no doubt have dozens (if not hundreds) of devs working on this update and still can't get it right....

The real bonus for us rooted users will come from having an 'officila' ROM base for the devs to use as the base for their ROMs. As mentioned above if their are legit security concerns than most of us would like these addressed.

BzB

Reaction score
This again seems for an argument for/of poor coding @ Moto. As I said in my OP (least I think I did) if the chef/devs with their limited time and resources can take the release candidates and make them as fast and stable then WTF is Moto's problem... they no doubt have dozens (if not hundreds) of devs working on this update and still can't get it right....

the devs aren't changing the reasons why vzw failed it. they're just adding or removing stuff from the base rom they have to work with. meaning all they're doing is adding wallpapers or themes and/or changing what apps are available in their customized roms.

the rom chefs can't fix the reasons vzw failed it. in my opinion vzw sent it back because they want tighter control over an open os, not because there was some inherent flaw with the os regarding functionality that would lead to a failure of some sort.

referring to vzw's scrutiny over blackberry os releases as an example of making sure everything is good before it hits consumers is a bad comparison. why? you can't find one blackberry os that vzw officially released that did not have a problem. glaring problems at that.

i'm another one who doesn't think the release of os 2.1 is a big deal for three reasons. 1) you can already get it if you're rooted. 2) the phone functions perfectly fine with the current os. 3) there was no promised time frame (and "soon" is not definitive.)

Sodner

Reaction score
Yea I went from checking these forums for news on the OTA daily to not caring one bit if we get it. The "private" devs working on the ROMS for us are doing a wonderful job of providing us with all the functionality I need.

Brokn68

Reaction score
I want them to get it right so I can wait as long as it takes. My phone works great as is.