Location and Wi-Fi on Razr

bunnyrio

Reaction score
I'm not sure is if this is a general requirement or something that is unique to the Smart Actions function in the Razr buuuuuuttt....for some reason, the location trigger in the requires that Wi-Fi must be on "to accurately detect where you are located". So, if I have an rule (trigger) that is location based and the action I want is to turn off Wi-Fi (to save power) then the trigger fails and the Smart Action (in this case defined for my work location) fails as well.

Since when is Wi-Fi required to detect location? GPS is running. 4G is running. WTF over.....

Anybody else encounted this?

Thanks,
BunnyRio

adrenalnjunky

Reaction score

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm not sure is if this is a general requirement or something that is unique to the Smart Actions function in the Razr buuuuuuttt....for some reason, the location trigger in the requires that Wi-Fi must be on "to accurately detect where you are located". So, if I have an rule (trigger) that is location based and the action I want is to turn off Wi-Fi (to save power) then the trigger fails and the Smart Action (in this case defined for my work location) fails as well.

Since when is Wi-Fi required to detect location? GPS is running. 4G is running. WTF over.....

Anybody else encounted this?

Thanks,
BunnyRio

Try AutomateIt. Works well in conjunction with Smart Actions (SA). You can have it turn WIFI on/off based on your location using either coarse (cellular) or fine (GPS) location, then SA can take it from there. It also gives you ability to set radius around detection locations to fine tune your location. Works great for me when I need location based SA, but there's no WIFI around. Also helps conserve battery by keeping WIFI off most of the time for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
As an alternative, you could have your SA work based on a wifi trigger where you pick if it's on a particular network(s). That would only work if you have certain networks you want this to work for though.

OP
B

bunnyrio

Reaction score
FoxKat....thanks for your response...it is much appreciated.....can you elaborate on your reference to "AutomateIt"? It sounds intriguing but I can't find a reference to this function anywhere. Maybe I'm showing my ignorance on the Droid OS environment....

As an addendum....if you look at the very last entry of the help tab in Smart Actions, there is an reference to Connections stating "If you have rules that use Location or Wi-Fi triggers, the rules will not activate when Location settings or Wi-Fi power are turned off."

But what if you want the rule to turn off the power....seems to be an open-ended do-loop......

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Try AutomateIt. Works well in conjunction with Smart Actions (SA). You can have it turn WIFI on/off based on your location using either coarse (cellular) or fine (GPS) location, then SA can take it from there. It also gives you ability to set radius around detection locations to fine tune your location. Works great for me when I need location based SA, but there's no WIFI around. Also helps conserve battery by keeping WIFI off most of the time for me.

Verizon has an app out that is very similar. I put on my wife's Incred2 and my Razr and it is pretty darn reliable.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon has an app out that is very similar. I put on my wife's Incred2 and my Razr and it is pretty darn reliable.

JP, can you tell us what app you are referring to? Is it a free app, or does it cost money? How does it work in comparison to the AutomateIt?

Thanks. :hail:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
FoxKat....thanks for your response...it is much appreciated.....can you elaborate on your reference to "AutomateIt"? It sounds intriguing but I can't find a reference to this function anywhere. Maybe I'm showing my ignorance on the Droid OS environment....

As an addendum....if you look at the very last entry of the help tab in Smart Actions, there is an reference to Connections stating "If you have rules that use Location or Wi-Fi triggers, the rules will not activate when Location settings or Wi-Fi power are turned off."

But what if you want the rule to turn off the power....seems to be an open-ended do-loop......

You are right. This is by design but is somewhat counterintuitive for at least me and you, and apparently for a lot of other people as well. I see no sense in having WIFI active and searching for hotspots while I am driving 70mph down the turnpike, for instance. Likewise, even if I am walking down a city street in Philadelphia, and even if I do find a hotspot, what are the chances it's an open authentication, and even if it is, unless I stop and stand still or sit down, how long will I have a connnection before it drops due to range? Once it drops, whatever Smart Action which had depended upon it deactivates. For me, that means losing Bluetooth during a call for instance.

It makes far more sense to have the WIFI turned on only when I am in a geographical location where I am authenticated on a known hotspot. The only place where the default method would work well is while on a college campus where WIFI is campus-wide, or in a city where again it is blanketed with WIFI coverage throughout. I don't live in the city, I live in a suburb where any hotspots are generally locked down tight. This is why AutomateIt works well for me. I don't even have to use fine location (GPS), because coarse location (cellular) turns WIFI on as I near my home or work, and it's authenticated by the time I sit down at the desk or my easy chair. Likewise, as I leave those areas, the WIFI shuts down while I'm driving only seconds after leaving.

:happy3:

SallyC

Reaction score
I believe the app JP referenced is Verizon WiFi Auto-On . Says it "automatically turns Wi-Fi radio on when user’s device is within range of locations pre-defined by user. When user leaves the location, device’s Wi-Fi radio will automatically turn off. The application allows user to pre-define locations, and also allows them to edit previously defined location."

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I believe the app JP referenced is Verizon WiFi Auto-On . Says it "automatically turns Wi-Fi radio on when user’s device is within range of locations pre-defined by user. When user leaves the location, device’s Wi-Fi radio will automatically turn off. The application allows user to pre-define locations, and also allows them to edit previously defined location."

Ok, so it looks good for just the purpose of on/off WIFI. Reviews have been less than favorable, but for some, it's been good. I'll give it a go tonight and see how it performs for me. Unfortunately that's all it does, but that may be enough. AutomateIt does a whole lot more and can be a suitable replacement for Smart Actions, but I think SA will win for simplicity.

SallyC

Reaction score
For some reason I misread your original post and thought you wanted to turn off data and turn on wifi at certain locations. But you want wifi off all the time you are at the location?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
For some reason I misread your original post and thought you wanted to turn off data and turn on wifi at certain locations. But you want wifi off all the time you are at the location?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

From what I read, s/he is looking to have WIFI turn off at a specific geographic location (namely the office), but quickly realized that if WIFI was turned off by the SA, then ALL future geographic location based SAs fail, including one which would be intended to turn WIFI back on again at let's say, home for instance. This is why using either AutomateIt or the Verizon's WIFI On/Off tool might be the best option for the OP.