Smart Actions

LadyHottShott

Reaction score
Maybe you missed the prompt to "remember" or "auto connect" to your home network the first time you connected to it? Have you tried long pressing your network and "Forget" it, then reconnect?
I am testing an app "Verizon WiFi auto connect" (I know, I know - I have a hard time with actually downloading a VZW app instead of trying to get rid of it, too). It's supposed to automatically connect to networks you specify when you get close and turn off WiFi when you leave - your home or office, for example.
I haven't had time to really test it, just walked around the block, and it worked as advertised on that occasion. I'm not really certain though if the app actually, really turns off the WiFi radio, but other people on the forum had good success with it. Saving battery and such...Very mixed reviews in the Market, possibly due to it not working at all on the Nexus.
In addition to the VZW app I created a Smart Action for 'Home" triggered by the presence of my home network.
I had the trigger set by 'location' but I get a creepy feeling about these things: Nobody knows I'm home but me and Verizon... Funny (or creepy) enough, I just made it through the door yesterday and got a 'quality assurance' call from Verizon. Call me paranoid....[/QUOTE]

That's the odd thing, I didn't see an option to auto connect to my wifi at home. Maybe I'm totally loosing it, lol, but I don't see that option.

Let me know how the verizon auto connect works out, I might try that.

lol @ the quality assurance call from Verizon.. they are watching you! :D

Scott0719

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the smart action staying on. I have the trigger set to my location and by time and it wont turn on. I would like it to turn wifi off but for some reason it wont do it. In my settings I have Google location services selected. I'm really just trying to save battery while i'm at work. I still want to have the 4G data but i don't need bluetooth or wifi while i'm at work. Anyone have any ideas why it wont turn on? It says its ready to use. Or does anyone have any other suggestions on what I could use to save battery power?

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Ya I've noticed some glitches too. Like I have a car setting that will trigger, via bluetooth, 50% brightness and full volume which works. But when I get out of the car to go to the store or something, the bluetooth icon stays on which can cause problems with phone calls. I was trying to call voice mail while in store and I couldn't hear anything. After I turned off bluetooth manually, I could hear the voice mail. But sometimes it's my fault because I create conflicts.

Scott0719

Reaction score
I just deleted the location trigger and will just use the time. I work the same time every day so it doesn't matter. On days I have off I can just turn the action off its not a big deal. If anyone has a solution or suggestions for me though I would still appreciate it.

One other question while i'm thinking about it. When you want to have a location be the trigger and you select your location it saves all the ones you have put in. Is there a way to delete them?

djstinso

Reaction score
as a follow-up to why i couldnt see cellular data in my smart action rules, i went through and defrosted all of the bloat on the phone and now i have the option to disable cellular data in smart actions now.... now if i could just figure out what app it was that was preventing it from showing up...

I have noticed a lot of similar problems. I froze a ton of bloatware and then found out I lost 4g all together. I defrosted everything and it came back. Now I am systematically re-freezing everything in an attepmt to figure out which app/apps were the sourse. I am thinking these are some insurance tags verizon put in to keep the bloatware around.

pintocat

Reaction score
Analytics Viewer needs to be present and unfrozen for the "Cellular Data" to work right, such as with Smart Actions.

rn_jacki

Reaction score
anybody know how to set it to silence the email/facebook, etc notifications, but NOT the phone? I need to be able to receive calls at night, but really don't care about my emails ;) Thanks.

blueydgurl85

Reaction score
Smart Actions not working

I have been trying to set up smart actions for a few days now on my Droid 4. The only trigger I am using is location - it should only activate when I am home. I noticed that it activated right away after I first created the smart action, however when I left home and came back, the smart action did not reactivate. I then rebooted my phone and the smart action started right up. Is anyone else having a similar issue or know how to fix this?

kwyrt

Reaction score
I had the same problem setting up and action based on my home location. I wanted wifi to turn on when I got home. The smart action turned on right away but when I came home from work the next day it did not work. I seem to remember when setting it up that it said something about wifi having to be on for the location action to work which makes no sense to me.

Noodle360

Reaction score
lol depending on the trigger, something has to be on for it to work. If your using a GPS trigger your GPS has to be on so it knows when your home, if your using a Wifi trigger your wifi has to be on so it knows when your home. The time frame will work because your clock is always on, and such like that. Not sure if that clears anything up, but I remember reading a few people that were having issues with there Wifi turning on using a GPS trigger, but they turned there GPS off to save battery... Hows the phone supposed to know where its at, if the GPS is off?

I havnt played around with smart actions enough yet but with Tasker (Which Im havin issues with) you can set the GPS to get location at time intervals, so every say 10 minuets it clicks on, gets a location, then off. better then having GPS on 100% of the time...

sangelopez

Reaction score
I turned on gps and inserted the location trigger but it says that its required to turn on wifi.

kwyrt

Reaction score
Same here. GPS is on. Still won't trigger wifi to turn on based on location. Because wifi has to be on for location settings to work? Makes no sense at all.

Noodle360

Reaction score
Hmm yea I couldn't get it to work either with gps. I did get a wifi trigger to work nicly... I for one would rather leave wifi on all the time then gps. Make sure your enabling the google location thing also in the settings menu.

blueydgurl85

Reaction score
I have been trying to set up smart actions for a few days now on my Droid 4. The only trigger I am using is location - it should only activate when I am home. I noticed that it activated right away after I first created the smart action, however when I left home and came back, the smart action did not reactivate. I then rebooted my phone and the smart action started right up. Is anyone else having a similar issue or know how to fix this?

I did also try this same smart action using time as the trigger and it did the same thing. I set up the trigger to be between a certain time frame. It activated right away after I created the smart action (because it was during that time frame), however the next day when it should have activated in that time frame it did not. I rebooted my phone and it worked...