Smart Actions Enhancement Requests

rhizomaticon

Reaction score
I thought we could begin a thread strictly for enhancement requests in hopes we may see these get into the app down the road.

My first one is the blinking LED notification - can we get this as an action to turn it off? I would love to have this in my Sleep Smart Action so the light doesn't wake me up at night (it can...).

Thanks!

Droid Razr Maxx (loving it!)

SANhacker

Reaction score
Since this is a requests thread I'd like to add the following:
I would like to see a "NOT" function.
i.e. I am NOT near my home or work Wi-Fi radios and would like this trigger to turn on cellular data.

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
Two great suggestions. Thanks for adding use cases to go along with the suggestions this helps clarify the idea. The "NOT" function is a popular request and the team is aware of it.

Andielyn

Reaction score
Since this is a requests thread I'd like to add the following:
I would like to see a "NOT" function.
i.e. I am NOT near my home or work Wi-Fi radios and would like this trigger to turn on cellular data.

Ditto on the "not". I can think of so many uses for that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

pookie

Reaction score
How about this. I don't want to leave my wifi on all the time but it's the only way smart actions knows I'm home. I want smart actions to turn on my wifi when I arrive home but it's not an option.
Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pookie,
This is another very popular request, the Smart Actions is aware of this.

mswguitar

Reaction score
I have a few enhancement suggestions:

1. Restore the Call From trigger (instead of the VIP Caller action).

2. More Audio Control - I currently use Audio Manager Pro to set all of my volume levels for different things (work, bed time, in a meeting, etc). I'd love to use Smart Actions for this but it can only modify the Ringer Volume, not the Notification, Media, Alarm, etc.

3. Widgets - I know Smart Actions is supposed to automate tasks, but there are times where I would want to manually activate/deactivate a rule. For example, my boss often calls impromptu meetings, so it would be nice to be able to quickly activate the "Meeting" rule with the touch of a button (even though there would be no corresponding Calendar event).

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I have a few enhancement suggestions:

2. More Audio Control - I currently use Audio Manager Pro to set all of my volume levels for different things (work, bed time, in a meeting, etc). I'd love to use Smart Actions for this but it can only modify the Ringer Volume, not the Notification, Media, Alarm, etc.

+1 Sometimes I like to watch videos when I go to bed and the ringer and notification volumes go down as scheduled, but not media which will waken my wife, because I always forget to turn down the media.

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
mswguitar,
1) can you give me a bit more detail on use case, don't fully understand. Do you mean "Incoming Call" or something else?
2) Captured!
3) Captured!

mswguitar

Reaction score
mswguitar,
1) can you give me a bit more detail on use case, don't fully understand. Do you mean "Incoming Call" or something else?
2) Captured!
3) Captured!

My wife and I both have the RAZR Maxx. She got hers a few weeks before me and had an older version of Smart Actions (a 1.x version I believe). I setup a rule for her that would cause the phone to ring loud whenever my son or I called. I believe this was based on the Incoming Call trigger, and I don't have this trigger on my phone. Instead, it's been replaced with the VIP Caller "action". To me, it seems much more logical to have an Incoming Call trigger that would allow me to do certain actions based on who is calling.

Thanks!

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for describing your use case further.
Your correct, Incoming Calls was replaced with VIP in actions. The two caused conflict and the team opted to remove Incoming Calls due to similar functionality. I've read this has caused heartburn to some users and should be brought back. I have this documented and passed along to the team.

DigitalWarlord

Reaction score
Currently, it seems that if there are conflicts between actions, the actions that were created the latest supersede those created prior (correct me if I'm wrong). This makes it a bit difficult to both select and identify actions that are dominant or recessive.

Would it be difficult to implement a priority level attribute into each action? Either by making this a numerical attribute that can be chosen by the user within the action interface, or a priority based on an ascending order in the main menu interface.

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not really an issue with priority in this case, the trigger and action was causing issues in a deeper multifaceted perspective.
As for prioritizing rules, the beauty of Smart Actions is that the system is designed to auto-prioritize so the user doesn't have to worry about such things. But if there is a strong need to have the capability of manually prioritizing rules we could implement it exactly the way you described. This is something that we are aware of and if users want it then we can "prioritize" it on our list. Ha, get it.

AngeloScuro

Reaction score
Logic Functions

Along with the NOT function, the ability to use "OR" would be very helpful. For example: Location: Home OR Time frame. Basically if you guys could implement all logic functions (not just NOT) that would be great.

Just got my droid maxx yesterday and classes are interfering with me playing with it (stupid college) but I love it so far!!

Edit:
Just thought of a better example for the OR argument. I use smart actions to automatically mute my phone when I am in class, I have many breaks in my class schedule so I have to create a new action for each timeframe (class time) so if I could set multiple timeframes (9-10:15 OR 11-12:15 or 3:30-4:45) and multiple locations (1. to make sure I am actually in class 2. I have classes across two campuses) so it will look something like this:

Timeframe: 9-10:15
Location 1
OR
Timeframe 11-12:15
Lacation 2

Obviously this is just a neatness thing and has the ability to be worked around (creating multiple actions) so its not a huge issue, just a suggestion =)

Last edited:
OP
R

rhizomaticon

Reaction score
Angelo-

Have you tried the calendar event trigger? If you put your classes on your calendar and use this trigger, you won't need tp build all the timeframes. Works fantastically for me at work. The calendar integration is one of the best features of SmartActions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums