Since the leaked update...

Mooselodge24

Reaction score
I rooted my phone and put the leaked GB update, also changed the overclock settings on my DX. well for 2 days it worked perfectly fine, no issues at all. battery was lasting great. the past 2 days, it's been resetting off n on at completely random times. Anyone have an idea of this or how i can poss fix? Thanks ahead of time!

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I rooted my phone and put the leaked GB update, also changed the overclock settings on my DX. well for 2 days it worked perfectly fine, no issues at all. battery was lasting great. the past 2 days, it's been resetting off n on at completely random times. Anyone have an idea of this or how i can poss fix? Thanks ahead of time!

Yeah, stop overclocking your phone. Seriously, what's the point? Bragging rights? A higher score in an artificial benchmark that really doesn't translate to real world performance? Just to do it?

I enjoyed overclocking PC's for many years. First chip I overclocked was a Cyrix CPU, a PR166 to be exact, so that is how long ago I started. LOL

But after awhile, the return on the investment, especially when it doesn't make a real difference on actual usage other than instability or reboots, just doesn't make sense. If you had an original Droid and it prolonged the life span of the device by making it fast enough to be usable on the latest version of the OS, then it makes sense.

But on a DX?

People get caught up in it, and worrying about Quadrant scores when at the end of the day it doesn't make the phone surf the web any faster. It doesn't play music or watch a movie any better. Doesn't make the phone calls better.

All it does it create extra heat, chew up your battery faster and cause spontaneous reboots. So when you looks at the cons, and the pros just aren't there, does it make sense to do it?

I tried it, I figured, "Hey, free performance"... But the only thing it did was make my phone reboot itself randomly. I clocked it back to stock, no more reboots.

OP
Mooselodge24

Mooselodge24

Reaction score
I was jus trying it for battery life n such... so im asking, how do I fix the overclocking to go back to the no reboots?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

A

abn75

He pretty much answered you. If it reboots and you think its from being over clocked set it back stock and see if that fixes it. If it does you can use the profiles in the oc app to set up changes and keep it at stock levels.

Sent from my DX running. DS V4.2

OP
Mooselodge24

Mooselodge24

Reaction score
But what is the stock ia what im asking. Sry I didn't clarify

BodyBagz

Reaction score
But what is the stock ia what im asking. Sry I didn't clarify

So you overclocked your phone, and didnt even bother to verify what the stock clock speed was prior to doing so?:icon_eek:

Really? You didnt see any promos or advertisements prior to buying the phone that showed the advertised processor speed? Didnt read the box the phone came in and see it listed in the device specifications? Amazing if you think about it...:icon_eek:

And people wonder why a place such as Droid Forums needs to exist...:dry:

To answer the question...1000mhz...or 1ghz is maxspeed, minimum is will be from 0-300mhz depending....

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Or, you didn't look at the included profiles and pick the one that says "Stock"? LOL

OP
Mooselodge24

Mooselodge24

Reaction score
honestly don't see that listed at first... it's listed as default and i was driving around when i was tryin to mess with it. my bad

pin0y23

Reaction score
Give him a break, obviously he could have done a lot of things, one of us at one point had to ask a question sooner or later, so what seems like insulting his intelligence isn't going to do anything... On topic the only time my phone had ever rebooted itself while in oc was when the processor was overclocked too high. So maybe if you do want to oc it trying over clocking at a lower frequency. I've gotten mine to run at 1.3 for a decent amount of time, battery got kind of hour every now and then so I toned it down to 1.2 or 1.25 on low voltage, and it ran peachy. Apparently I heard some xs can be oced more than others so it just depends on if you're lucky or not?

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
Hahahahaha....that guy a few posts up, what a clown...jk

First off, im running 1.15 Ghz at stock voltage. My phone has been overclocked from the day I figured out how to root. Havent had and major issues with it.

So not all DX's or any other devices are the same, some phones will work flawlessly with these tweaks n modifications, and others wont play nice.

Back to the OP's ?
Try uninstallin and reinstallin the OC app u have on ur phone, see if that works.

...or u might want to try going into Factory Recovery and doing a factory reset, this option was suggested by the Devs who dropped the leaked GingerBread...

Try that and see what happens..

(Sent From a Rooted GB_DROID X)

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
Sorry bro u had to get flammed by these fellows that are so insecure about them selfs that they need to put some one else down so they can feel bigger.

