So, I partitioned my DROID's SD Card. Now what?

TengokuDROID

Reaction score
Uh. I'm still kinda' confused on this, but I need assistance. I partitioned my SD Card on my DROID, and yeah... I notice a definite speed boost. c: But yeah, all I want to do is install my apps to my SD card, I'll just do a quick rundown of what I did.

Well, first, I backed up my entire card onto my hard drive, then proceeded to format my MicroSD card in FAT32. Then, using MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition, I created a FAT32, ext3, and Linux Swap partition on the msd card.
I don't know what to do now.

So, my questions are, one, How do I install my apps to the ext3 partition, and two, do I just restore my cards contents back into the FAT32 partition?

Thank youuu~. c:

zachdroid

Reaction score
Use the app link2sd from the market. You can put all of your apps, including those that have widgets. And everything will work just fine from there. When you load up the application it will ask you what partition you want to mount. Select the correct partition reboot and then everything should be good from there if you have any problems come back and just ask.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
T

TengokuDROID

Reaction score
Use the app link2sd from the market. You can put all of your apps, including those that have widgets. And everything will work just fine from there. When you load up the application it will ask you what partition you want to mount. Select the correct partition reboot and then everything should be good from there if you have any problems come back and just ask.

Can you please walk me through this whole thing? Link2SD asks me about the partition, I select ext3, but it results in an error.
I don't know if I even did the partitioning right.

zachdroid

Reaction score
Not apps2sd. Link2sd. Its free from the market.

zachdroid

Reaction score
OK. What phone are you using? I should've asked that first. What kernel too please?

zachdroid

Reaction score
I'm going to send you a flashable file link to aid in the process

OP
T

TengokuDROID

Reaction score
OK. What phone are you using? I should've asked that first. What kernel too please?

OG Droid.

The kernel says "2.6.32.9-cm-stk
audicken@hera#1
Tue Apr 12 15:55:10 CDT 2011"

Its the kernel that MIUIandroid installs. (1.7.29)

OP
T

TengokuDROID

Reaction score
http://db.tt/QQudaKL. This is the install script Creator. Flash it in recovery mode.

So. I need to have an ext4 partition before I flash this? Just wanna make this clear.\

EDIT: I formatted my card. No partitions. So first, I make an FAT32 thats about 12GB for my music, photo's, rom files, etc. And then the rest, I just allocate for an ext4 partition? After this is done, I just flash the file you sent me?

Last edited:

zachdroid

Reaction score
http://db.tt/QQudaKL. This is the install script Creator. Flash it in recovery mode.

So. I need to have an ext4 partition before I flash this? Just wanna make this clear.\

EDIT: I formatted my card. No partitions. So first, I make an FAT32 thats about 12GB for my music, photo's, rom files, etc. And then the rest, I just allocate for an ext4 partition? After this is done, I just flash the file you sent me?

Yes, after you have everything else set up, go into the link2sd app, allow it to try and make the mount script. You will probably get the same error as before, its ok. Boot into recovery, flash the file I sent, reboot, open link2sd again and it should be ready to go. Thats the way it worked for me. I'm running the newest miui build as well but I am using a different kernel. I pretty sure the stock kernel has support for ext3 and ext4 but I am unsure. You may need to flash a different kernel to get it going but try the steps outlined above first and see if that gets it done.

Zach

OP
T

TengokuDROID

Reaction score

Yes, after you have everything else set up, go into the link2sd app, allow it to try and make the mount script. You will probably get the same error as before, its ok. Boot into recovery, flash the file I sent, reboot, open link2sd again and it should be ready to go. Thats the way it worked for me. I'm running the newest miui build as well but I am using a different kernel. I pretty sure the stock kernel has support for ext3 and ext4 but I am unsure. You may need to flash a different kernel to get it going but try the steps outlined above first and see if that gets it done.

Zach

I did it! I set the first partition as the ext4 partition, then I did the FAT32, and then Linux Swap, and I got no errors when I ran Link2SD! Rebooted, and now all of my apps are installing to the ext4 partition! Thanks alot, man! I'm loving the performance increase I'm getting from this.

Also, out of curiosity, do you happen to know whats the purpose of the Linux Swap partition? Thanks.

zachdroid

Reaction score

Zach

I did it! I set the first partition as the ext4 partition, then I did the FAT32, and then Linux Swap, and I got no errors when I ran Link2SD! Rebooted, and now all of my apps are installing to the ext4 partition! Thanks alot, man! I'm loving the performance increase I'm getting from this.

Also, out of curiosity, do you happen to know whats the purpose of the Linux Swap partition? Thanks.

Way to go man. Did you need the file I sent or did you get it without? I have no idea about the linux partition, something i think I will look into. Glad it worked out for you. Just remember, there are certain apps that don't really like being on the partition, handcent, link2sd, maps, rom manager, busy box, superuser, are a few that I can remember I had issues with when I had them on the partition. However their footprint isn't that big on the system to see a reduction in performance by leaving them on the internal memory. One thing I like is that you can set a preference to install any new apps directly to the partition through the app in the settings menu. Have a good time bud.

OP
T

TengokuDROID

Reaction score

Zach

Way to go man. Did you need the file I sent or did you get it without? I have no idea about the linux partition, something i think I will look into. Glad it worked out for you. Just remember, there are certain apps that don't really like being on the partition, handcent, link2sd, maps, rom manager, busy box, superuser, are a few that I can remember I had issues with when I had them on the partition. However their footprint isn't that big on the system to see a reduction in performance by leaving them on the internal memory. One thing I like is that you can set a preference to install any new apps directly to the partition through the app in the settings menu. Have a good time bud.

After setting the partitions, I rebooted into recovery and flashed the file that you sent me. Once again, thanks. c:

stickkiller54

Reaction score
I did the same thing but after I got link2sd working, I moved some apps and when I rebooted, the apps won't are not there. The sd card is mounted but the apps just say this application is not on the phone.