So the Thunderbolt isn't any thinner than the OG Droid?

texazranger09

Reaction score
I think the size is great...coming from the og it was a perfect transition for me. and honestly rooting adds so much more than speed, among all the things is tremendously better battery life. I have zero problems making a full day with moderate to heavy use with the stock battery, my og could go around 36 hours when I was running bugless but that's not necessary for me.

You've been....THUNDASTRUCK!

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
I think the size is great...coming from the og it was a perfect transition for me. and honestly rooting adds so much more than speed, among all the things is tremendously better battery life. I have zero problems making a full day with moderate to heavy use with the stock battery, my og could go around 36 hours when I was running bugless but that's not necessary for me.

You've been....THUNDASTRUCK!

Yes I know it does, I've been rooted since day 1 on the Droid, so I know all the advantages lol I was saying specifically towards battery life

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
Which is why you root it. Rooting solves everything haha.

Sent from my BAMFed out Thunderbolt
Even if that would have meant making it a tad thicker, I see no real world use for a thin phone. Thickness in a phone is a novelty, unless you wear skin tight clothes. (Which I certainly do not lol)

I wear skin tight clothes... then again I think I'm allowed....... My OG Droid fit in my front pocket.. but with the screen size the TB will only fit in the rear pocket or purse.. oh welllll.

m@tt

Reaction score
I have an og and was messin around with the thunderbolt and it seemed pretty thick for not having a keyboard. Looking online the droid and thunderbolt have similiar thicknesses, along with the Bionic? I was hoping the thunderbolt and bionic would be really thin like the iphone 4 and the galaxy s and s2. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Yes but the TB will run circles around OG d1 any day. Might weight the same or close to it but the processor blows d1 out the water.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
The only thing rooting can solve here is the processor speed. Rooting does not have any affect on the screen size or the 4G radio.

But if it works for you, by all means, go with it lol I was just stating I think the battery should have increased capacity, not shrunk. Even if that would have meant making it a tad thicker, I see no real world use for a thin phone. Thickness in a phone is a novelty, unless you wear skin tight clothes. (Which I certainly do not lol)

Over/under-clocking is not the only thing, also undervolting.

The battery didnt shrink from the OG, it actually grew a whopping 10mAh! My D1 batteries are rated @1390mAh and the stock TB batt is 1400.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes but the TB will run circles around OG d1 any day. Might weight the same or close to it but the processor blows d1 out the water.

actually it doesn't. The thunderbolt is last years technology with a 4g radio added. I was given a thunderbolt to try out for a month right before the device was released and the day to day operations of the phone weren't any faster then my D1 or my DX. Yes ill give it credit where its due the internet was substantially faster because i live in a 4g area. the battery life was absolutely horrid i ended up putting it back in the box after less then two weeks because it was unbearable. Even with everything turned off i was getting less then a full day out of it.

I dont understand why people can be so dumb and buy a phone that gets less then a full 24 hours out of the battery with everything turned on.

kparks

Reaction score

actually it doesn't. The thunderbolt is last years technology with a 4g radio added. I was given a thunderbolt to try out for a month right before the device was released and the day to day operations of the phone weren't any faster then my D1 or my DX. Yes ill give it credit where its due the internet was substantially faster because i live in a 4g area. the battery life was absolutely horrid i ended up putting it back in the box after less then two weeks because it was unbearable. Even with everything turned off i was getting less then a full day out of it.

I dont understand why people can be so dumb and buy a phone that gets less then a full 24 hours out of the battery with everything turned on.
No need to call me and other people dumb I can deal with it and usually have a charger around anyway if I need one... And how can it be last years tech... We are half way through the year and there are like 1 or 2 duel core devices out and after reading about and playing with the atrix I'm not impressed... Just cuz u don't like the bolt does not mean everyone who likes it and uses it makes them dumb..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
okay maybe saying they are dumb was a little over the top. my apologies but still definatly a careless move. You should not have to carry a extra charger and an extra battery with you 24/7.(or have one everywhere you go)

its not only the buyers that are careless but the carrier and manufacturer shouldn't even consider releasing a phone unless it can get 24+ hours with everything on.

what do you do if you get stuck out somewhere and the phone dies like it does 2 or 3 times during the day.... then what?

as far as saying its last years technology the processor for the thunderbolt was originally released in February of 2010 its almost identical to whats in the HTC EVO. So yeah HTC took old technology put it in a phone with a large screen then threw a 4g radio in it and called it a new device.

