What smart actions do you have set?

SANhacker

Reaction score
I set up a trigger for when I get to my house to turn off cellular data since I am connected to my WIFI. Question is when I leave the house and get away from that WIFI will the cellular data come back on, and also is there a way for me to turn off cellular data by myself without smart actions.

I'm doing the same. When I am at home I use the trigger for my home WI FI to turn off cellular data. When I am at work I use the trigger based on the work WI FI network I am attached to. Seems to work just fine and cellular data is turned off based on both triggers. When I am at a restaurant, i.e. no WI FI access, cellular data is turned on. I use SwitchPro Widget to turn on/off data, bluetooth, wireless, GPS, etc. on a manual basis.

Thanks to all posting in this thread as I have learned a lot about Smart Actions I would have never realized.

mikera67

Reaction score
You don't need to manually trigger data away from wifi. Setup a trigger for timeframe allday.
Action data on

When you leave home or anywhere you have a wifi action, this kicks in and turns on data. When you get back to your home, your wifi action kicks in.
I leave wifi on all the time except when the screen is off, then all radios go off saving the most battery, this is the biggest battery saver.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jtpowell

Reaction score
There is also a Verizon Wifi Auto On App that turns wifi off and on for you based on location. I'm assuming it's using cell towers for that. When I get home I get a notification that Wifi Auto on has turned on my Wifi. Then since wifi is on it uses my home AP which I have smart actions for to turn off cellular data.

mikera67

Reaction score
Just tried the Verizon wifi auto on and I like it, just what I need to complete my smart actions. Now I can keep the wifi off away from home, then kick on and my home action kicks in. awesome find!

OP
E

eric.scheman

Reaction score
There is also a Verizon Wifi Auto On App that turns wifi off and on for you based on location. I'm assuming it's using cell towers for that. When I get home I get a notification that Wifi Auto on has turned on my Wifi. Then since wifi is on it uses my home AP which I have smart actions for to turn off cellular data.

The smart actions that require the GPS require wifi to be on too

jtpowell

Reaction score
The smart actions that require the GPS require wifi to be on too
None of this requires GPS. My GPS hasn't been on since I bought this phone. The Auto Wifi most likely uses Cell Towers. A soon as I get to the end of my street I'm out of wifi range that smart action turns my home settings off. As soon as I'm about 1/4 mile away from my house I get a wifi turned off notification from the auto wifi app. When I get to the office Auto turns wifi back on. I talk the elevator up and get on the work access point and work rule kicks in. It's that easy.

mikera67

Reaction score
Tried it last night, traveled to three places I connect to wifi, results are mixed. Had problems with it conflicting with smart actions, they went into a loop turning on and off wifi every ten seconds. Only fix was turning off a few smart actions, which I didn't want to. Three miles from my house it left wifi on saying I was within .01 miles. That's the bad thing about cell tower location. I turned it off for now, may revisit after an update.

Chocula78

Reaction score
I don't want to spend $40 on the car dock, so I created my own smart action to help me out:

TRIGGERS:
Headphones plugged in
Charging Wall Adapter

ACTION:
Ringer set to 100%
WiFi off
GPS On
Cell Data enable
Launch App: Car Home ultra

I just plug in my aux cord from my cd deck and the 12 V charger and my phone goes into dock mode. I'm going to create a custom made dock that has the usb and headphone jack built in so that I don't have to blow my load on a $40 piece of plastic. The only caveat to this action is I never have my headphones in while charging the phone, so the only time this scenario comes up is in my car. This may not be true for everyone.

Luvmyphone

Reaction score
I don't want to spend $40 on the car dock, so I created my own smart action to help me out:

TRIGGERS:
Headphones plugged in
Charging Wall Adapter

ACTION:
Ringer set to 100%
WiFi off
GPS On
Cell Data enable
Launch App: Car Home ultra

I just plug in my aux cord from my cd deck and the 12 V charger and my phone goes into dock mode. I'm going to create a custom made dock that has the usb and headphone jack built in so that I don't have to blow my load on a $40 piece of plastic. The only caveat to this action is I never have my headphones in while charging the phone, so the only time this scenario comes up is in my car. This may not be true for everyone.

So did you purchase the car home app? I wouldn't mind doing this but I'd probably buy a cheap window mount from eBay. I found one for about $11 delivered.

Last edited:

revelated

Reaction score
Smart Actions...I have quite a few. I don't use them for battery conservation overall, rather conservative battery management based on situation, if that makes sense. Never have had a suggestion made because I think I covered every possible scenario. Outsmarted the RAZR :)

Remember, Smart Actions stack. So you can have one action that does X-Y-Z and another action that does W-B, and if both triggers are met, they will stack. Also, because they're triggered events, you have to set certain actions to undo certain other actions - for example, if you disable WiFi entirely on one plan, you can't then use it on another plan that would trigger right after it to set location, without re-enabling WiFi.

My table below outlines how this works.

Smart Action
Triggers
Actions
Description
HomeConnected to my home WiFi
(Better than GPS since I don't
have to care about addresses)
Disable 4G;
Brightness Auto
The logic is, if I'm connected to my home hotspot, I don't need to use 4G at all. That saves battery. I don't need max brightness because of the light. Stacks with "Power", and possibly "Commute".
CommuteTimeframe:
7:40am - 8:15am (To Work) OR
4:30pm - 5:30pm (To Home)
Ringer to 100%;
Wi-Fi off;
GPS off;
Display Timeout 1 minute;
Brightness Auto
In the car the ringer needs to be maximum so I hear calls come in. WiFi is pointless because I'm not near a hotspot. GPS is pointless because I know where I'm going and my weather is hourly updated anyway. Brightness can be auto to conserve power. Stacks with"Work".
In Car OtherHeadphones plugged inRinger to 100%;
Wi-Fi off;
Display Timeout 1 minute;
Brightness Auto;
4G enable;
GPS enable
If it's not during the commute times above, then it's possible I'm in the field going to an assignment or traveling to an unknown place where I may need directions. So I will need data, and I will need GPS. Everything else can be off. I will plug in my line jack so that the phone knows when I'm in the car. Stacks with "Work" with this taking precedence.
WorkTimeframe:
8:00am - 5:00pm
Ringer to vibrate/20%;
Display Timeout 30 seconds;
Brightness Auto;
Bluetooth enable;
GPS enable;
Wi-Fi off;
Background Sync enable;
4G enable
I'm a field tech, so I don't use the screen that much. But I do need to make sure that emails are able to get through without interaction. I can't just disable my signal throughout the day. It has to stay on but everything else (i.e. Bluetooth) can be turned off. I turn GPS on so that I can get to a site if I don't know where it is. Ringer goes down in case I have to go into a meeting. May stack with "In Car Other". If using Mobile Hotspot I put it on the charger and it will stack with "Power".
PowerCharging - any sourceDisplay never timeout;
Brightness 100%
If the phone is being charged, all bets are off as far as the screen goes since Display is usually the #1 battery killer. Stacks with any of the other plans depending on when I charge the phone.
SleepTimeframe:
10:00pm - 5:30am

Charging - any source

Motion Detector
Ringer silent;
4G disable;
Wi-Fi on;
Display never times out;
Brightness to 0%;
GPS off;
Bluetooth off
Chances are, during these hours the phone is serving as my alarm clock. Given that, the only thing I really need is Wi-Fi to make sure to catch any emails so that I see them in the morning when I wake up. Plus I may not actually go to sleep until midnight or so. This plan is overriden by the last plan below and stacks with the plan above.
<blank> Calls...A certain person calls me from
a certain phone number
Ringer to 40%If this person calls, I want to know about it. Everyone else can go to hell. There is one person in there right now and she may call me to talk about things. Those calls often happen during the sleep hours which is why I only set the ringer at 40%. Temporary.

With these configurations, I have pretty much settled in at 15 hours of battery. Not great...but not horrible either. The Bionic without these plans could go 23 hours on the standard battery. I have calibrated the RAZR but realistically I don't expect it to go much higher than 15 without sacrificing my daily workflow, which is unacceptable. I ran it through as my only phone today and it did pretty good.

One thing I notice about the RAZR is that standard phone calls don't destroy the battery as with the Bionic. Not sure why that is exactly.

Last edited:

Deron

Reaction score
Please be aware that if you have a smart action set to turn your ringer off during a certain time, this cannot be overturned by another smart action. If you have an action which turns the ringer to 100% or any percent when a certain person calls, the other action turning the ringer off will win out. In other words, you will miss that call. Test it for yourself. I did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

revelated

Reaction score
Please be aware that if you have a smart action set to turn your ringer off during a certain time, this cannot be overturned by another smart action. If you have an action which turns the ringer to 100% or any percent when a certain person calls, the other action turning the ringer off will win out. In other words, you will miss that call. Test it for yourself. I did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Strange. Worked in my case. The person called, I heard it. After the call, went back to 0% when I put it back on the charger.

EDIT: My bad. I forgot a trigger on that one. It also has Motion Detector, for what it's worth, since as an alarm clock it's assumed that if it's not moving, neither am I, thus the need for the ringer on the designated caller.

Last edited: