So the Thunderbolt isn't any thinner than the OG Droid?

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
I have an og and was messin around with the thunderbolt and it seemed pretty thick for not having a keyboard. Looking online the droid and thunderbolt have similiar thicknesses, along with the Bionic? I was hoping the thunderbolt and bionic would be really thin like the iphone 4 and the galaxy s and s2. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
the more powerful the phone the more space needed for battery power since battery life sucks on just about all android phones.

sure they could put a thinner battery but instead of 7 hours you might get around 3 or 4 hours.

Reaction score
the more powerful the phone the more space needed for battery power since battery life sucks on just about all android phones.

sure they could put a thinner battery but instead of 7 hours you might get around 3 or 4 hours.

The new dual core processors are equally if nor more efficient than the current single core processors, assuming what I've read is true.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

mjforte

Reaction score
You have to remember that the Thunderbolt and Bionic both have a seperate radio for CDMA and LTE, that's why they are thicker even though they have no keyboard. Currently there is no radio that combines both technologies into one chip so they are separate and this is also the reason for poor battery life on these phones as they must switch between both radios instead of just one.

Sent from my Bolt!

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm getting 18 hours on the OG..

yeah i get close to 2 full days out of my OG droid but i was given a thunderbolt to use in return for my feedback and with everything turned off except 3g and barely using it i never even got a complete day. I live in a 4G area (tampa) with 4G(lte) on the battery life was worthless 4 hours tops. Needless to say after two weeks i put the thunderbolt back in the box and began using my OG Droid again.

when it was given to me for the trial they gave me two batteries and told me i would need them both to get a complete day out of the phone.

Jordan8

Reaction score

& the funny thing is the tunderbolt has a pretty small battery. I'm assuming the 4G is whats adding all the thickness.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
There's two factors that go into why the Thunderbolt is thick like it is. One is the 4G LTE radio and the other is HTC doesn't seem to put that much into R&D to do things like make their phone thinner.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Its TwiX

Reaction score

The new dual core processors are equally if nor more efficient than the current single core processors, assuming what I've read is true.

At low levels, yes. But if you push the dual core CPU (who wouldn't?) then it will cause more battery drain.

Sent from my BAMFed out Thunderbolt

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score

At low levels, yes. But if you push the dual core CPU (who wouldn't?) then it will cause more battery drain.

Yes, and HTC Thunderbolts' Battery is very small. Its smaller in mAh than the 1/2 speed droid, yet runs twice the processing speed almost, has a .6" bigger screen, and has an LTE radio in it.

Seems opposite of what should have happened to me lol

Its TwiX

Reaction score

Yes, and HTC Thunderbolts' Battery is very small. Its smaller in mAh than the 1/2 speed droid, yet runs twice the processing speed almost, has a .6" bigger screen, and has an LTE radio in it.

Seems opposite of what should have happened to me lol

Which is why you root it. Rooting solves everything haha.

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score

The only thing rooting can solve here is the processor speed. Rooting does not have any affect on the screen size or the 4G radio.

But if it works for you, by all means, go with it lol I was just stating I think the battery should have increased capacity, not shrunk. Even if that would have meant making it a tad thicker, I see no real world use for a thin phone. Thickness in a phone is a novelty, unless you wear skin tight clothes. (Which I certainly do not lol)

Its TwiX

Reaction score

The only thing rooting can solve here is the processor speed.

And that increases my battery life exponentially :)

Thickness in a phone is a novelty, unless you wear skin tight clothes. (Which I certainly do not lol)

Haha! "Is that your thunderbolt or are you just excited to see me?"