Why is the Thunderbolt so successful.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Hmm for me it was that I was frustrated with my DX as I couldn't do with it what I wanted. After the Droid I got spoiled and wanted a phone that was fully customizable, that means the option to run full on aosp roms not hacked together roms that while they are great IMHO they are never as smooth, fast and trouble free as a rom completely compiled from source.

As for why I didn't go apple over TB I honestly don't like the dumbed down UI and the lack of user customization that android gives me. Android gives you the option to be an individual and let your phone show that, and even more so on a fully unlocked phone. The other thing I don't like about the current iphone is the screen size after going from 3.7 Droid to 4.3 DX there is no going back and to go even smaller at 3.5 for iphone well that is out of the question. I like their HW and build quality, if the screen was 4+ and the OS was more open to user customization and if they opened their phone to outside app installation and didn't lock me so into itunes for everything I would consider an iphone. I doubt any of that other than larger screen size will ever happen though so it's android for me right now...

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I find it interesting that some of you coming from a Droid find this device adequate with no physical keyboard.

Seems some of you are trying to justify a device your not quite satisfied with.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I find it interesting that some of you coming from a Droid find this device adequate with no physical keyboard.

The physical keyboard is a take it or leave it kind of thing.

Why do you think someone would say they liked the phone if they really didn't? I liked my Droid 1 but never missed the keyboard.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

Why do you think someone would say they liked the phone if they really didn't? I liked my Droid 1 but never missed the keyboard.

To justify being locked into a 2 year contract. (To feel better about it)

krandle41709

Reaction score
I came from the eris then to the incredible (whoo boy lemmie tell ya!! I was soooo much happier with the incredible!) Then my hubby got the vzw iphone as soon as they provided employees the opportunity to get it. That same week I got the TB, and by the end of the week hubby had sent back his "precious " (I say that bc be wanted it for so long then got it and it was not what he thought it would be, and we have a ipad which is awesome!) Anyways that same week he returned the iphone for the thunderbolt got the extented battery and hasn't looked Back since. I have a spare battery on the in case that I need it. We love our phones!! I plus 4G LTE just went live this week in Wilmington NC :)

from the thunderbolt

MrKleen

Reaction score

Nothing can make you feel better about a two year contract, not even a keyboard... :)

armeddroid

Reaction score

Not me.
I could care less for the keyboard from the D1. I think the only reason why I used it was for manual updates.
In fact I am so used to using the Touch Keyboard that i started to want a bigger screen.
With the Tbolt, I have it.

Beardface

Reaction score

Not me...

I will say, the physical keyboard was a big selling point for me on the Droid, because I had an awful experience with my LG Voyager's touchscreen prior to it. However, after a year's worth of use on the Droid, I realized, the only times I really ever used my keyboard was if I was booting into clockwork or typing a really long email, because the on screen keyboard was so small. Clockwork isn't an issue anymore with the TBolt, cause you can move through recovery through the volume rockers, and the touch screen keyboard is so large on this thing that it completely negated the need for the physical one. Plus, I already had SwiftKey from the Droid, and with the two combined together, I'll likely never feel the need for a physical keyboard again.

And nothing is going to make me regret a 2 year unlimited 4G data plan... Nothing.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I did not think I could go with out a physical kb infact I was about to buy a bt mini keyboard for the phone. The 4.3 inch screen is great for typing. Yeah I would still type better on a physical keyboard, but this on screen keyboard is more than acceptable. Besides the dx dont have a physical kb, the dx2 and the bionic/targa will not have a physical kb either. People are going for bigger screens and if you MUST have a physical kb you can always by a bt mini kb.

thedefectkid

Reaction score

My keyboard actually broke on me (I would open the keyboard and the screen would go blank) and I used the touchscreen alot more since I used up my two replacements. But not having a keyboard is fine instead of me having to turn and open my phone to a keyboard I just turn it and voilà a full keyboard(which is bigger than my d1). Loving the TB

djmwilliams1

Reaction score
I went into a Sprint store this morning, (NOW BEFORE YOU START BOOING JUST HEAR ME OUT), I wanted to see the the EVO battery would fit in my TBolt. Well it wouldn't, the EVO battery is much longer. Anyway, the salesman ask to see my phone, he looks at it and says nice, then he opens the kickstand and lays it horizontally on the table and says under his breath "just like the EVO", I gave him the "are you crazy look" and gently reach to where he had my phone laying sideways on the kickstand and turned the phone vertically on the kickstand. He grabs my phone off the table and examines the kickstand. If you all could have seen the surprised yet devastated look on his face it would have made a great billboard for Verizon. He put my phone back on the table vertically and just gazed at it. I picked up my phone from the table and with much more vigour he says again, Nice Phone. I said thank you and gave him that same look that Kevin costner gave Whitney Houston's body guard at the end of the fight in the kitchen scene in the movie The Body Guard, "i don't want to have this conversation again". And I just left store phone in hand and chest sticking out. That was a great start of my morning.

Houston THUNDERBOLT!!

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

I did not think I could go with out a physical kb infact I was about to buy a bt mini keyboard for the phone. The 4.3 inch screen is great for typing. Yeah I would still type better on a physical keyboard, but this on screen keyboard is more than acceptable. Besides the dx dont have a physical kb, the dx2 and the bionic/targa will not have a physical kb either. People are going for bigger screens and if you MUST have a physical kb you can always by a bt mini kb.

I find swype and SwiftKey adequate input methods, although while using terminal (which is a constant thing for me) or scripting a physical keyboard is a must. I find myself creating/editing files on the Droid then pushing them over to the X for usage. I have a rollup bluetooth keyboard but it's a hassle and has an issue repeating keystrokes, maybe a different keyboard would change my mind. It certainly would need to be portable, hard, with hard/semi-hard keys...exact opposite of what I currently have.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

My keyboard actually broke on me (I would open the keyboard and the screen would go blank) and I used the touchscreen alot more since I used up my two replacements. But not having a keyboard is fine instead of me having to turn and open my phone to a keyboard I just turn it and voilà a full keyboard(which is bigger than my d1). Loving the TB

I like the large horizontal input on the Droid X and find it pleasant to use, but I still need a dpad when softkeys begin me off....occasionally to the point of sliding open the device or throwing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Immolate

Reaction score
I really thought I'd never be happy without a physical keyboard when I switched from the D1 to the DX, but the big screen was just such an appealing feature and the excitement of the event was so tangible that I took the plunge.

Well... the on-screen keyboard is inferior, but only a bit with Swype, and since Gingerbread came out with the built-in cursor manipulation tool, I'm finding it easier than ever to live without a real keyboard. The important stat for me, however, is that after a couple of weeks with the X, though I still missed the keyboard, there was no doubt in my mind about having made a good decision. The X was just so much more enjoyable in every other way.

I'm giving my X to my son on Monday when my Tbolt rolls in, and it still looks like it did when it came out of the box, although I don't use a case or screen protector. Say what you will about locked bootloaders, that phone is as fine a piece of engineering as you'll see. I'm a bit wistful about giving it up, but we android people can't be happy standing still.

Sectime

Reaction score

Never understood the victim mentality in this attitude about a"contract" You don't like, you move on. The cost of moving on is small compared to the benefit of whining about "being locked in". By the way I moved from Droid X--Iphone4--Thunderbolt. When the Iphone gets LTE I'm moving back. But for now the TBolt is just fine.