SMS backup app to txt file or email?

waffle_king

Reaction score
I've yet to find an answer to this, so I had to create an account just to ask this, so any help is great.

I'm looking for an SMS text backup app that backs up a text thread or all of em to a text (.txt) file or anything easier to use instead of the not useful .xml file, or can back it up to email, but in one email message, instead of each text as one reply.

Thanks for the help.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Go sms has a built in function that backs it up to a local file.

Sent from my ADR6400L

OP
W

waffle_king

Reaction score
Go sms has a built in function that backs it up to a local file.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Thanks for the quick reply, downloaded and installed, it doesn't back up into .xml file which is good, but instead it backed it up into a .dat file, which when opened in Notepad and Microsoft Word has a whole bunch of weird symbols. So how do you convert a .dat file into a .txt file, or how to make the .dat file readable?

iRenegade

Reaction score
there' s desktop sms which sends sms to emails. It's still in beta, but works on the tb.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
W

waffle_king

Reaction score
there' s desktop sms which sends sms to emails. It's still in beta, but works on the tb.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Thanks for the reply, sounds like it could be useful, but you forgot to mention what it's called. Searched "desktop sms" and didn't really come up w/ too much.

iRenegade

Reaction score
OP
W

waffle_king

Reaction score
Sorry about that! It's called "desksms". I couldn't get it to work with my TB at first, but I followed the hints on the page and it works like a charm! Here's the link: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.desktopsms&feature=search_result

Thanks for the link, but this is only when someone texts me and I reply back, it also doesn't show all of the texts, only a few of the last ones sent/received. In other words it's not really a backup app, it's a chat client.

OP
W

waffle_king

Reaction score
Sorry everyone, hate to bump my post, but I still don't a have a solution and can't find an app.

OP
W

waffle_king

Reaction score
Really, there's not a single app for this? Someone would make a killing from this app if they made it * wink wink*.

OP
W

waffle_king

Reaction score
MyPhoneExplorer
Yes! Thank you! Archived the messages and exported them to a text file! Have to edit it a bit, but worth it. Wow, can't believe I had to download a whole 'nother app for this, shame on you backup restore sms app devs.