Should I buy a ThunderBolt out of contract?

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by doomedromance, May 19, 2011.

1. doomedromance

doomedromance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am really really sick of this Droid 2 that VZW replaced my Droid with. I'm sick of Moto services invading my phone and slowing it down. There's no true ASOP build. This phone sucks balls.

I was set on buying an Incredible 2 OoC b/c it was cheap at $440 and saving my upgrade till later, but where I'm moving to next week already has LTE towers.

Do I really want to wait 2 months using this laggy trash? And possibly end up getting a TB anyway because the other phones coming out suck.

Or do I want to get a TB turn it into a BAMF and save my upgrade till later in the Q4 2011/Q1 2012 when NFC Ice Cream Sandwich phones come out.

2. doomedromance

doomedromance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Charge is not an option. That cheap plasticy back that scratches easy is a no go. If i wanted scratches all over the back of my phone I'd buy a 3GS.

Revolution is not an option. Bing...

3. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +261
    Man, it's a lot of coin to drop for a phone ... but if you got it - I'd definitely recommend this device. I was skeptical with mine at first, but after rooting it and running a custom ROM/kernel I am very happy with it.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums

4. Chimuel

Chimuel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I finally just pulled the trigger and bought myself both a Droid X and an HTC Thunderbolt (I came from a Blackberry Storm 9530). These are my first Android devices and I've got to say both phones are amazing (running .595 on my DX and the most recent vzw OTA on the TB). I prefer the DX because of the sleeker profile and the lighter weight. I've yet to try LTE on the TB because I'd have to drive 3+ hours to use it.

HTC's Sense is definitely amazing, and seems to run much smoother and prettier than BLUR (Haven't seen it since my old HTC winmo phones).

I haven't tried the INC2, so I can't give you any input on that.

5. doomedromance

doomedromance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I know it's a lot of money that's why first I was only thinking about the DInc2. But I found out I'll be inside the range of Honolulu Int'l LTE tower so I can get 4G.

Right now is probably the only time in my life where I'll have money I can blow like this. I'm really sick of this D2. I'd honestly trade someone a D1 for my D2

The DX wouldn't be much different from my D2. I'd have exactly the same gripes +1 (no physical keyboard)

I'm sure your thunderbolt w/o 4G is pretty much the same as the DInc2.

6. Chimuel

Chimuel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You could just root and get rid of all that crapware and limit blur and you save yourself a few quid.

My DX is pretty quick (again, stock .595 GB)

Both the Inc2 and TB are keyboardless so I wouldn't put a strike against the DX for not having a keyboard.

In your case since you're going to be in a 4G area, I'd get the TB just so I'd get grandfathered into the unlimited 4G data plan at $29.99 (as I did, future proofing for when 4G is turned on for my area by the end of this year).

7. DroidStang

DroidStang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can say unless you bought a TB that was a lemon, I can say enough about this phone, I hardly every use my netbook anymore, this thing does everything from printing to my wireless printer, to now just figured out how to connect wirelessly to my windows 7 computer, play music that's on my TB through my pc, movies, these thing rocks. If you are buying out right, and getting verizon service, then do the contract, get it for 150.00, at end of 2 years, the phones is yours anyways.

8. plumcrazy

plumcrazy Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    had an x since the first day (paid for that too) i paid for my TB and wish i didnt at this point. got a 3rd one coming fedex tomorrow....

its a lot of money to pay for hassles, horriffic battry life and a phone that doesn't have as good reception. but i will say, when it works and i am in a good area, the things rocks. it handles exchange much better and a real copy paste are what is keeping me with this phone for now.

9. jeremycnly

jeremycnly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thunderbolt is not worth full price, its basically a year old EVO with LTE screwed in. How much is it I believe 500 or 600 full price? If you wanna drop that much on top of your already existing phone bill for a faster internet connection I suggest you look in into a laptop and cable internet at that price point. Other then that, put the extra money in your account and wait 2 months.
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

10. DroidStang

DroidStang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So back to my original stand. If you contract, go with 2 year contact @150 for the phone, hate service, cancel, pay 275.00 for terminating how is buying at 600 worth it, still need a carrier ,sorry if I am missing something here, you still keep phone after 2 years or if cancel

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

#10 DroidStang, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
  11. cc16177

cc16177 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From reading your original post I would not recommend buying the TB at full price. Put a decent ROM on your D2 and wait for the Bionic or something that is actually better than your D2 other than the LTE... I came from a DX to the TB and while it is a little snappier it's nothing that would justify a $600 price tag...

In fact the ONLY reason I got the TB when I did is because I wanted to get locked into unl 4g for $29.99 (and who knows if that will even stick) plus I take all five upgrades on my account so I can just get the Bionic when it comes out.

12. Captmilk

Captmilk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The bionic..............wait for it

Search tags for this page

can i use my verizon htc thunderbolt with a no contract plan