Should I get a nexus?

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
I am on Verizon and I am do for an upgrade from my DROIDX. My wife will only let me upgrade to a free phone, and I see that the nexus is free right now from BB. I hope I can keep my unlimited data too, but it's a fat chance from what I have seen. Or should I just wait longer and see when the galaxy s3 becomes free? What do you guys think? I do know how to root and rom phones so.... Do you like your nexus? Who's battery life? Mine sucks! Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

seems like ur wife and mine are one the same wave length....lol

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
For me the larger screen jumps out over a 4.3 inch display. Dont really have to squint to see it!

2pyu6ao.jpg

Great comparison! Thanks for that pic. I haven't been to the store yet, but my upgrade is due until the 18th. Hopefully they can let me upgrade a few days early.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has a nexus from, cough cough, sprint? Since I might not be able to keep unlimited data from Verizon and sprint offers unlimited LTE. I live in San Antonio, so LTE should be working here.

Nope, only Verizon users for the most part at DF.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Great comparison! Thanks for that pic. I haven't been to the store yet, but my upgrade is due until the 18th. Hopefully they can let me upgrade a few days early.

If you upgrade to their new tiered plans I'm sure they'll be happy to help you upgrade earlier.:icon_evil:

jpd

Reaction score
I am on Verizon and I am do for an upgrade from my DROIDX. My wife will only let me upgrade to a free phone, and I see that the nexus is free right now from BB. I hope I can keep my unlimited data too, but it's a fat chance from what I have seen. Or should I just wait longer and see when the galaxy s3 becomes free? What do you guys think? I do know how to root and rom phones so.... Do you like your nexus? Who's battery life? Mine sucks! Thanks.

I'm not positive but I think phones from best buy are only free if you are opening a new account. Someting to look into to be sure

edit to add... nevermind, looked it up, it's with a new contract, not a new activation.

Last edited:

CBMGGM

Reaction score
I am also considering the Nexus. Currently have the Bionic; solid phone but there are some issues that keep rearing it's ugly head. The headphone jack squeal/hiss is very annoying (hardware design flaw); my CLN replacement has the same problem as well as BSOD now..... Never had this before and my data drops are back with vengence even with the ICS leak installed. My phone is still under warranty and VZW is offering the Nexus as an alternate choice if I decide to go down that road. Oh and they offered the Razr (not the Maxx) and the TB (their kidding right?) as well. Any feedback is appreciated.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If they're offering you a Nexus as a replacement I'd say go for it. Your luck with Bionics haven't been the best, I would just give a new model a shot.

If you want to stick with Moto, the Razr is a solid phone too. For me though, the screen was a dealbreaker.

CBMGGM

Reaction score
That was where I was leading to as well. Razr's screen and sealed battery are a no-go for me; and the TB is totally worthless. I appreciate your opinion; next stop VZW Tech Services phone call. Thanks again dezymond :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That was where I was leading to as well. Razr's screen and sealed battery are a no-go for me; and the TB is totally worthless. I appreciate your opinion; next stop VZW Tech Services phone call. Thanks again dezymond :)
Well if you are opting for the Nexus I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Just keep in mind Samsung's radios aren't as good at Moto's. Also the battery life is pretty mediocre out of the box. If you need help rooting and ROMing, just take a look at the Dev section. If you got a Nexus, ROMs are the way to go. And also JellyBean, if that doesn't convince you then I don't know what will.

CBMGGM

Reaction score
I know it's hard to beat Moto's radios, they have been doing radios for a long long time. I remember the '80's being a truckdriver using my trusty Moto 2-way radio; those were the days....... I can probably live with Samsung's radio, getting a bigger battery, and an unlocked bootloader is a big plus as well. I've had Moto's for so long this will be a welcome change.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Eh, the radios in the Nexus have been great for me. I made the switch from Moto and have never looked back!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Eh, the radios in the Nexus have been great for me. I made the switch from Moto and have never looked back!
Mine as well, but since it's a known "issue" I just warn others about. I can only speak for myself when it comes to getting a good solid signal.

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
I went to BB Yesterday and checked out re phones. Unfortunately the nexus is not live, just a dummy phone, but the S3 was. That's a sharp and fast phone! But they want $199, so that's a no go. I only have 7 days to wait to upgrade, but they said that I had to wait, while Verizon said I could upgrade today but they have the Nexus for $199.

CBMGGM

Reaction score
Well I couldn't accept my second replacement Bionic; it had a 27/11 build date.... yikes a 14 month old phone. I didn't even activate it. Called VZW; getting my Nexus tomorrow. Yay! :)