The straight answer to ur question is either sbf back to stock n start over again, or just reflash ur rom but dnt over clock and see if that's the problem or set it to 800Mhz that's the stock clock on ur DX.

However if ur phone has ever heated above 50'C I suggest u call Big Red and try to get a replacement bcuz ur CPU would most likely be damaged by the heat since the CPU max heat capacity is 35'C and your batterys max is 45'C. Just dnt tellem u have messed wit the phone, just say it started doing it by it self n it turns off.

honestly don't see that listed at first... it's listed as default and i was driving around when i was tryin to mess with it. my bad

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
Mooselodge24

Mooselodge24

Reaction score
Thanks to the few of you who attempted to help as person to person and not God to scum. I've defaulted back and its been fine.

To the cpl of higher beings on here, I forgot im retarded bc I wasn't gifted wit overclockin as a 2nd language and should know everything about a phone. I guess some of u jus knew everything about them without having to ask others ANYTHING.

Hateslinger

Reaction score
I would install another kernel.

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt, VirusROM AirborneTB

Natey2

Reaction score

Yeah, stop overclocking your phone. Seriously, what's the point? Bragging rights? A higher score in an artificial benchmark that really doesn't translate to real world performance? Just to do it?

I enjoyed overclocking PC's for many years. First chip I overclocked was a Cyrix CPU, a PR166 to be exact, so that is how long ago I started. LOL

But after awhile, the return on the investment, especially when it doesn't make a real difference on actual usage other than instability or reboots, just doesn't make sense. If you had an original Droid and it prolonged the life span of the device by making it fast enough to be usable on the latest version of the OS, then it makes sense.

But on a DX?

People get caught up in it, and worrying about Quadrant scores when at the end of the day it doesn't make the phone surf the web any faster. It doesn't play music or watch a movie any better. Doesn't make the phone calls better.

All it does it create extra heat, chew up your battery faster and cause spontaneous reboots. So when you looks at the cons, and the pros just aren't there, does it make sense to do it?

I tried it, I figured, "Hey, free performance"... But the only thing it did was make my phone reboot itself randomly. I clocked it back to stock, no more reboots.

+1

I also recall people overclocking their PCs so much that components actually melted because of the heat.

Anyone who really needs speed should consider an Intel Core i7.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the few of you who attempted to help as person to person and not God to scum. I've defaulted back and its been fine.

To the cpl of higher beings on here, I forgot im retarded bc I wasn't gifted wit overclockin as a 2nd language and should know everything about a phone. I guess some of u jus knew everything about them without having to ask others ANYTHING.

Here is the thing, and try to take this as constructive criticism...

1) If you overclock, you should know the basics. You should know why you are doing it, the consequences and some of the settings, or else you can quickly run into problems. You are altering your CPU and running it beyond the specs of the manufacturer. It will draw more current, which drains the battery faster, makes more heat, which causes more instability and can shorten the life of the CPU, etc...

2) If you choose to overclock and the phone becomes unstable, and you post a thread asking why your overclocked phone is unstable, you should sort of expect a smartass comment like "Stop overclocking your phone knucklehead". It was intended in a good natured fashion, but the point was valid.

3) If you don't know what your phone's CPU runs at or what speed "stock" is, then we are back to my first point... Before you start messing with the phone, know the basics. And when overclocking, at least knowing what the starting speed is, should be a no-brainer.

Personally, I think that overclocking is over-rated. I see people in the PC community still at it, using liquid nitrogen to cool the CPU and keep it from going up in smoke, they alter the OS itself to make it appear faster, they have unstable systems that they are lucky if it can last long enough to run the lame benchmark before it BSOD's, and all for what? To brag to other geeks living in their parent's basement that also are not getting laid? LOL

You bought a fast phone, enjoy it. ROM it, tweak it and get it the way you want, but overclocking does nothing for you. Won't make it take better pictures. Won't make the calls sound better. Won't boost your signal. Won't increase your internet speeds, help you text faster, make your music sound better, etc...

All it will do is drain your battery faster, make it run hotter, and make it reboot itself. There's no upside to overclocking this phone other than being able to brag to someone that your phone runs at 1.2Ghz.

And when you are doing that and your phone call cuts off because your phone rebooted itself, it sorta loses its luster pretty quickly at that point. haha