should i get my son the nexus?

lowfatdog

Reaction score
Should I consider the nexus as a phone for my 17 year old? I have the Max and my wife has the galaxy s3. I read there are some issues with reception on the nexus.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Should I consider the nexus as a phone for my 17 year old? I have the Max and my wife has the galaxy s3. I read there are some issues with reception on the nexus.

The reception is fine.

Is your son a kid that would enjoy all the customization the Nexus offers or would he leave the phone the way it is? If he would get involved with roms and such the Nexus is the best pick you could ever make. And now the price is right...

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Wow awesome dad for getting your son a smartphone at 17! Any way does your son like computers and modifying things. The Nexus is a very good phone and while it has reception issues occasionally its a rarity. I will say if I had to choose a new phone now I would rechoose my nexus. Its lightening quick, gets great battery life and reception and overall I feel is the best android out. I'm currently running JellyBean as well.

OP
L

lowfatdog

Reaction score
He is autistic so he would not be changing things around without his older brothers help. He es mildly autistic so will be fine using it but I just want him to have a phone that will work good for things like playing music and simple surfing along with videos while on wifi.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
He is autistic so he would not be changing things around without his older brothers help. He es mildly autistic so will be fine using it but I just want him to have a phone that will work good for things like playing music and simple surfing along with videos while on wifi.

Then I'd say any phone should work just fine.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So would the phone be activated or no?

If it's just for media you can't really go wrong with any of the phones available right now, especially the top tier ones. However, I will say this, the Rezound and the Nexus have the two best screens available on Verizon's lineup, imo. I have heard the s3 has a great screen, but haven't seen it for myself yet.

OP
L

lowfatdog

Reaction score
The phone will be activated. He has always had a flip top phone without the internet. He will love anything I am sure. We got him the nexus. He gets it tonight. Thanks for your help guys!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The phone will be activated. He has always had a flip top phone without the internet. He will love anything I am sure. We got him the nexus. He gets it tonight. Thanks for your help guys!
Congrats, hope your son enjoys it. But I'm pretty sure he will, it's about to be Christmas in July for him
The smart phone is suitable to your son.. the price is reasonable now...
I'd replace "reasonable" with "cheap".:D

My Nexus is worth every penny of the $249 + tax I paid for it release day:hail:

OP
L

lowfatdog

Reaction score
His phone won't keep a signal in 4g. It will dial and then will never actually say connected and then it says no connection or something like that. My Max my sons Max and the s3 have solid connections. His 4g goes away and shows an x inside where the bars are. 3g works fine. I am kinds bummed because the phone looks like it would be a great phone. We are probably gonna go ahead and get the S3 instead. I am to concerned with the signal to chance it again. Thanks for your help guys.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
There is a way to keep it just 3g.
Go to settings, right under Data Usage there's a more option, then go into mobile networks, and under network mode there are two options;Lte/cdma and cdma. Cdma keeps it in 3g and of course lte/cdma means that it'll search for 4g and when it doesn't find 4g it'll search for 3g instead.