S3 or Gnex

alboboy10

Reaction score
It'll be the first with jb. That's enough for me to stay with it

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Galaxy Nexus is no longer contraband, as it is back on the Google Play store. And the devs have worked their magic on the SGS3 and managed to get a custom recovery on it.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Gnexus because you basicly going to root it because ppl have hate on touchwiz.

S3 is only better if u really like stock tw.
If not buy galaxy nexus on gsm in ebay

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jjhiza

Reaction score
Gnexus because you basicly going to root it because the hate ppl have on touchwiz.

S3 is only better if u really like stock tw.
If not buy galaxy nexus on gsm in ebay

I think it might be a bit more complicated than you're making it. The Gnex is, obviously, pure Google, and will get all updates faster, and for a longer period of time. The VZW version has 32gb of internal storage, while the GSM only has 16gb. There's tons on developer support IF you're into rooting, and if not, the phone it great as-is. The SGS3, meanwhile, has a better CPU (quad core outside of the US and dual core within the USA), but benchmark results don't seem to be THAT much better overall. It has a micro SD slot, expandable to 64gb, which the Nexus doesn't, a gorilla glass Super AMOLED+ display, which the Nexus doesn't have, a better camera sensor, and a larger screen. However, the screen has a lower ppi than the Nexus, and a 2100 mAh battery. Unfortunately, it also has Touchwiz, complete with their Nature UX (looks pretty, but I'm not a fan). The SGS3 does sport one really sweet feature, and that's the pop up video (like picture in picture)- a feature I'd love to see ported to the Nexus, since it adds an extra dimension to multitasking.

Honestly, I think it's a tough call for anyone on the fence...I'm a fan of AOSP, and I root, so the Nexus was a no-brainer (especially for only $150), but for people who don't care about that stuff, the SGS3 offers plenty of benefits.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nice comparison. I personally would just root galaxy s3 to get stock. But, not everyone isn't into rooting or messing their warranty. But if carrier pulled worldwide galaxy s3 I would get it in heart beat.

Kinda disappointed with no quad-core neither galaxy s3 or htc one x.

Both sporting it in Europe. But, Verizon will get quad core phone before the year end.

jjhiza

Reaction score
I agree. The dual core US variant is actually faster than the GSM version, from what I've seen, so the dual core vs quad core won't be too much of an issue. The problem some people will have is that VZW is offering two versions...a 16gb and a 32gb version. After Touchwiz, Samsung, and Verizon bloat are added, the 16gb version may only have 8gb left for actually usage, whereas the 32gb one would still have 24gb left. The real problem is that the price difference between the two is about $60...add that to the cancellation of your unlimited plan (unless you're sneaky like me, lol), and you're looking at a very expensive device. Rooting will remove the bloat, of course, but if rooting is your game, I would suggest the Nexus, hands down. There's no dealing with Heimdall, Odin, Kies, or anything else to root or flash...just a Windows program to unlock the bootloader, root the phone, install touch cwm, and you're off to the races! :)

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sound like what Motorola did with DROID RAZR.

8 gb internal for media or games.
Plus 3 gb for apps.
I was wondering what happen to 5 gb internal storage left? Oh well.

Hopefully, Samsung can do nexus s. Put 2 gb internal for apps and almost 13 gb for media, games and ect.

I agree. The dual core US variant is actually faster than the GSM version, from what I've seen, so the dual core vs quad core won't be too much of an issue. The problem some people will have is that VZW is offering two versions...a 16gb and a 32gb version. After Touchwiz, Samsung, and Verizon bloat are added, the 16gb version may only have 8gb left for actually usage, whereas the 32gb one would still have 24gb left. The real problem is that the price difference between the two is about $60...add that to the cancellation of your unlimited plan (unless you're sneaky like me, lol), and you're looking at a very expensive device. Rooting will remove the bloat, of course, but if rooting is your game, I would suggest the Nexus, hands down. There's no dealing with Heimdall, Odin, Kies, or anything else to root or flash...just a Windows program to unlock the bootloader, root the phone, install touch cwm, and you're off to the races! :)

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nah i would buy a new Verizon phone from Craigslist. Stay with my DROID razr as my contract phone.

Now that sneaky lol...

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had the Bionic for a while and I hated how they split the memory between system, SD, SD-EXT etc...

You couldn't tell what was going on.

With the GNEX everything goes into one drive as it should.

What's funny is when I asked why Moto did the memory that way the answer was to comply with upcoming Google versions. I guess Google doesn't agree.

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
I don't get why the locked boot loader is such a big deal. I mean unless you buy a phone out right I don't think it should be a issue. Its like complaining about not being able to tune/add bells and whistles to a car you leased vs a car you bought.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't get why the locked boot loader is such a big deal. I mean unless you buy a phone out right I don't think it should be a issue. Its like complaining about not being able to tune/add bells and whistles to a car you leased vs a car you bought.

To 99.9% of the people who buy it they won't care.

To the other .01 who actually mod their phones they will care.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score

One problem with your analogy...you aren't leasing a phone. Even if you buy it at upgrade price it is still your phone. Locking the boot loader is simply telling users that it is, in fact, not your device and you are not free to do with it as you please.

To use your analogy (correctly), it would be like buying a car and then not being able to make modifications to it.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One problem with your analogy...you aren't leasing a phone. Even if you buy it at upgrade price it is still your phone. Locking the boot loader is simply telling users that it is, in fact, not your device and you are not free to do with it as you please.

To use your analogy (correctly), it would be like buying a car and then not being able to make modifications to it.

This. This exactly.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score

All :hail: the King!!!!!