Should i get the motorola or waith for nexus one

dusbbal2008

Reaction score
Contract isn't tied to the Droid, but you would have to pay full price for the Nexus, as you won't be able to use your update on your plan.

Thanks for your help...yea I realize I'd have to pay full price but I could recoup some of the cost if I sell the droid...I don't know if I would actually want to do it it is just nice knowing I have an option

qoncept

Reaction score
While the specs are better on the N1, I personally like the physical design and keyboard better on the Droid. Angular, metal, glass, heavy.

Like everyone else has said, it's all personal preference.
Isn't the Nexus One made out of aluminum? It's lighter but I'm pretty sure it's not flimsier.

It hasnt been mentioned yet, but the Nexus One has an AMOLED screen. That means it should actually be usable as a night time clock instead of way to bright even with hacks on the Droid.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
By the time the Nexus hits VZW there most likely will be other phones you might be interested in. I'd Droid now, and see what comes down the pipeline later. :)

Selling your Droid will help recoup having to pay full price for another device.

M

Matth3w

I bought my Droid used from eBay for 370 bucks with no contract, and it works perfect. I'd go that route rather than getting the Droid with the contract and reselling it. Reason being, with a contract you're still spending 200 last I checked from Verizon. When the N1 comes it will probably be more expensive. I would say that you would save more money buying the Droid used or at least with no contract from eBay with a seller with 100% feedback than getting the Droid via contract and buying the N1 without when it comes.

For example a brand new Droid on eBay with no contract right now is about 550 bucks give or take. A Nexus One is 650-700.

So you would do better to buy the Droid off of contract...you would save more money in the long run.

New Droid 550....you might be able to sell this used later and use the money WITH a contract to basically get the N1 "for free". If you get the Droid on contract now and sell it used when the N1 comes, you will get say 200 bucks but then you still need to fork over at least 300 more bucks to get the N1 with no contract. Easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

katucker89

Reaction score
The external speaker on the Droid is much higher quality than Nexus. I am a musician and in my guitar ensemble I used a metronome on the Droid for 5 guitar players to play along to because our drummer didn't show up. This thing is loud! I also prefer the design of the Droid and have heard that the Nexus doesn't feel as solidly built. Plus the physical keyboard. No matter how much I love my Droid, Nexus still makes me a little jealous though, mostly because it has double the memory. With a little bit of work, the processors are the same speed now.:motdroidhoriz:

qoncept

Reaction score
I got mine a few days after it was released on ebay for $450 without a micro SD card. I wish Verizon offered the lower price without a subsidized phone like T-Mobile.

OP
F

fantom557

Reaction score
Thank you all for great responses i am going to add a 2nd line for the droid to see if i like it. i can always sell it and i am sure i will like it.

M

Matth3w

Please re-read my post #19....it makes more sense financially to buy the Droid out of contract than it does to buy the Nexus out of contract. It will cost you more money in the long run if you get the Droid with a new contract and buy the Nexus out of contract than it will the other way around because the Nexus is around 33% or so more expensive...if you plan to get the Nexus when it comes out.

Your choice though.

OP
F

fantom557

Reaction score
Please re-read my post #19....it makes more sense financially to buy the Droid out of contract than it does to buy the Nexus out of contract. It will cost you more money in the long run if you get the Droid with a new contract and buy the Nexus out of contract than it will the other way around because the Nexus is around 33% or so more expensive...if you plan to get the Nexus when it comes out.

Your choice though.
Money is not issue. but thanks for your points well done. i had iphone for 2 years and i misses the key pad.

droidtom

Reaction score
I debated the same thing and decided that it wasn't worth it to wait for me. I am very happy with the droid and don't see where there's anything that it will not do for me. It's a great phone and should keep me very happy till my next upgrade.

OP
F

fantom557

Reaction score
since i am new to the droid market and you all see to be very knowledgeable are there a few web sites i should know about other then this forum for apps and stuff. if so can you recommended i see that there are many but who know whats great vs just good sites.

again thank you all.

M

Matth3w

Your choice though.
Money is not issue. but thanks for your points well done. i had iphone for 2 years and i misses the key pad.
If money isn't an issue then why go through the hassle of setting up a new line and all that? Just buy the phone out of contract. If you don't like it, put it back on eBay.

I know VZW gives you 30 days but you still have to pay the activation fee, and you know there is a good chance that some customer service rep could screw up your bill...the other way you aren't pressured by the 30 day window.

Just my opinion

OP
F

fantom557

Reaction score

Your choice though.
If money isn't an issue then why go through the hassle of setting up a new line and all that? Just buy the phone out of contract. If you don't like it, put it back on eBay.

I know VZW gives you 30 days but you still have to pay the activation fee, and you know there is a good chance that some customer service rep could screw up your bill...the other way you aren't pressured by the 30 day window.

Just my opinion
because i have a 2nd line with AT&T and i want to move it over to VZ. i can go to AT&T for the droid but i hate them.