Root for DroidX Leaked 2.2

shadowx582

Reaction score
So I downloaded the leaked android 2.2 before moto put the cease and desist order on that website. At that time rooting the phone didn't seem very viable for me as I've never rooted a phone before and didn't want to mess it up.

Since then I've read a lot more on the subject and feel confident that I could root the phone without messing it up. But my question is, is there anyone out there that has this leaked update that has rooted their phone after applying the update, and if so was there anything they did different from the guides to compensate for the update?

Thanks for any help.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ive seen the D2 method working for DX 2.2

ArmyDude

Reaction score
ive seen the D2 method working for DX 2.2
Agreed. I had 2.1 on my phone... rooted... then installed leaked 2.2

I'm guessing I missed copying one of the files... even though I did copy the su to the system/xbin folder.

Anyway... long story short... I used the D2 method to finish the job. dancedroid

OP
S

shadowx582

Reaction score
Thanks armydude.

Just to clear something up though, I'm thinking you were stating once you upgraded to leaked update for whatever reason you didn't have root. Then you followed the d2 methods and you had root right?

Just wanted to clarify you didn't have root when updated to the leaked version first.

Thanks again

ArmyDude

Reaction score
That's correct. When I was at base 2.1, I rooted and tested. All worked fine. Copied the su file to the system/xbin folder... and then ran the 2.2 update. At that point, none of my applications that required root would work. ADB couldn't get root access either. Then I ran the Droid 2 hack.... and it rooted just fine. Been working great ever since.dancedroid

ArmyDude

Reaction score
dancedroidI decided to wipe and redo my phone.... for my own fun... lol... and went straight to 2.2 without rooting. Ran the Droid 2 root method as we have been discussing.... and it worked perfectly.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
dancedroidI decided to wipe and redo my phone.... for my own fun... lol... and went straight to 2.2 without rooting. Ran the Droid 2 root method as we have been discussing.... and it worked perfectly.

haha glad to see it works :)

jonesj198

Reaction score
Can someone post the link for the easiest D2 root method for 2.2 on my X. Thanks a ton

spider210

Reaction score
So where can I find this leaked file?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Arcstriker

Reaction score
So where can I find this leaked file?

A good place to look for a quick guide to root,2.2, and more... start here Droid X

or if your rooted 2.1, install/run bootstrap, then install/run Rom Manager, flash ClockworkMod Recovery then go to Download Roms, Stock Images, Verizon Droid 2.2

Good Luck

spider210

Reaction score
So I am rooted on 2.1 so according to the website it says I can apply the update and keep my root???

Arcstriker

Reaction score
Yes, if you go by the instructions on the web page, and move the proper files, also assuming your familiar with ADB. If not, then your best bet is just to get Bootstrap and Rom Manager and go that route. Its so much easier to just let rom manager do everything for you.

spider210

Reaction score
It says

"
If you already have root, and want to install the 2.2 leak but keep root
FROM A ROOTED PHONE:
  1. Run "adb shell"
  2. Run "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/system /system"
  3. Run "mv /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"
  4. Copy the update.zip (download below) to your sdcard
  5. Reboot into recovery (power down - hold volume down and home button and press the power button)
  6. Run update.zip"

So does that mean if I run the update I'll be rooted still after the update or no?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It says

If you already have root, and want to install the 2.2 leak but keep root

So does that mean if I run the update I'll be rooted still after the update or no?

you can answer your own question lol