Smart Actions

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by rherron, Nov 10, 2011.

1. LadyHottShott

LadyHottShott Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh my, I am figuring these smart actions out now. It's rather easy. I watched a video online, which really outlines how easy it is - much easier just to start from scratch IMO.

I just set it up for data to turn off when wifi on. To turn off ringer at night, except for my VIPs. I am on a roll! :biggrin:

2. diablo85

diablo85 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not seeing anywhere in my smart actions to disable cell data only.

3. droidbound

droidbound Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Now this I find very interesting! I have my 'Home" Smart Action based on location. Similar to yours it then turns off cellular and WiFi on. I'd much rather have my home network be the trigger for 'Home", but then I would have to have wireless turned on all the time, and that's a drain on the battery too!
    Can you elaborate on your setup with the different networks? Do you have your WiFi turned on all the time?
    I wish Smart Actions would include negatives like: "If I am not at this location turn WiFi off". Lots more possibilities with that.

Here's one I tried today: I decided to buy a cheap generic dock for the car this time. It just galls me to throw away all the expensive accessories each time I buy a new phone. Without the D4 dock, car mode will not start up. My workaround so far:
    Triggers are "Charging: any power source" and "Headphones plugged in". I never have the Droid on power when I listen to music, but in my car I connect it via headphone jack to the car stereo and to the car charger.
    Actions: Ringer Volume: 100%, Screen brightness 85%, screen timeout: max, GPS on, Launch Application: Music
    Works great so far! To be able to have 2 or more triggers that need to be true for the action to occur is very cool IMHP.

4. LadyHottShott

LadyHottShott Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It wasn't a preset one that I saw, I had to create it. Trigger... Wi-Fi Connection, actions, Disable Cellular Data

One thing I'm mad about, why can't I get my phone to autoconnect to my wifi at home???

5. droidbound

droidbound Member

Ratings:
    +1
    [QUOTE+
    One thing I'm mad about, why can't I get my phone to autoconnect to my wifi at home???[/QUOTE]

Maybe you missed the prompt to "remember" or "auto connect" to your home network the first time you connected to it? Have you tried long pressing your network and "Forget" it, then reconnect?
    I am testing an app "Verizon WiFi auto connect" (I know, I know - I have a hard time with actually downloading a VZW app instead of trying to get rid of it, too). It's supposed to automatically connect to networks you specify when you get close and turn off WiFi when you leave - your home or office, for example.
    I haven't had time to really test it, just walked around the block, and it worked as advertised on that occasion. I'm not really certain though if the app actually, really turns off the WiFi radio, but other people on the forum had good success with it. Saving battery and such...Very mixed reviews in the Market, possibly due to it not working at all on the Nexus.
    In addition to the VZW app I created a Smart Action for 'Home" triggered by the presence of my home network.
    I had the trigger set by 'location' but I get a creepy feeling about these things: Nobody knows I'm home but me and Verizon... Funny (or creepy) enough, I just made it through the door yesterday and got a 'quality assurance' call from Verizon. Call me paranoid....

6. diablo85

diablo85 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    as a follow-up to why i couldnt see cellular data in my smart action rules, i went through and defrosted all of the bloat on the phone and now i have the option to disable cellular data in smart actions now.... now if i could just figure out what app it was that was preventing it from showing up...

7. LadyHottShott

LadyHottShott Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you missed the prompt to "remember" or "auto connect" to your home network the first time you connected to it? Have you tried long pressing your network and "Forget" it, then reconnect?
    I am testing an app "Verizon WiFi auto connect" (I know, I know - I have a hard time with actually downloading a VZW app instead of trying to get rid of it, too). It's supposed to automatically connect to networks you specify when you get close and turn off WiFi when you leave - your home or office, for example.
    I haven't had time to really test it, just walked around the block, and it worked as advertised on that occasion. I'm not really certain though if the app actually, really turns off the WiFi radio, but other people on the forum had good success with it. Saving battery and such...Very mixed reviews in the Market, possibly due to it not working at all on the Nexus.
    In addition to the VZW app I created a Smart Action for 'Home" triggered by the presence of my home network.
    I had the trigger set by 'location' but I get a creepy feeling about these things: Nobody knows I'm home but me and Verizon... Funny (or creepy) enough, I just made it through the door yesterday and got a 'quality assurance' call from Verizon. Call me paranoid....[/QUOTE]

That's the odd thing, I didn't see an option to auto connect to my wifi at home. Maybe I'm totally loosing it, lol, but I don't see that option.

Let me know how the verizon auto connect works out, I might try that.

lol @ the quality assurance call from Verizon.. they are watching you! :D

8. Scott0719

Scott0719 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm having trouble with the smart action staying on. I have the trigger set to my location and by time and it wont turn on. I would like it to turn wifi off but for some reason it wont do it. In my settings I have Google location services selected. I'm really just trying to save battery while i'm at work. I still want to have the 4G data but i don't need bluetooth or wifi while i'm at work. Anyone have any ideas why it wont turn on? It says its ready to use. Or does anyone have any other suggestions on what I could use to save battery power?

9. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Ya I've noticed some glitches too. Like I have a car setting that will trigger, via bluetooth, 50% brightness and full volume which works. But when I get out of the car to go to the store or something, the bluetooth icon stays on which can cause problems with phone calls. I was trying to call voice mail while in store and I couldn't hear anything. After I turned off bluetooth manually, I could hear the voice mail. But sometimes it's my fault because I create conflicts.

10. Scott0719

Scott0719 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I just deleted the location trigger and will just use the time. I work the same time every day so it doesn't matter. On days I have off I can just turn the action off its not a big deal. If anyone has a solution or suggestions for me though I would still appreciate it.

One other question while i'm thinking about it. When you want to have a location be the trigger and you select your location it saves all the ones you have put in. Is there a way to delete them?

11. djstinso

djstinso Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed a lot of similar problems. I froze a ton of bloatware and then found out I lost 4g all together. I defrosted everything and it came back. Now I am systematically re-freezing everything in an attepmt to figure out which app/apps were the sourse. I am thinking these are some insurance tags verizon put in to keep the bloatware around.

12. pintocat

pintocat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Analytics Viewer needs to be present and unfrozen for the "Cellular Data" to work right, such as with Smart Actions.