Should I overclock my nexus to 1.5

nadav64

Reaction score
I was wondering if I should overclock my galaxy nexus back to 1.5. I mean for the only reason they do it was to save my battery life so if I don't want to save battery life then it wouldn't do any harm right?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I don't believe there is a stable way to overclock to 1.5ghz quite yet...

OP
N

nadav64

Reaction score
I don't believe there is a stable way to overclock to 1.5ghz quite yet...

Isn't the nexus under clocked from 1.5 to 1.2? If that's the case why do I need a stable way to underclock it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because it's undervolted as well as underclocked to 1.2ghz. If you try to run 1.5ghz with 1.2ghz voltages, then it won't be stable.

Hence, there isn't a stable way to run it at 1.5Ghz until someone releases proper voltages for it to run stable.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I've heard anything past 1.3ghz causes problems on the phone.

Creed

Reaction score
Because it's undervolted as well as underclocked to 1.2ghz. If you try to run 1.5ghz with 1.2ghz voltages, then it won't be stable.

Hence, there isn't a stable way to run it at 1.5Ghz until someone releases proper voltages for it to run stable.
While it is true that the processor is undervolted by default those settings can easily be modified. The main reason behind the inability to overclock past 1.42 has to do with the way the OMAP sets the clock speed and how ICS interacts with it (OMAP would clock 1.5GHz at 3.0GHz and then the DCC would divide by two - unfortunately, the phone is unwilling to go past 3.0GHz so instead crashed. It is more complicated than that but undervolting has nothing to do with it.)

To the OP: Try derkernels.com - while overclocking has adverse side effects over the long term if you want to try it out do so there. The GPU is set to 384 or 512 (although the 512 is actually closer to around 480) and the CPU can go up to 1.42 GHz. If battery life does not matter at all set the governor to performance. If it does, but less, choose on demand.

For reference the default clock speeds are 307MHz and 1.2GHz respectively.

If you really want to test out past 1.5GHz you can - but be warned, I did some experimenting and not only did my phone burn but it also was crashing every 10 minutes.

I would not do ANY OF THIS if you cannot ADB and Fasboot like a pro.

SniperDroid

Reaction score
Let's make this real simple people... Stupid is, as Stupid Does... What phone did you have before that was sooooo fast that going from 1.2 to 1.5 makes a real noticeable difference? I came from an OG Droid... 1.2 is WARP 9.9 for me.... get relevant. Don't wack the phone just because you can...

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed, simple answer: It's not necessary.

You'd have to adjust the voltages, which you aren't capable of doing and apparently the way the OMAP bios multipliers work, 1.5 seems to be impossible currently.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Agreed, simple answer: It's not necessary.

You'd have to adjust the voltages, which you aren't capable of doing and apparently the way the OMAP bios multipliers work, 1.5 seems to be impossible currently.

Yep. Why? 1.2 is fine.
I have a 1.35ghz kernel at the moment and I still keep it set at 1.2. I just don't see a need to really go past that.

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Im running at 1.42 right now just fine. Why do i run it that high? Cause i want too.....will i run it at 1.5 when we can? yep. Will i run it at 1.8 if we can? YES!DancingNexus

Will it shorten the life of my phone....maybe...i have insurance. I have a extended battery...I get good enough battery life.

I undervolt at 750 at 350mhz and +25 the 1350 and 1420mhz and use hot plug.

mc3 runs better overclocked with gpu atleast at 384.

ksaul

Reaction score
I just rooted my gnexus last week and was unaware overclocking was possible (duh ksaul...) on phones and now I'm pheining for it lol

So I don't mean to hijack your thread OP but what are the factory set levels and what is the "safest" increase to the processor? Is overclocking even noticeable enough to take on the risk of it all..
Is it possible to overclock the memory on our phones too (might be a dumb question :-/)

And finally how do I overclock my gnexus? I know there are kernels I can flash or whatever but isn't there a script or something I can run, know what I mean..? I'd prefer to stay away from replacing my kernel if at all possible

(Sorry again OP if I hijacked ur thread)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums while driving.
"Do not attempt. Texting and driving was preformed by a professional."

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Im running at 1.42 right now just fine. Why do i run it that high? Cause i want too.....will i run it at 1.5 when we can? yep. Will i run it at 1.8 if we can? YES!DancingNexus

I will be right there with ya in that boat! Cant wait! (I'll bring the beer)

Creed

Reaction score
I just rooted my gnexus last week and was unaware overclocking was possible (duh ksaul...) on phones and now I'm pheining for it lol

So I don't mean to hijack your thread OP but what are the factory set levels and what is the "safest" increase to the processor? Is overclocking even noticeable enough to take on the risk of it all..
Is it possible to overclock the memory on our phones too (might be a dumb question :-/)

And finally how do I overclock my gnexus? I know there are kernels I can flash or whatever but isn't there a script or something I can run, know what I mean..? I'd prefer to stay away from replacing my kernel if at all possible

(Sorry again OP if I hijacked ur thread)

First: Factory set leves for your processor are 350MHz, 700MHz, 920MHz and 1.2GHz with the default governor being conservative.

