Should I buy the RAZR maxx?

GSdub510

Reaction score
brad92 said:
Speaking of dead pixels, do all of y'all have the splotches on the screen? Usually visible in the dark when there's a black back lit screen on the phone?

Yes and there are a ton of them. Apparently these splotches are normal for Amoled screens but I feel like there are way too many on my screen. Can't even watch things in the dark because whenever the background is black its hard to see because of all the spots and blotches..

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
im ditching moto for samsung

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
good call...do you sell on ebay btw?

but seriously, i watched one movie on Netflix and that in itself was 5 GB. How does Verizon expect people to last on a few gigs a month without overages???

Yes, but I'm not ready to let them go yet, just got my MAXX a couple weeks ago. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There have been articles in teh past week that said the next Nexus phones will come out in the fall and will be made by 5 different manufacturers, and reportedly available straight through the Play store. If it is possible to get a cdma phone from them, that is most likely how I will be purchasing my next phone.

I think you misinterpreted. It's to be made by Samsung and will be simultaneously released as the same phone on 5 different carriers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

GSdub510

Reaction score
When I picked up my Maxx 10 days ago I signed a 2 year contract, so what happens if I return it? Can I go back to my Fascinate, wait a couple months, and get a new phone and keep my unlimited data?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I think you misinterpreted. It's to be made by Samsung and will be simultaneously released as the same phone on 5 different carriers.

Actually, thebeeobee has the rumors pretty straight. A couple weeks ago, the Wall Street Journal said there are going to be five different Nexus devices that would be made by multiple manufacturers (nothing was said about five different manufacturers, just multiple manufacturers). Along with that, the rumor also says Google will sell them directly through the Play Store like with what they're doing now for the GSM Galaxy Nexus in the U.S. and cut out carriers altogether. While I'd applaud the move if true, it's really not the best thing that could happen for those of us on Verizon since I seriously doubt Verizon will be letting those phones on their CDMA network.

Here are a few stories on it:

Engadget
Droid-Life
Wired

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
GSdub510 said:
good call...do you sell on ebay btw?

but seriously, i watched one movie on Netflix and that in itself was 5 GB. How does Verizon expect people to last on a few gigs a month without overages???

That's exactly what they want to happen. The "average" smartphone user does not go over 1gb of data a month. I advise my customers to use wifi whenever possible, if they are worried about going over.

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Actually, thebeeobee has the rumors pretty straight. A couple weeks ago, the Wall Street Journal said there are going to be five different Nexus devices that would be made by multiple manufacturers (nothing was said about five different manufacturers, just multiple manufacturers). Along with that, the rumor also says Google will sell them directly through the Play Store like with what they're doing now for the GSM Galaxy Nexus in the U.S. and cut out carriers altogether. While I'd applaud the move if true, it's really not the best thing that could happen for those of us on Verizon since I seriously doubt Verizon will be letting those phones on their CDMA network.

Here are a few stories on it:

Engadget
Droid-Life
Wired

YES!

I mean, you can buy a Verizon Iphone straight from Apple...I don't see why you won't be able to buy a Verizon Nexus straight through Google in the future. But we shall see.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
YES!

I mean, you can buy a Verizon Iphone straight from Apple...I don't see why you won't be able to buy a Verizon Nexus straight through Google in the future. But we shall see.

Because Verizon would have to agree to it, sanction the phone, get their cut of the profits, and allow the devices to be activated on their CDMA network (which means they'll have to put each of those phones in the system). This works with Apple because Apple is in a way just serving as an authorized retailer for Verizon. The phones Apple sells for use on Verizon are phones that have already been purchased by Verizon. Verizon already has the phones in their system, Verizon has already approved the phones for use on their network, Verizon has already their proprietary software on there (there's next to no bloat on the iPhone, but there is other programming done in order for the phone to work on Verizon's network), and Verizon is getting their cut of the profits (which isn't much from the initial sale, but it ultimately works in their favor). With the model Google presumably wants to use (based on the Nexus One and the Galaxy Nexus), Verizon would be completely cut out from the process. If that's the case, Verizon isn't likely to put the required information into their system in order for the phones to operate on their CDMA network.

For strictly LTE use, this shouldn't be a problem as non-Verizon approved phones are supposed to work just fine as long as they have the required bands. But since there isn't LTE everywhere, a user would be limited in where they can use their phone. A LTE-only device also wouldn't allow voice or SMS at this point.

So, what Google supposedly wants to do is very different from what Apple does. Google's plan would work just fine with GSM carriers, but not so well with CDMA carriers. It's part of the reason why a lot of people say the Verizon Galaxy Nexus isn't truly a Google Nexus device. Google can't just update the device as they see fit. Verizon still has to approve everything that happens to it. I doubt Verizon would be willing to relinquish that control.

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Because Verizon would have to agree to it, sanction the phone, get their cut of the profits, and allow the devices to be activated on their CDMA network (which means they'll have to put each of those phones in the system). This works with Apple because Apple is in a way just serving as an authorized retailer for Verizon. The phones Apple sells for use on Verizon are phones that have already been purchased by Verizon. Verizon already has the phones in their system, Verizon has already approved the phones for use on their network, Verizon has already their proprietary software on there (there's next to no bloat on the iPhone, but there is other programming done in order for the phone to work on Verizon's network), and Verizon is getting their cut of the profits (which isn't much from the initial sale, but it ultimately works in their favor). With the model Google presumably wants to use (based on the Nexus One and the Galaxy Nexus), Verizon would be completely cut out from the process. If that's the case, Verizon isn't likely to put the required information into their system in order for the phones to operate on their CDMA network.

For strictly LTE use, this shouldn't be a problem as non-Verizon approved phones are supposed to work just fine as long as they have the required bands. But since there isn't LTE everywhere, a user would be limited in where they can use their phone.

So, what Google supposedly wants to do is very different from what Apple does. Google's plan would work just fine with GSM carriers, but not so well with CDMA carriers. It's part of the reason why a lot of people say the Verizon Galaxy Nexus isn't truly a Google Nexus device. Google can't just update the device as they see fit. Verizon still has to approve everything that happens to it. I doubt Verizon would be willing to relinquish that control.

Google did try to sell a Verizon version of the Nexus One originally, I remember, but it just never materialized. It had a permanent "Coming Soon" message. I just have a hunch that they will make it work this time.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Google did try to sell a Verizon version of the Nexus One originally, I remember, but it just never materialized. It had a permanent "Coming Soon" message. I just have a hunch that they will make it work this time.

That was in cooperation with Verizon, and it would have been pretty much the same situation as with Apple selling the iPhone. With the Nexus One, Verizon ultimately decided that the Droid Incredible was far too similar, so they canned their support for the Nexus and stuck with the Incredible. Google couldn't release a Verizon Nexus One without Verizon's approval due to the proprietary CDMA programming and the need for Verizon to put every single one of the devices into their system in order to allow network access. Save for a LTE-only device with Verizon bands (which will have severe limitations from the outset due to no 3G or voice support), Google can't bypass Verizon on their Nexus devices even if they wanted to.

Edit: I think we've taken this thread far enough off topic. A new thread should be created to discuss the possibility of future Nexus devices on Verizon if Google decides to bypass carriers...which will be a short thread because it can't happen until Verizon is 100% LTE (including VoLTE). :)

jas545

Reaction score
Have any of u guys heard of or having any problems with the screen cracking on the Razr phones.