Should I buy a ThunderBolt out of contract?

doomedromance

Reaction score
I am really really sick of this Droid 2 that VZW replaced my Droid with. I'm sick of Moto services invading my phone and slowing it down. There's no true ASOP build. This phone sucks balls.

I was set on buying an Incredible 2 OoC b/c it was cheap at $440 and saving my upgrade till later, but where I'm moving to next week already has LTE towers.

Do I really want to wait 2 months using this laggy trash? And possibly end up getting a TB anyway because the other phones coming out suck.

Or do I want to get a TB turn it into a BAMF and save my upgrade till later in the Q4 2011/Q1 2012 when NFC Ice Cream Sandwich phones come out.

OP
D

doomedromance

Reaction score
Charge is not an option. That cheap plasticy back that scratches easy is a no go. If i wanted scratches all over the back of my phone I'd buy a 3GS.

Revolution is not an option. Bing...

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Man, it's a lot of coin to drop for a phone ... but if you got it - I'd definitely recommend this device. I was skeptical with mine at first, but after rooting it and running a custom ROM/kernel I am very happy with it.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums

Chimuel

Reaction score
I finally just pulled the trigger and bought myself both a Droid X and an HTC Thunderbolt (I came from a Blackberry Storm 9530). These are my first Android devices and I've got to say both phones are amazing (running .595 on my DX and the most recent vzw OTA on the TB). I prefer the DX because of the sleeker profile and the lighter weight. I've yet to try LTE on the TB because I'd have to drive 3+ hours to use it.

HTC's Sense is definitely amazing, and seems to run much smoother and prettier than BLUR (Haven't seen it since my old HTC winmo phones).

I haven't tried the INC2, so I can't give you any input on that.

OP
D

doomedromance

Reaction score
Man, it's a lot of coin to drop for a phone ... but if you got it - I'd definitely recommend this device. I was skeptical with mine at first, but after rooting it and running a custom ROM/kernel I am very happy with it.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums

Yeah I know it's a lot of money that's why first I was only thinking about the DInc2. But I found out I'll be inside the range of Honolulu Int'l LTE tower so I can get 4G.

Right now is probably the only time in my life where I'll have money I can blow like this. I'm really sick of this D2. I'd honestly trade someone a D1 for my D2

I finally just pulled the trigger and bought myself both a Droid X and an HTC Thunderbolt (I came from a Blackberry Storm 9530). These are my first Android devices and I've got to say both phones are amazing (running .595 on my DX and the most recent vzw OTA on the TB). I prefer the DX because of the sleeker profile and the lighter weight. I've yet to try LTE on the TB because I'd have to drive 3+ hours to use it.

HTC's Sense is definitely amazing, and seems to run much smoother and prettier than BLUR (Haven't seen it since my old HTC winmo phones).

I haven't tried the INC2, so I can't give you any input on that.

The DX wouldn't be much different from my D2. I'd have exactly the same gripes +1 (no physical keyboard)

I'm sure your thunderbolt w/o 4G is pretty much the same as the DInc2.

Chimuel

Reaction score
You could just root and get rid of all that crapware and limit blur and you save yourself a few quid.

My DX is pretty quick (again, stock .595 GB)

Both the Inc2 and TB are keyboardless so I wouldn't put a strike against the DX for not having a keyboard.

In your case since you're going to be in a 4G area, I'd get the TB just so I'd get grandfathered into the unlimited 4G data plan at $29.99 (as I did, future proofing for when 4G is turned on for my area by the end of this year).

DroidStang

Reaction score
I can say unless you bought a TB that was a lemon, I can say enough about this phone, I hardly every use my netbook anymore, this thing does everything from printing to my wireless printer, to now just figured out how to connect wirelessly to my windows 7 computer, play music that's on my TB through my pc, movies, these thing rocks. If you are buying out right, and getting verizon service, then do the contract, get it for 150.00, at end of 2 years, the phones is yours anyways.

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
had an x since the first day (paid for that too) i paid for my TB and wish i didnt at this point. got a 3rd one coming fedex tomorrow....

its a lot of money to pay for hassles, horriffic battry life and a phone that doesn't have as good reception. but i will say, when it works and i am in a good area, the things rocks. it handles exchange much better and a real copy paste are what is keeping me with this phone for now.

jeremycnly

Reaction score
I am really really sick of this Droid 2 that VZW replaced my Droid with. I'm sick of Moto services invading my phone and slowing it down. There's no true ASOP build. This phone sucks balls.

