Should I buy the RAZR maxx?

map11586

Reaction score
I have an upgrade available with Verizon and currently am using the droid incredible 2. I was considering waiting for the droid incredible 4G but played around with the RAZR maxx the other day and liked it a lot. I'm more of an htc fan myself (after experiencing numerous problems with my droid 2) but was wondering if I should come back to Motorola for this phone. Has anyone noticed any major issues. I've been reading a ton of reviews and am struggling to find anything negative about this phone. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Depends on how you use a phone. Tell us more about your intended usage.

OP
M

map11586

Reaction score
Besides the obvious text messaging, phone calls and emails, I do most of my Internet browsing on my phone now (half hour to an hour each day), watch videos occasionally and use it all day at work to listen to the radio (TuneIn and pandora). I use the Gps feature weekly in the car and several times a week on the golf course. I rarely take pictures or video. Other than that I like to find new puzzle games on the market and am usually always in the middle of being addicted to one game -lol. Hope this helps!

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Besides the obvious text messaging, phone calls and emails, I do most of my Internet browsing on my phone now (half hour to an hour each day), watch videos occasionally and use it all day at work to listen to the radio (TuneIn and pandora). I use the Gps feature weekly in the car and several times a week on the golf course. I rarely take pictures or video. Other than that I like to find new puzzle games on the market and am usually always in the middle of being addicted to one game -lol. Hope this helps!

Yeah, the Razr Maxx is perfect for those things.

The Incredible 4G is going to have the next generation processor and GPU, so if hardcore gaming and graphics was your thing, it would probably be a better choice to play the latest and greatest.

But the Maxx battery life will blow your mind. And while I was firmly in the camp of "screen size doesn't matter" before I got this phone, going back to an iphone or my OG Droid to do anything SUCKS. I love browsing on this screen.

I was waiting for the Incredible 4G Lte, as well, but am very happy that I gave up the wait and got this phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The RAZR MAXX is a great phone. I've had the OG Droid, D2 & OG RAZR. The MAXX if by far the best yet and is everything good about the RAZR, and none of the bad (insufficient battery). I love my MAXX.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Yep, you're the perfect candidate for the RAZR MAXX. You won't be disappointed.

GSdub510

Reaction score
i would wait for the razr hd...i got the maxx just because i wanted to keep my unlimited but the hd will have better specs. i'm probably going to return it tomorrow and wait for the hd or sgsIII..plus the dumb dead pixels kinda ticked me off!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Dead pixels are very uncommon anymore, so I would just chock it up to statistical odds, you win, LOL (shame it's not the lottery)! Seriously though, it should be replaced for a Brand New one within 14 days. As for the better specs of the vanquish (Droid Razr HD), I am not sure exactly what they'll be (better camera, better display, faster processor (possibly quad core?) are all highly expected), but it should be awesome considering it's built on the Razr platform.

I just question whether it's really worth the premium price against what you'll be able to get the MAXX for. The bargain price of the MAXX now is incredibly difficult to pass up and there are specials running every so often that just blow the doors in on the pricing.

GSdub510

Reaction score
i wouldn't qualify it as a bargain necessarily...the tax on the phone was from the $649.99 price, and with the $30 upgrade fee, cost $290 over here...

all i really want to know is when verizon will truly get rid of unlimited and introduce shared plans...unlimited is the sole reason why i'm still with them.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sorry, I meant bargain against the introductory price. I did however forget the new $30 upgrade fee. I didn't have that either when I upgraded.

As for getting rid of Unlimited, I don't look forward to that day. I am still on 2 grandfathered plans for me and my wife. I will do whatever it takes to keep them. If I do upgrade in the future, I'll buy outright and sell the MAXXs to defray the cost.

GSdub510

Reaction score
good call...do you sell on ebay btw?

but seriously, i watched one movie on Netflix and that in itself was 5 GB. How does Verizon expect people to last on a few gigs a month without overages???

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant bargain against the introductory price. I did however forget the new $30 upgrade fee. I didn't have that either when I upgraded.

As for getting rid of Unlimited, I don't look forward to that day. I am still on 2 grandfathered plans for me and my wife. I will do whatever it takes to keep them. If I do upgrade in the future, I'll buy outright and sell the MAXXs to defray the cost.

There have been articles in teh past week that said the next Nexus phones will come out in the fall and will be made by 5 different manufacturers, and reportedly available straight through the Play store. If it is possible to get a cdma phone from them, that is most likely how I will be purchasing my next phone.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Speaking of dead pixels, do all of y'all have the splotches on the screen? Usually visible in the dark when there's a black back lit screen on the phone?

SANhacker

Reaction score
No dead pixels. No splotches. Beautiful screen in a non "Maxx" version.

I've never been so happy with a phone. Coming from a rooted OG which ran every ROM you could imagine. Now running stock and loving it !!

Reaction score
SANhacker said:
No dead pixels. No splotches. Beautiful screen in a non "Maxx" version.

I've never been so happy with a phone. Coming from a rooted OG which ran every ROM you could imagine. Now running stock and loving it !!

Same here.