Last edited:

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
okay maybe saying they are dumb was a little over the top. my apologies but still definatly a careless move. You should not have to carry a extra charger and an extra battery with you 24/7.(or have one everywhere you go)

its not only the buyers that are careless but the carrier and manufacturer shouldn't even consider releasing a phone unless it can get 24+ hours with everything on.

what do you do if you get stuck out somewhere and the phone dies like it does 2 or 3 times during the day.... then what?

as far as saying its last years technology the processor for the thunderbolt was originally released in February of 2010 its almost identical to whats in the HTC EVO. So yeah HTC took old technology put it in a phone with a large screen then threw a 4g radio in it and called it a new device.

I haven't owned a phone since a blackberry that could last 24 hours, not my D1,D2,DX,Fascinate, or my TB, and i don't ever expect to see that happen until they improve upon battery technology. That quite a standard you are asking for, unless of course you don't use your phone very much. I am on mine a lot every day, i have the extended batt on the TB and get almost 20 hours.

gujupmp88

Reaction score

maybe you should read up on what you claim you know. Lets look at the differences between HTC EVO and Thunderbolt:

Processor: EVO has 1st generation snapdragon qsd8650 with an older adreno 200 gpu. Thunderbolt has a 2nd generation snapdragon msm8655 with a new adreno 205 gpu. EVO's processor is 65nm while Thunderbolt's is 45nm. EVO's processor was released Q4 of 2008 while Thunderbolt's was release Q2 2010. As you can see, not the same, not even close.

RAM: EVO has 512 mb while Thunderbolt has 768mb. Don't really need to explain the difference there.

Storage: EVO onboard is 1gb vs 8gb on Thunderbolt. Not sure how much sd card space came with the EVO, but i doubt it compares to the 32gb that Thunderbolt came with.

Internet speed: you already admitted Thunderbolt is faster, so no need to beat a dead horse.

if anyone gets more than 24 hours from a stock battery on any "super"phone made recently, they are not using it and their wasting their money. getting >24 hours on a phone is a thing of the past, sorry to burst you bubble.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

You are partially correct. The tbolt is basically last years technology, in fact its biggest selling point was that is was the evo 4g (one of the most successful android devices to date) on verizon. With that said in comparison to the d2. There are some differences. Video do not lag or chop for me on the tbolt like it does the d2. The d2 has better speaker and music volume and is a brighter screen. But the bigges reason people bought the tbolt was becuase they can unlock the bootloader. The tbolt is what people expected last year from the droid x and droid 2. Sense is much better than blur, though gingerblur actually puts them on par. I knew about the battery life going in which is why I bought an extended battery. And I get battery life on par with my d1 and d2. As long as motorola keep locking the bootloader and samsung dont update regularly people will be choosing htc. Besides no matter what device you buy it will always be last years technology. Heck even dual core is about to be considered old. The tbolt runs smooth, its fast enough to do what I need to do. And I can change kernels to a lv kernel.

chris420o

Reaction score
thunderbolt still is a waste...for somone to use their upgrade on a slightly upgraded evo is just silly...esp with all the problems it has...even though i never get more then 6 hours on my droid(i never understood people who get so called 14 hours or more of heavy use on their phones, dont think they know what heavy use is) to get prob less on the tbolt would be far to much...if ima upgrade im gettin the new tech duel core n all that good stuff

chris420o

Reaction score
and i dont like the root argument...u shouldnt have to root for a phone to just run without dying fast...makes zero sense

on to the locked bootloader...another argument im not sure i understand...the og droid was fun bc you could root and flash custom roms/kernals that made the phone run as fast n smooth as it could...im pretty damn sure when the bionic/targa comes out with the duel core n all its goodness will run pretty smooth n fast out the box...so who cares about a custom kernal?

all i want is to customize how my phone looks and to add and remove features...you can STILL do that with a locked bootloader...so yeah...dont really get the big deal now a days

Its TwiX

Reaction score
thunderbolt still is a waste...for somone to use their upgrade on a slightly upgraded evo is just silly...esp with all the problems it has...even though i never get more then 6 hours on my droid(i never understood people who get so called 14 hours or more of heavy use on their phones, dont think they know what heavy use is) to get prob less on the tbolt would be far to much...if ima upgrade im gettin the new tech duel core n all that good stuff

Rofl. If you are that heavy of a user, adding a second core will make your problem worse not better. But good luck. Still don't understand why people that don't like the thunderbolt come to post in the Thunderbolt section.

Sent from my BAMFed out Thunderbolt