I was set on buying an Incredible 2 OoC b/c it was cheap at $440 and saving my upgrade till later, but where I'm moving to next week already has LTE towers.

Do I really want to wait 2 months using this laggy trash? And possibly end up getting a TB anyway because the other phones coming out suck.

Or do I want to get a TB turn it into a BAMF and save my upgrade till later in the Q4 2011/Q1 2012 when NFC Ice Cream Sandwich phones come out.

Thunderbolt is not worth full price, its basically a year old EVO with LTE screwed in. How much is it I believe 500 or 600 full price? If you wanna drop that much on top of your already existing phone bill for a faster internet connection I suggest you look in into a laptop and cable internet at that price point. Other then that, put the extra money in your account and wait 2 months.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

DroidStang

Reaction score
So back to my original stand. If you contract, go with 2 year contact @150 for the phone, hate service, cancel, pay 275.00 for terminating how is buying at 600 worth it, still need a carrier ,sorry if I am missing something here, you still keep phone after 2 years or if cancel

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:

cc16177

Reaction score
From reading your original post I would not recommend buying the TB at full price. Put a decent ROM on your D2 and wait for the Bionic or something that is actually better than your D2 other than the LTE... I came from a DX to the TB and while it is a little snappier it's nothing that would justify a $600 price tag...

In fact the ONLY reason I got the TB when I did is because I wanted to get locked into unl 4g for $29.99 (and who knows if that will even stick) plus I take all five upgrades on my account so I can just get the Bionic when it comes out.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Where is the "I don't care" option

You need to go to the store and play with the phone(s) yourself, don't let nobody sell you or not sell you on the TB. You may pick up the phone based on positive responses a great experience or have horrible experience. Everybody will have a difference of opinion on the battery life, gps hardware, etc for various reasons. I'm not even going to tell you where I stand because my opinion will parallel others while at the same time contradict others.

I can understand if you are a developer and you are asking your followers what phone should I develop ROMs for next, but really.....what phone should I buy. If you are that unsure of yourself, then I'd say hold on to your money until you can come to a decision on your own. If you have that kind of dough then pick one up for the next 14 days at the retail price and give it a whirl. If you don't like it then take it back because a $35 dollar restocking fee is a lot cheaper than $600.

This isn't meant to be a attack but let's be realistic here, it's your money not ours.

Last edited:

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I don't understand how someone can voice there opinions on a device they don't even own. This is directed at jeremycnly who testimony is completely biased because a friend had a bad experience, yet he has never owned the phone.

I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion regardless of whether they own something or not, but it should just be made clear to the OP that jeremycnly doesn't own the product, so I wouldn't let his opinion influence your or anybody decision too much should you decide to go along with anyone's advice from this thread.

OP
D

doomedromance

Reaction score
Thank you for all the input.

As for rooting and roming. My D2 has been rooted almost the whole time. It's running Gingerbread right now. It still sucks. All the custom roms are buggy and have never been a "bugless beast" All the developers are running DXs and port to the D2. They are more amazing than anything I could to myself, but all still have blur services in them that just help to bog my phone down. Something's always broken or sluggish. I'm just tired of it.

I figured if I sell my D2 then sell the Thunderbolt later I'd only be out a few hundred dollars really. I definitely don't want to wait till my upgrade in 2 months and waste it on a phone that's basically already almost a year old. (it's pretty much an EVO 4G)

Waiting 2 months and buying a TB under contract doesn't make sense to me. No way I'd want that phone for 2 years. I figured it could hold me off for 6months till a decent phone came out. Like the HTC Sensation/Pyramid or better.

Maybe I can get past the fact that the SGSII has no search button, something I use all the time. No way in hell I'm getting a Bionic unless it's a Google experience device. Blur has Blurred my love for Motorola phones. (I have had 6 phones in my life. 1 Nokia and 5 Motorolas) By "upgrading" my broken Droid to a Droid 2 all VZW has done is greatly downgrade my user experience with my phone.

edit: I may go in and look at the TB again today. I forgot about the unlimited 4G. I average about 2.7 GBs per month. With 4G i'm sure that will go up, because there's things i just dont even try and do b/c I don't want to wait for page loads. I don't even know how I transfer so much data. I barely watch like a dozen Youtube videos a month. No pandora. Must be all the reinstalling apps and rom downloads from me constantly screwing with my pos phone.

Last edited: