Should I get a nexus?

en28so

Reaction score
I am on Verizon and I am do for an upgrade from my DROIDX. My wife will only let me upgrade to a free phone, and I see that the nexus is free right now from BB. I hope I can keep my unlimited data too, but it's a fat chance from what I have seen. Or should I just wait longer and see when the galaxy s3 becomes free? What do you guys think? I do know how to root and rom phones so.... Do you like your nexus? Who's battery life? Mine sucks! Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I upgraded from the Droid X back in April, RIGHT before it even dropped below the $200 mark, and I really dig it. The pure Android experience is great...there were a couple things I initially missed in moving from the X but I guess they were so minor that I don't even remember what they were. LOL.

I did decide to go with the extended battery for the Nexus...it smooths the back of the phone out so it doesn't look like a big hump coming off of it. Very streamlined. The duration is very good now...I did recently experience an odd issue where the battery would practically be dead after 9 hours but that was apparently caused by some services hanging. After a reboot thins seem to be back to normal and I could probably go 24 hours before getting into the red zone.

I have no regrets personally. I think I'm gonna hang on to this as long as possible before spending additional money now to upgrade.

I just can't wait till Verizon okays the Jellybean update.

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
I upgraded from the Droid X back in April, RIGHT before it even dropped below the $200 mark, and I really dig it. The pure Android experience is great...there were a couple things I initially missed in moving from the X but I guess they were so minor that I don't even remember what they were. LOL.

I did decide to go with the extended battery for the Nexus...it smooths the back of the phone out so it doesn't look like a big hump coming off of it. Very streamlined. The duration is very good now...I did recently experience an odd issue where the battery would practically be dead after 9 hours but that was apparently caused by some services hanging. After a reboot thins seem to be back to normal and I could probably go 24 hours before getting into the red zone.

I have no regrets personally. I think I'm gonna hang on to this as long as possible before spending additional money now to upgrade.

I just can't wait till Verizon okays the Jellybean update.

Thanks. The screen on the nexus looks smaller due to the soft key buttons correct? Do you have a 16gb model? No sd card right? And no international roaming? Not like the DROID razor.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I came from the X as well and I'm nuts about this phone. To me the display seems much larger than the small increase numbers suggest. I have the extended battery and with the right rom / kernel you can achieve some great battery life. This phone rocks and especially for free!

warped1987

Reaction score
I just got mine today and have been on my wifi all day and loving it, just turned the wifi off to try the 3G and I'm not getting anything, and my wifi signal has been poor on this phone compared to my incredible 2,if this is how it is then I'm returning it tomorrow unfortunately

warped1987

Reaction score
Nevermind, I just solved my own problem, and I'm pretty proud of myself for it actually lol. I just switched the Network from LTE/CDMA to CDMA only and my 3G is connecting fine for now. Since theres no 4G in my area yet I don't need it anyways. I can deal with the wifi signal being a little weaker while in my Bedroom upstairs away from the router, I get full wifi sitting in the living room where the router is anyways. So I guess I am back to loving this phone, lol

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Nevermind, I just solved my own problem, and I'm pretty proud of myself for it actually lol. I just switched the Network from LTE/CDMA to CDMA only and my 3G is connecting fine for now. Since theres no 4G in my area yet I don't need it anyways. I can deal with the wifi signal being a little weaker while in my Bedroom upstairs away from the router, I get full wifi sitting in the living room where the router is anyways. So I guess I am back to loving this phone, lol

That was quite the rollercoaster ride! At least it was short! :p

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
Well, what's funny is that I haven't even held a nexus on my hand yet. But it seems like you are all happy with your nexus. Time to go to the store for a test drive. It will have to be my phone for at least 18-24 months. My DROIDX X is showing it's age with constant rebooting and freezing! It's almost two years old, which in phone years is probably like 100 lol!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I really enjoy my nexus as well. The main complaints that people have are battery life and connection, neither of which I have issues with but a lot of this has to do with peoples usage and the area they are.

I consider myself moderate user who is on WiFi a lot, as a result I usually get a full day out of it. And my area is on the fringe of 4g so I get a lot of switching but not bad enough that it bothers me.

But in the end its all what you like. Definitely go and check them out because and the end of the day if it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't.

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_NEXUS 7

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
I've had mine for about a month now... my experience is very similar to jsm9872. It certainly doesn't last as long battery-wise as my poor old D1, and some of the differences between the android operating system took getting used to, however this phone runs well enough that I don't feel compelled to unlock and root it just yet. Although if a different kernel helps the power management I may rethink that. ICS is definitely a vast improvement... Voice to text for things like this forum while not perfect have improved as well. No phone is perfect but this is a good phone.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
en28so said:
Thanks. The screen on the nexus looks smaller due to the soft key buttons correct? Do you have a 16gb model? No sd card right? And no international roaming? Not like the DROID razor.

It may seem smaller due to the soft keys but I believe the overall screen size on the Nexus is 4.6 vs the X's 4.3 so it kinda evens out. I could be mistaken though.

My Nexus is 32 GB...I think all the Verizon Nexus are 32...

No international spec on this phone, no. Not a big deal for me since I have yet to leave American borders...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
All Verizon Nexus are 32gb.

As for screen size, in most apps the softkeys stay, but video it disappears to increase the overall screen size. You won't really notice the difference between the X and Nexus regarding screen size. Now quality wise, world of difference.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
For me the larger screen jumps out over a 4.3 inch display. Dont really have to squint to see it!

2pyu6ao.jpg

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has a nexus from, cough cough, sprint? Since I might not be able to keep unlimited data from Verizon and sprint offers unlimited LTE. I live in San Antonio, so LTE should be working here.

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
just baught mine today will get it Wednesday i got the extendeded battery also i hope i have the same positive expierence as all of u have had