Two: Anything under 1.5GHz is not technically under-clocking as the processor in the Nexus should natively run at 1.5GHz perfectly.

Three: No, it is not worth the risk unless you very much need every increase you can get. But (and this is good) there is ALMOST no risk at all that you will fry things.

Four: To overclock the nexus you have to download an app like 'no frills' or 'set cpu' and also, unfortunately, download a new kernel that has a new slot such as 1.42GHz or 1.35GHz (or 1.5GHz if you feel risky!)

Five: If you want to overclock you are going to have to get used to flashing new kernels. Sorry.

Six: You cannot overclock RAM but you can over clock the GPU up to 512MHz so far.

ksaul

Reaction score
First: Factory set leves for your processor are 350MHz, 700MHz, 920MHz and 1.2GHz with the default governor being conservative.

Two: Anything under 1.5GHz is not technically under-clocking as the processor in the Nexus should natively run at 1.5GHz perfectly.

Three: No, it is not worth the risk unless you very much need every increase you can get. But (and this is good) there is ALMOST no risk at all that you will fry things.

Four: To overclock the nexus you have to download an app like 'no frills' or 'set cpu' and also, unfortunately, download a new kernel that has a new slot such as 1.42GHz or 1.35GHz (or 1.5GHz if you feel risky!)

Five: If you want to overclock you are going to have to get used to flashing new kernels. Sorry.

Six: You cannot overclock RAM but you can over clock the GPU up to 512MHz so far.

Wow! This is great thank you so much for the detailed reply!!

I am a bit confused with a few things u said:
Answer #1: so what is my phone set to? Does it alternate between all those levels periodically during phone use, or how does it work? Is it possible to manually set it to be static on the highest option?

Answer #3: " No, it is not worth the risk unless you very much need every increase you can get." - don't we all need every increase we can get??!! Haha but seriously can u further explain what you mean? I feel as if my phone is already pretty speedy but I wouldn't mind moving through the app drawer faster!

Answer #6: what are the factory GPU set at? Will overclocking the GPU be noticeable? And is that only accomplished via kernel too?

I would love to beef up my nexus and take full advantage of my newly rooted device (and my first/only one) and get the most out of it as I can.

Thank you again for the detailed response!

Creed

Reaction score
Answer #1: so what is my phone set to? Does it alternate between all those levels periodically during phone use, or how does it work? Is it possible to manually set it to be static on the highest option?

Let say you are swiping from homescreen to homescreen, you phone is probably at 350MHz but now you decide you are bored because otherwise you wouldn't be swiping through homescreens and you open an app! Immediately, you phone boosts the CPU to a full 1200MHz to try to open the software as fast as it can, once it is open it then goes back to to 350MHz until it is once more needed. It is possible to set it on a static option but only if you are rooted! If you are rooted then download no frills and instead of dragging the maximum and the minimum both to 1200MHz set the bottom to 350MHz and the top to 1.2GHz but set the governor to performance. This is ideal because it lets it stay nice and quiet at 350MHz while sleeping but when your phone is up, its up! It is also ideal because if you set it so that max and min are the same but keep the governor as is your phone will still be checking to see what is required of it and that wastes precious resources!

Answer #3: " No, it is not worth the risk unless you very much need every increase you can get." - don't we all need every increase we can get??!! Haha but seriously can u further explain what you mean? I feel as if my phone is already pretty speedy but I wouldn't mind moving through the app drawer faster!

While we do need every speed increase we can, the difference between 1.2GHz and 1.5GHz is negligible. As it is I rarely lag for over a second and in all honesty the .15GHz will not affect that all that much. If you want to move through the app drawer faster the problem is probably not with your phone being slow but rather you ROM, Launcher, or Kernal. (A custom kernal, even at stock speed, can make your experience MUCH smoother.) I guess all I meant was that there are better ways then overclocking to boost your speed with the nexus :)

Answer #6: what are the factory GPU set at? Will overclocking the GPU be noticeable? And is that only accomplished via kernel too?

The factory settings on the GPU are 307MHz but it is underclocked. It is intended to be run at 384MHz. Overclocking the GPU from 307MHz to 512MHz is noticeable. Do a nenmark test now. With the GPU at 512 I get 32FPS so it is a huge difference WHEN gaming. If you don't game, not worth it at all. Unfortunately, again, that too, requires a kernal. :*(